Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are you saying the AWD submissions have already been made?

I'm saying the VIN's were submitted to the EHVIP program by Tesla for AWD. What else is required, if anything, I'm not sure but from that I'm extrapolating that Tesla has probably done their part already and yes, it's in Provincial hands. It would be nice to confirm this with another source but I thought it was worth throwing it out there as it seemed like new information.

I'm not suggesting anyone go out and change their order, just trying to provide some info as I know there are a few that ordered AWD and will take it regardless but that would be a huge bonus for anyone that had ordered by the 29th.

Keeping in mind, a changed order would likely reflect a new order date which would disqualify you from the rebate.

The point is, it would appear it's not Tesla's fault that the AWD isn't on the list.

Reactions: PAWilson
Just got off the phone with Tesla. In order to qualify for the Ontario rebate I can change the cars configuration to RW from AWD and it will not change my order date of June 26th so I can still qualify as its before the July 3rd deadline.
I would be cautious regarding that since Tesla doesn’t make the rules. I’m in the same situation but without written confirmation from Ontario Ministry I wouldn’t take that as official policy. The Ministry website stated differently during the March policy change.

The problem we have is the program is ending....

Just like any other project/program, nobody will add anything new to something that will end. If you are managed that program, you have an qualified date, said June 29; but you don't know how many contracts (order, purchase agreement whatever you think it means) that are confirmed before that date, esp Tesla just opened the floodgate on June 27/28 (do they know something).

If you have more than enough contracts that meet the requirement, i.e. the approved list, are you going to add more items into the list?

If you do, for example, add model 3 AWD to the approved list, can u pay those that are in AWD and not pay those that are in RWD; if you pay both, you will be way over the budget. Other EV dealers (lucky, there is none), may start saying my other EV trim should be in the list because it is under $75K. The line in the sand is June 29, any items added after that date may not be valid or approved.

The simple answer, of course, is just add AWD to the list and everybody is happy, does MTO even has the power to do so? We don't even know whether a confirmed order is considered a 'contract".

Though I did order RWD, I actually want a AWD, but the good people in this thread has already indicated that AWD is not in the list, and won't get approved. Therefore, I am forced to order RWD.

Just like any other project/program, nobody will add anything new to something that will end. If you are managed that program, you have an qualified date, said June 29; but you don't know how many contracts (order, purchase agreement whatever you think it means) that are confirmed before that date, esp Tesla just opened the floodgate on June 27/28 (do they know something).

If you have more than enough contracts that meet the requirement, i.e. the approved list, are you going to add more items into the list?

If you do, for example, add model 3 AWD to the approved list, can u pay those that are in AWD and not pay those that are in RWD; if you pay both, you will be way over the budget. Other EV dealers (lucky, there is none), may start saying my other EV trim should be in the list because it is under $75K. The line in the sand is June 29, any items added after that date may not be valid or approved.

The simple answer, of course, is just add AWD to the list and everybody is happy, does MTO even has the power to do so? We don't even know whether a confirmed order is considered a 'contract".

Though I did order RWD, I actually want a AWD, but the good people in this thread has already indicated that AWD is not in the list, and won't get approved. Therefore, I am forced to order RWD.

Agreed and in the same boat and if the rebate is cancelled, I'll change my order to AWD. Though I'm not worried at all about RWD.

I think Tesla opened the floodgates as their weekly numbers are now much higher and have to manage their supply chain to ensure production remains efficient.

While not specifically stated (very little is, unfortunately), I think the date on your order agreement is what will be used as your contract date. The only way I'd change my order is if I was on the phone with my advisor and they were telling me the order date would be preserved and ideally I could verify that before I got off the phone with them. Otherwise, too risky for me.

I can imagine a number of different ways this might play out but the one that makes the most sense to me is that they end the program at the end of the year however I think that's dependent on how quickly they figure out what they are going to do. For example:

From CBC:

At this stage, it clearly looks like the carbon price will be Ottawa's version. Schreiner is trying to urge Ford to adopt what he calls a "carbon fee and dividend" system: charge polluters who emit greenhouse gases, and refund all of the proceeds to Ontario taxpayers.
"He can fulfill his campaign pledge to create jobs, boost our economy, and put money in people's pockets and tackle climate change at the same time," said Schreiner.

Just got off the phone with Tesla. In order to qualify for the Ontario rebate I can change the cars configuration to RW from AWD and it will not change my order date of June 26th so I can still qualify as its before the July 3rd deadline.

This is interesting if you want to go from RWD to AWD too. On the remote chance that AWD gets added to the EHVIP list before the program is canned, I can potentially change my order to AWD while preserving my original order date.

Wait you're saying government bureaucrats would mail it in just just go through the motions just because the program they're working on is ending...?

Last edited:
Why don't you guys try emailing or calling the ministry? I already emailed them and they said that I fully qualify for the $14,000 rebate and that there's no immediate plans to end this program. They said it IS going away but any existing purchases will be honoured. They said the MTO website has the most up to date info, and if it says the program is active then it's active.
Also might be interesting to share this email as-is so we give people the security of exact official wording to reassure and also play back on should they be denied later on.

"Thank you for your inquiry. As the premier has noted, the cap and trade program is ending. We will work with the government to determine next steps with respect to MTO programs such as Electric and Hydrogen Vehicle Incentive Program (EHVIP) which is funded from cap and trade proceeds. We encourage you to visit the program’s website at www.ontario.ca/electricvehicles for the latest up to date information on the status of the program."

Why don't you guys try emailing or calling the ministry? I already emailed them and they said that I fully qualify for the $14,000 rebate and that there's no immediate plans to end this program. They said it IS going away but any existing purchases will be honoured. They said the MTO website has the most up to date info, and if it says the program is active then it's active.

"Thank you for your inquiry. As the premier has noted, the cap and trade program is ending. We will work with the government to determine next steps with respect to MTO programs such as Electric and Hydrogen Vehicle Incentive Program (EHVIP) which is funded from cap and trade proceeds. We encourage you to visit the program’s website at www.ontario.ca/electricvehicles for the latest up to date information on the status of the program."

I'm not sure I understand how your most recent post qualifies what you were saying earlier. Am I missing something?

The question is how many EV did Ontario get? or a better question is how many Tesla Model 3 orders does Ontario has?

Remember, we have $140 million funding; We only have around 6500 ish spots left. Someone was talking about 3000 cars shipped in May/June for Ontario.

I think with the floodgate open on June 27, the funding is gone. Therefore, no more money there after June 29....

PC doesn't even have to do anything.

It's hard to believe it was 3000 cars for Ontario. Even the online tracker estimates ~2500 cars for all of Canada. And it almost seems like the Canadian deliveries have all but stopped since mid June. It would be nice if that funding was used until it runs out, but I'm wondering if it would actually need to be returned if the provincial government is cancelling the cap and trade contracts.

It's hard to believe it was 3000 cars for Ontario. Even the online tracker estimates ~2500 cars for all of Canada. And it almost seems like the Canadian deliveries have all but stopped since mid June. It would be nice if that funding was used until it runs out, but I'm wondering if it would actually need to be returned if the provincial government is cancelling the cap and trade contracts.

I agree. My guess would be my # of posts on TMC for the # of Model 3’s to Ontario.

• Funny
Reactions: PAWilson