Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Funny, if Ford said all social assistance will now only be paid to owners of their residence, thereby excluding all renters, these people would understand the fair and equal treatment concepts pretty quickly.

I’m not saying anti rebate people are on welfare. I’m saying the same principle applied to another circumstance would illustrate how people pick and choose those that get fair and equal consideration and those that don’t. It’s absolutey an ongoing popularity contest.

If we like you, we sympathize. If we don’t you get the short end of it. Or at least we want you to. Equal treatment is a fun concept to most that they pay lip service to. In practice, when you have to pick a side, most choose based on whether they like a person or group, not fairness or equal treatment.
Hitting it out of the park today!

I think he's talking about Premium Internet being free if you ordered before July 1.

It will take a while for everyone to get this bad taste out of their mouths. We've been royally screwed by Doug Ford and who knows who else.

Personally, I'm not that worried about internet. I'll be connected via wifi at home and at work. My phone has a good data plan already and can be used periodically for traffic updates if need be and their streaming service I doubt I'd have made much use of. I was hoping to go with Tidal and use a good quality DAC with my phone for that and hi-res audio files.

We had budgeted for a vehicle that included a $14k rebate. It stings. Some more than others but we're all in the same boat. Of course this is all happening as interest rates climb and the very slight possibility of auto tariffs.

Thankfully, one thing I've learned in this is that my forcasted TCO actually still justifies going with a M3 presuming no major out of warranty repairs.

I think he's talking about Premium Internet being free if you ordered before July 1.

It will take a while for everyone to get this bad taste out of their mouths. We've been royally screwed by Doug Ford and who knows who else.

Personally, I'm not that worried about internet. I'll be connected via wifi at home and at work. My phone has a good data plan already and can be used periodically for traffic updates if need be and their streaming service I doubt I'd have made much use of. I was hoping to go with Tidal and use a good quality DAC with my phone for that and hi-res audio files.

We had budgeted for a vehicle that included a $14k rebate. It stings. Some more than others but we're all in the same boat. Of course this is all happening as interest rates climb and the very slight possibility of auto tariffs.

Thankfully, one thing I've learned in this is that my forcasted TCO actually still justifies going with a M3 presuming no major out of warranty repairs.
Ahh sorry my bad. You’re right though. Taste is still there...and still bitter.

Can u tell us more? Is this an option on the website for you? Did someone from Tesla call or email you to give you that option?

I believe if you had a car reserved then you had the option sent to you by email to place an order by June 30th and you would qualify. Just like a number of other purchasers, we did place the order before June 30th and I am still holding out hope that Tesla will fight and qualify it’s buyers so they get the rebate. I am an optimistic and it’s not over until I see an official response from Tesla.

• Disagree
Reactions: adaptabl
I believe if you had a car reserved then you had the option sent to you by email to place an order by June 30th and you would qualify. Just like a number of other purchasers, we did place the order before June 30th and I am still holding out hope that Tesla will fight and qualify it’s buyers so they get the rebate. I am an optimistic and it’s not over until I see an official response from Tesla.

Tesla has already respond per se

The Ontario Government has abruptly ended the Electric & Hydrogen Vehicle Consumer Purchase Incentive (EHVIP) which had been available to Model 3 customers.

It has also cancelled the home charging incentive program effective immediately.

The Ontario Government did not provide advance warning, nor did it consult with Tesla prior to ending the program. The Ontario Government has just communicated the following to our Government Liasons: “Vehicles that have been ordered directly from an original equipment manufacturer by a consumer (i.e. direct sales, as opposed to sales through a franchised automobile dealership) but which have not been delivered, registered and plated on or before July 11, 2018 are not eligible for an EHVIP incentive.”

At this time there are no incentives available for any Tesla vehicle in Ontario, including for existing orders – as we are a direct sale company, and do not operate through franchised automobile dealerships. This information has not yet been updated or reflected on the MTO website, however, this information has been communicated directly to Tesla from Ontario Government Officials. For further information, customers may also contact the Ontario Government’s incentive program direct at 1-888-999-3793

I don't think tesla will do much fighting on this one unfortunately for a few reasons.

1. They get paid full price no matter what, the rebate goes to you not them (unlike most dealerships who typically apply on your behalf and take the amount off at time of sale).

2. They will easily still sell the car to someone else, either in Quebec, BC, or US (as well as those of us still willing to accept the car without the rebate). So again, are unlikely to be out of pocket anything here .

3. Even if they fought something, it's highly unlikely that public opinion on this one will be swayed in the next 2 months (sorry...I'm a realist :/ )

A few weeks ago when things were looking to go south I spent a few nights soul searching how much I wanted the car and decided rebate or no I would proceed....if nothing else anyone keeping their order has to be at peace with the fact that they likely won't receive the rebate.

On a plus side, that likely means resale value will be that much higher a number of years down the road (now that's me being a glass half full guy :) )

Tesla has already respond per se

The Ontario Government has abruptly ended the Electric & Hydrogen Vehicle Consumer Purchase Incentive (EHVIP) which had been available to Model 3 customers.

It has also cancelled the home charging incentive program effective immediately.

The Ontario Government did not provide advance warning, nor did it consult with Tesla prior to ending the program. The Ontario Government has just communicated the following to our Government Liasons: “Vehicles that have been ordered directly from an original equipment manufacturer by a consumer (i.e. direct sales, as opposed to sales through a franchised automobile dealership) but which have not been delivered, registered and plated on or before July 11, 2018 are not eligible for an EHVIP incentive.”

At this time there are no incentives available for any Tesla vehicle in Ontario, including for existing orders – as we are a direct sale company, and do not operate through franchised automobile dealerships. This information has not yet been updated or reflected on the MTO website, however, this information has been communicated directly to Tesla from Ontario Government Officials. For further information, customers may also contact the Ontario Government’s incentive program direct at 1-888-999-3793

Where did find this announcement? I looked on their website and haven’t been able to find it unless you received a direct email?

Can u tell us more? Is this an option on the website for you? Did someone from Tesla call or email you to give you that option?
My rep Rachel Lopez told me I had until friday to decided because there is a lot of people in the line and they need to know if im gonna cancel or not... I said: You just told me about this cut on the incentive, I need time to digest it and figure out what im gonna do, then she said I have until monday to decide so she can issue the refund in full. I also told her I would like to know if Tesla will do anything to compensate us and she said they are doing everything they can to trouble shoot this issue but it wont be anytime soon...

I don't think tesla will do much fighting on this one unfortunately for a few reasons.

1. They get paid full price no matter what, the rebate goes to you not them (unlike most dealerships who typically apply on your behalf and take the amount off at time of sale).

2. They will easily still sell the car to someone else, either in Quebec, BC, or US (as well as those of us still willing to accept the car without the rebate). So again, are unlikely to be out of pocket anything here .

3. Even if they fought something, it's highly unlikely that public opinion on this one will be swayed in the next 2 months (sorry...I'm a realist :/ )

A few weeks ago when things were looking to go south I spent a few nights soul searching how much I wanted the car and decided rebate or no I would proceed....if nothing else anyone keeping their order has to be at peace with the fact that they likely won't receive the rebate.

On a plus side, that likely means resale value will be that much higher a number of years down the road (now that's me being a glass half full guy :) )
I just sold my Bolt EV to purchase the tesla... I actually regreted... anyways, you have no idea the number of people telling me I was playing smart of collecting the 14k and now i was making money trying to sell my car at full price... i told them, try purchasing a new car, wait 4 to 6 months and hopefully by then you would still qualify for the rebate... I was right...

Weird, did only people with VIN's get the email? I didn't get anything from Telsa but I also don't have a VIN yet. Locked in my order on the 23rd of June.

I got this email too from my Rep.

I have extremely important information to communicate with you regarding your Model 3 delivery and the EV Rebate. On July 11th 2018, the Ontario Government abruptly ended the Electric & Hydrogen Vehicle Consumer Purchase Incentive (EHVIP) which had been available to Model 3 customers. It has also cancelled the home charging incentive program effective immediately. The Ontario Government did not provide advance warning, nor did it consult with Tesla prior to ending the program. The Ontario Government has just communicated the following to its stakeholders: “Vehicles that have been ordered directly from an original equipment manufacturer by a consumer (i.e. direct sales, as opposed to sales through a franchised automobile dealership) but which have not been delivered, registered and plated on or before July 11, 2018 are not eligible for an EHVIP incentive.” At this time there are no incentives available for any Tesla vehicle in Ontario, including for existing orders – as we are a direct sale company, and do not operate through franchised automobile dealerships. This information has not yet been updated or reflected on the MTO website, however, this information has been communicated directly to Tesla from Ontario Government Officials. For further information, customers may also contact the Ontario Government’s incentive program hotline at 1-888-999-3793 directly.

I got this email too from my Rep.

I have extremely important information to communicate with you regarding your Model 3 delivery and the EV Rebate. On July 11th 2018, the Ontario Government abruptly ended the Electric & Hydrogen Vehicle Consumer Purchase Incentive (EHVIP) which had been available to Model 3 customers. It has also cancelled the home charging incentive program effective immediately. The Ontario Government did not provide advance warning, nor did it consult with Tesla prior to ending the program. The Ontario Government has just communicated the following to its stakeholders: “Vehicles that have been ordered directly from an original equipment manufacturer by a consumer (i.e. direct sales, as opposed to sales through a franchised automobile dealership) but which have not been delivered, registered and plated on or before July 11, 2018 are not eligible for an EHVIP incentive.” At this time there are no incentives available for any Tesla vehicle in Ontario, including for existing orders – as we are a direct sale company, and do not operate through franchised automobile dealerships. This information has not yet been updated or reflected on the MTO website, however, this information has been communicated directly to Tesla from Ontario Government Officials. For further information, customers may also contact the Ontario Government’s incentive program hotline at 1-888-999-3793 directly.

Thanks. Do you have your VIN already? Do you mind telling us when you locked in your order date?