Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
BF69C8E5-6A30-4FEA-BFF1-94FDA501E945.png
I received this from Tesla this morning. They received a response from the Ontario new government.

It seems that those of us who had made the original deposit ($1000) but not the order ($3200) are totally out of luck.

I myself was purposely holding out from making the 3200 pavement because of the uncertainty of the incentive. Now I am realizing that, even if Ford decides to honour purchases made before July 11th and delivered before September 10th, those of us who were waiting to hear more information about the cancellation of the rebate are screwed. Anyone else in this boat? Seems as if I would have been much better off just paying the 3200, risking loosing the incentive.

At this point, those of us who didn’t pay the 3200 really have absolutely no hope. If I had just paid the 3200, I could at least hope for Ford to honour the rebate.

Agreed, I'm in the same boat and doing everything I can. I placed my order in early June. The way the cancellation is worded though suggests that we should be okay given the were "orders made by dealerships with manufacturers on or before July 11, will also be honoured for the incentive provided that the vehicle is delivered to consumers, registered, and plated by September 10."

Or am I misreading/misunderstanding this?

EVERYONE EMAIL THE PCS and the Greg guy. I literally CANNOT afford this car without the incentive, I've pulled all my investments out of my TFSA and borrowed the necessary money for this. The fact that this just disappears without warning isn't fair and I'm surprised is even legal at all. Lawyers? Anyone?

• Disagree
Reactions: adaptabl
Agreed, I'm in the same boat and doing everything I can. I placed my order in early June. The way the cancellation is worded though suggests that we should be okay given the were "orders made by dealerships with manufacturers on or before July 11, will also be honoured for the incentive provided that the vehicle is delivered to consumers, registered, and plated by September 10."

Or am I misreading/misunderstanding this?

EVERYONE EMAIL THE PCS and the Greg guy. I literally CANNOT afford this car without the incentive, I've pulled all my investments out of my TFSA and borrowed the necessary money for this. The fact that this just disappears without warning isn't fair and I'm surprised is even legal at all. Lawyers? Anyone?

I think we are misunderstanding each other. I meant, what hope is there for those of us who made the refundable deposit ($1000) but NOT the non-refundable order ($3200). The only reason I didn’t place the order was because I was waiting to hear more about how the rebate would be dismantled. But in doing so, it seems like I’ve screwed myself of any hope of getting the rebate. I simply woke up one day and heard it was gone.

It’s upsetting that the rebate was yanked away from under us.

Thanks for the info, now I start to believe ICE dealers / companies are pushing and gave 'orders' to PC because they afraid of EV market to grow as they see Tesla is getting ready to change the world of transportation.

For sure. Tesla getting traction in the mass market is a huge problem for ICE manufacturers and dealers and I don't know why we don't hear more about this (as well as the threat to oil companies). The general lack of competing EVs is because the manufacturers are all stalling despite the capability and years of promises to produce them. Why? Because EVs in the Tesla model destroy their dealer system and relationships - they have no direct sales channel and rely on their dealers to sell vehicles and the dealers make almost all their revenue from servicing the ICE cars they sell. The Tesla direct sales model and limited servicing, if it becomes more than niche, questions the need for all of that.

The big hope for all the big car companies and their dealers is that:
1. Tesla goes bust,
2. They maybe introduce a few more EVs if the market really forces it (premium prices no doubt)
3. They somehow introduce "EV servicing" as a concept without the bother of comparisons to Tesla's minimal servicing needs because they'd be long gone.

All these moves by Dougie and his buddies, and the wider panning of Tesla from every angle are all in line with attempts to make this a reality.

• Informative
Reactions: mahagala
Just emailed Greg, he's going to act and our story will go public. I've given him my email and phone number so that he can get in touch with me should he need to.

EVERYONE! ACT! Email people! Journalists! Lawyers! PCs! This is unfair and if we sit and do nothing about it, we're going to lose the incentive for sure!

OK, I’ve been thinking about this a bit. Tesla won’t have any success negotiating with Ford. Why? Because Ford hates them and Tesla drivers. If your local MPP is NDP or Liberal then they will likely also have no success changing Ford’s mind. Why? He hates them too. Our only hope is to petition PC MPPs and try to impress upon them just how unfair the MANNER of the wind down is to their constituents. With that in mind, I’ve crafted this email and I would recommend we all send it out to all the PC MPPs out there. If we can have Ford’s MPPs pushing him to loosen up a bit then we might have a chance…

Dear Mr./Ms. MPP,

Recently Premier Ford announced the cancellation of cap-and-trade, along with the green initiatives tied to it. Although I believe in climate change I understand that there are many ways to tackle this problem and Ontario’s Cap and Trade solution may not be the best of them. As such, my email today is not in protest to the cancellation of Cap and Trade and its associated green initiatives. Rather, it is in protest to the MANNER in which it is being cancelled, specifically in regards to the EVHIP program.

On July 11th, Premier Ford’s team announced the immediate cancellation of the program. The only way to still qualify for the rebate would be if one satisfied one of the following two conditions:
  • Eligible vehicles that have been delivered to consumers, registered, and plated on or before July 11 will receive the incentive.
  • Inventory that dealers have on lots or orders made by dealerships with manufacturers on or before July 11, will also be honoured for the incentive provided that the vehicle is delivered to consumers, registered, and plated by September 10.
Although this gives dealers a ‘wind-down’ period, it offers no such consideration to consumers. I believe this was done specifically to target Tesla buyers as they buy directly from the manufacturer, especially as Premier Ford has referred to Tesla owners as ‘downtown liberals’ and ‘millionaires’. This is simply not true. The only Tesla that is currently on the list of approved vehicles (i.e. the Model 3) is aimed at middle class Ontarians. After the rebate, gas savings, and savings on maintenance, the pricing of the Model 3 is in-line with non-luxury brands, such as Honda, Toyota, and GM. For most of us, the rebate is the difference between affordability and non-affordability. Many of us have ordered this car in good faith, placing a $4,200 non-refundable deposit. We now face a no-win scenario; either cancel our orders and lose $4,200, or commit to buying a car that we can no longer afford.

All I am asking is that Premier Ford extend to us, his constituents, the same consideration he is offering to businesses (i.e. the dealers); honour those orders that were placed prior to July 11th providing the vehicle is delivered, registered, and plated by September 10th. As it stands, it seems as though Premier Ford is intentionally targeting Tesla, but is really only hurting his people. We voted-in Premier Ford in good faith, so please don’t break faith with us now – wind down this program in an equitable manner.

Sincerely,

NAME

Take this, change it, make it your own, and then send it to ALL the PC MPPs. A complete listing of their emails can be found here: Current MPPs | Legislative Assembly of Ontario. It's time we stopped whining about how unfair this is and do what we can to fight it.

Thank you. Done!!!

Making noise will only make the media turn this into another “blame Tesla” story. The incentive was never guaranteed. One had to purchase with some caution, I know I did. $14000 is a crazy amount of money to be giving out and overall too big to sustain. If you’re stuck then switch to standard battery or get a refund and buy a Leaf for a fraction of the price.

If it was never guaranteed why are the other manufacturers given till sept? The gamble wasn’t ‘will the PCs single out Tesla’. It was whether theyd cancel the rebate and when.

Reactions: Ludatik
...and here is the letter, with the spelling fixed:

Dear Mr./Ms. MPP,

Recently Premier Ford announced the cancellation of cap-and-trade, along with the green initiatives tied to it. Although I believe in climate change I understand that there are many ways to tackle this problem and Ontario’s Cap and Trade solution may not be the best of them. As such, my email today is not in protest to the cancellation of Cap and Trade and its associated green initiatives. Rather, it is in protest to the MANNER in which it is being cancelled, specifically in regards to the EHVIP program.

On July 11th, Premier Ford’s team announced the immediate cancellation of the program. The only way to still qualify for the rebate would be if one satisfied one of the following two conditions:

• Eligible vehicles that have been delivered to consumers, registered, and plated on or before July 11 will receive the incentive.

• Inventory that dealers have on lots or orders made by dealerships with manufacturers on or before July 11, will also be honoured for the incentive provided that the vehicle is delivered to consumers, registered, and plated by September 10.
Although this gives dealers a ‘wind-down’ period, it offers no such consideration to consumers. I believe this was done specifically to target Tesla buyers as they buy directly from the manufacturer, especially as Premier Ford has referred to Tesla owners as ‘downtown liberals’ and ‘millionaires’. This is simply not true. The only Tesla that is currently on the list of approved vehicles (i.e. the Model 3) is aimed at middle class Ontarians. After the rebate, gas savings, and savings on maintenance, the pricing of the Model 3 is in-line with non-luxury brands, such as Honda, Toyota, and GM. For most of us, the rebate is the difference between affordability and non-affordability. Many of us have ordered this car in good faith, placing a $4,200 non-refundable deposit. We now face a no-win scenario; either cancel our orders and lose $4,200, or commit to buying a car that we can no longer afford.

All I am asking is that Premier Ford extend to us, his constituents, the same consideration he is offering to businesses (i.e. the dealers); honour those orders that were placed prior to July 11th providing the vehicle is delivered, registered, and plated by September 10th. As it stands, it seems as though Premier Ford is intentionally targeting Tesla, but is really only hurting his people. We voted-in Premier Ford in good faith, so please don’t break faith with us now – wind down this program in an equitable manner.

Sincerely,

Sent !

So, I called Tesla today and cancelled my reservation. I asked if I should wait to see if they come out with any potential additional incentives for buyers who are stuck in this situation, but he said once a VIN is assigned the refund is not available, so I cancelled it right away (they send you an email that you have to confirm). Also, I asked if I could keep my reservation and just change the configuration later and he said that was not possible.

For now my dream of being a Tesla owner and never paying for gas again is on hold...

Thanks everyone for your helpful comments.

I'm curious about how this information was communicated to Tesla. Did the government official specifically state that Tesla is no longer eligible? Or did they state the rules as written, and Tesla is interpreting it as they are no longer eligble because they don't consider themselves dealerships (when in fact they are registered as a dealership in Ontario).