Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I didn't have anything either and ordered June 27th and made a change on the 29th. When I called in to cancel on Friday night he confirmed that I didn't have a VIN yet but I had a SA apparently who I've never communicated with or heard from her.

He said I should be seeing a cancel button after clicking on "manage" however that wasn't showing up so he had to process my order by having a cheque sent and said it would arrive in 30-60 days. Hoping to put that in my Tesla piggy bank.

He emailed me a form that I filled out and sent back.

I didn't have anything either and ordered June 27th and made a change on the 29th. When I called in to cancel on Friday night he confirmed that I didn't have a VIN yet but I had a SA apparently who I've never communicated with or heard from her.

He said I should be seeing a cancel button after clicking on "manage" however that wasn't showing up so he had to process my order by having a cheque sent and said it would arrive in 30-60 days. Hoping to put that in my Tesla piggy bank.

He emailed me a form that I filled out and sent back.

OK, I better call them. Thanks for the info.

What makes me so mad is the fact that i had a delivery date on beginning of july and out of nowhere they told me it was a mistake and the car was still in transit... another thing that i feel so guilty about it is that i ordered the black one then I changed the color so if i wouldve kept it I would probably be safe by now..

Ya, that would really suck. There have been lots of reports historically even, on delivery dates getting pushed back for various reasons. I guess this will happen when you are dealing direct. They are by no means a perfect organization.

I was getting some pressure at home to change from black but stuck with it which would have been a fortunate decision had the rug not been pulled out from under me by he who shall not be named.

Not much you can do about it now...onward and upward!

Has anyone here converted from AWD to RWD since this debacle started? It's a $6k savings for me, but more importantly:

1. Did your delivery estimate change?
2. Did the order date change on your Order Agreement to the date when you made the change?

Yes, I converted earlier from AWD to RWD. To answer your question:

1. Yes, from September to August
2. Yes, the Order Agreement was updated with the new date of change.

• Disagree
Reactions: Abrew2014
Yes, I converted earlier from AWD to RWD. To answer your question:

1. Yes, from September to August
2. Yes, the Order Agreement was updated with the new date of change.

Thanks. #1 is good news, but #2 is the worst news. I was hanging onto hope that IF Tesla sorts out the unfair dealership shenanigans, that my pre-July 11th order would be okay if I changed it to a RWD (which is on the rebate list).

I just sold my Bolt EV to purchase the tesla... I actually regreted... anyways, you have no idea the number of people telling me I was playing smart of collecting the 14k and now i was making money trying to sell my car at full price... i told them, try purchasing a new car, wait 4 to 6 months and hopefully by then you would still qualify for the rebate... I was right...

Sorry, not to burst your bubble, but be aware that when you sell your Bolt you are liable for repaying the rebate if owned less than 3 years (I think). I had a letter sent inquiring about my first car - I explained that it had been written off in an accident. Fortunately, at the time the rebate was only for $3000, but after talking with them I also had it confirmed that I never actually received that rebate so I didn't owe anything.

Reactions: adaptabl
I don't think tesla will do much fighting on this one unfortunately for a few reasons.

1. They get paid full price no matter what, the rebate goes to you not them (unlike most dealerships who typically apply on your behalf and take the amount off at time of sale).

2. They will easily still sell the car to someone else, either in Quebec, BC, or US (as well as those of us still willing to accept the car without the rebate). So again, are unlikely to be out of pocket anything here .

3. Even if they fought something, it's highly unlikely that public opinion on this one will be swayed in the next 2 months (sorry...I'm a realist :/ )

A few weeks ago when things were looking to go south I spent a few nights soul searching how much I wanted the car and decided rebate or no I would proceed....if nothing else anyone keeping their order has to be at peace with the fact that they likely won't receive the rebate.

On a plus side, that likely means resale value will be that much higher a number of years down the road (now that's me being a glass half full guy :) )
Largely agree but not #2 and therefore not #1 either.
Let's say there's 100 buyers world wide, interested, reserved, ordered whatever just without their car delivered. If 10 cancel because of no rebate yes they can move on to the other 90 other people in line but those 10 who cancelled because they can't afford it or don't want to buy without the rebate are still lost. Sure maybe they'll gain another 10 to take the place of the cancelled. But had the rebate continued the number sold would have been 110, the new 10 didn't come about because the others cancelled. It's in Tesla's interest not to have cancellations.

Sorry, not to burst your bubble, but be aware that when you sell your Bolt you are liable for repaying the rebate if owned less than 3 years (I think). I had a letter sent inquiring about my first car - I explained that it had been written off in an accident. Fortunately, at the time the rebate was only for $3000, but after talking with them I also had it confirmed that I never actually received that rebate so I didn't owe anything.
I got the letter saying that has to be a year since the last incentive. Which it was.
Even in the documentation for you to apply for the incentives (2096E) it says 1 year.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-07-16 at 12.36.22 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-07-16 at 12.36.22 AM.png
    96.4 KB · Views: 67
Reactions: TrevTremaine
Largely agree but not #2 and therefore not #1 either.
Let's say there's 100 buyers world wide, interested, reserved, ordered whatever just without their car delivered. If 10 cancel because of no rebate yes they can move on to the other 90 other people in line but those 10 who cancelled because they can't afford it or don't want to buy without the rebate are still lost. Sure maybe they'll gain another 10 to take the place of the cancelled. But had the rebate continued the number sold would have been 110, the new 10 didn't come about because the others cancelled. It's in Tesla's interest not to have cancellations.

That's a fair point, but in your analogy of 100 cars worldwide I see 2 counter points. First, that what matters most to Tesla is how many m3s they deliver in the next 2 quarters, and that number won't change. Second, that the potential number of lost sales is much less than 10% because Ontario is small compared to the worldwide demand, and not everyone in Ontario is canceling.

The US regularly sells about 10x more EVs than Canada per year (ie, about 2,000 volts per year in Canada, and over 20,000 in the States, pretty sure it's similar for leaf, S, X, etc...it basically scales with population last I checked).

Quebec sells the most evs in Canada (last I checked). So if you assume Ontario accounts for about 30% of ev sales, Quebec 50% and BC 20%, that means if everyone on Ontario cancelled tesla would lose 3/100 sales. But not everyone is canceling, so even if 50% cancel (ie, full cancellation, not just waiting for SR) that's only a 1.5% hit to Tesla.

This also doesn't consider worldwide demand. Once you factor that in it may be Ontario cancellations are much less than 1% of the tesla backlog. And I'm sure they can recover from that.

If nothing else it does seem like this won't be the deciding factor in tesla becoming profitable. They need to focus on building to the demand, and unfortunately it's still there despite us in Ontario having the rug pulled out from under us.

I'm sure folks in Quebec and BC would be more than happy to get their model 3 sooner and that alone would make up for the cancelled Ontario orders. Remember, tesla can't build the cars fast enough right now, and even after they can deliver AWD, RWD and P-AWD quickly, they will have a huge backlog of SR to deal with.

Sorry for the long post... Wrote it on my phone and too cumbersome to go back and shorten/edit.

Last edited:
Q1 CDN EV sales increased 75% over Q1 2017. (PQ=83% from 1380 to 2446, ON=82% from 1450 to 2633).

I don't see Q2 numbers yet but obviously that would see the M3 hitting. You could easily project 12k for Ontario in 2018 and if the incentive wasn't cut, I would imagine closer to 15k.

Ontario accounts for about 40% of EV sales. With no incentives, you are likely to see that drop like a stone. Overall, this will be a big hit for Tesla in the short term but I would imagine they are looking at long term recovery as the market balances out and/or new incentives are put in place.

It will be very interesting to track the numbers in 2018. I wouldn't be surprised if the feds are taking that stance and if the numbers reflect a huge drop off, perhaps they can then use that (hard evidence) to finally do something. If they don't, I think that says a lot about the federal liberals REAL stance on the environment.

Reactions: jkirkwood001
There is always a matter of needs and wants.

I wants a EV car for next year. I never think I will be in this rebate space when I place the reservation, I have all expectations that it will be next year before I get invited. My choice is SR, AWR with or without premium package, and with or without rebate.

From the BC experience which cancel and reinstate the rebate; I will expect some kind of rebate before end of 2019. At that time, most Auto company will have some kind of EV available in a reasonable amount. Tesla got my sale already, it is just a matter of When I will get one.

I just sent a letter on behalf of the Tesla Owners Ontario club to the Minister of Transportation.

Here are suggestions for Model 3 buyers with locked In orders prior to July 11th:

Write to your local MPP, the Minister of Transportation and Office of the Premier. You may also consider cc-ing the Leader of the Opposition and the Leader of the Green Party (who has been sympathetic to EV rebates).
We do not want to provide a “canned message” nor put words in your mouth. Neither would be as effective as a heart-felt, personally written note.

Here are some bullet points to help you compose your thoughts:
• I have placed an order for a Tesla Model 3 with a non-refundable deposit made before the July 11th announced end date for the EHVIP program.
• I cannot afford this purchase without the help of the gov’t incentive. If the incentive is removed, I stand to lose my deposit because I won’t be able to afford this car otherwise.
• I respectfully request that you extend the same Sept. 10 delivery window to my order as has been offered to those who ordered other brands through car dealerships.
• I am concerned about the apparent discriminatory action taken by the government.
• The government shouldn’t pick winners and losers in a marketplace. Government should afford Tesla customers – Ontarians -- who ordered before July 11 and who take delivery by September 10 the same access to the incentive as those buying through franchised dealers.
• Why have you made such an unfair decision and why haven’t you explained the decision properly on their website?
John Dixon
Ontario.teslaownersclub.ca

I just sent a letter on behalf of the Tesla Owners Ontario club to the Minister of Transportation.

Here are suggestions for Model 3 buyers with locked In orders prior to July 11th:

Write to your local MPP, the Minister of Transportation and Office of the Premier. You may also consider cc-ing the Leader of the Opposition and the Leader of the Green Party (who has been sympathetic to EV rebates).
We do not want to provide a “canned message” nor put words in your mouth. Neither would be as effective as a heart-felt, personally written note.

Here are some bullet points to help you compose your thoughts:
• I have placed an order for a Tesla Model 3 with a non-refundable deposit made before the July 11th announced end date for the EHVIP program.
• I cannot afford this purchase without the help of the gov’t incentive. If the incentive is removed, I stand to lose my deposit because I won’t be able to afford this car otherwise.
• I respectfully request that you extend the same Sept. 10 delivery window to my order as has been offered to those who ordered other brands through car dealerships.
• I am concerned about the apparent discriminatory action taken by the government.
• The government shouldn’t pick winners and losers in a marketplace. Government should afford Tesla customers – Ontarians -- who ordered before July 11 and who take delivery by September 10 the same access to the incentive as those buying through franchised dealers.
• Why have you made such an unfair decision and why haven’t you explained the decision properly on their website?
John Dixon
Ontario.teslaownersclub.ca
You can’t find reason when dealing with a mini-trump.

• Disagree
Reactions: adaptabl and ZsoZso