Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Please everyone - write the ministries and let them know it’s unfair to give businesses a break but to screw consumers!

It’s easy to do - just go to https://www.ontario.ca/page/ministries and write your message and click send. I would recommend requesting an email back as well.

I would hit up the Premier’s office as well as the following ministries:
-Finance
-Environment, Conservation, and Parks
-Transportation

I've called Service Ontario who routed me to the MFO who routed me to the MTO that directly routed me to the EHVIP that directly routed me to a full voicemail inbox and hangs up. I've contacted two of my closest MPPs about this and explained the situation. They will get back to me about it. Until then, reach out to news outlets ASAP. I'm going to email Michelle. Already emailed Greg.

All hope is lost if you haven't placed your order before July 11th. Congratulations to anyone who managed to pick up the vehicle and submit paperwork before July 11th. Concern is mainly focused here for people stuck in limbo who have ordered their car before July 11th but are unsure about whether or not they will receive the much-needed incentive and unsure about whether or not they will make the delivery cut off date of September 10th.

All the best. Fun may not be something one considers when balancing the universe but climate change isn't something Doug Ford considers when balancing our provincial budget.

I just sent a letter on behalf of the Tesla Owners Ontario club to the Minister of Transportation.

Here are suggestions for Model 3 buyers with locked In orders prior to July 11th:

Write to your local MPP, the Minister of Transportation and Office of the Premier. You may also consider cc-ing the Leader of the Opposition and the Leader of the Green Party (who has been sympathetic to EV rebates).
We do not want to provide a “canned message” nor put words in your mouth. Neither would be as effective as a heart-felt, personally written note.

Here are some bullet points to help you compose your thoughts:
• I have placed an order for a Tesla Model 3 with a non-refundable deposit made before the July 11th announced end date for the EHVIP program.
• I cannot afford this purchase without the help of the gov’t incentive. If the incentive is removed, I stand to lose my deposit because I won’t be able to afford this car otherwise.
• I respectfully request that you extend the same Sept. 10 delivery window to my order as has been offered to those who ordered other brands through car dealerships.
• I am concerned about the apparent discriminatory action taken by the government.
• The government shouldn’t pick winners and losers in a marketplace. Government should afford Tesla customers – Ontarians -- who ordered before July 11 and who take delivery by September 10 the same access to the incentive as those buying through franchised dealers.
• Why have you made such an unfair decision and why haven’t you explained the decision properly on their website?
John Dixon
Ontario.teslaownersclub.ca

Surely point #2 is no longer valid since Tesla is offering full deposit rebates? Might take some of the power out of this appeal?

Reactions: adaptabl
upload_2018-7-16_12-12-34.png

Should we
Im not sure if this has been discussed yet... but if we placed our $3200 order payment in June 27 for the dual motor..... but change it to EHVIP eligible RWD and take delivery before September 10..... are we eligible for the credit?
No, at this moment all Tesla delivery after July 11 will not be eligible for the incentive. Not very optimistic MOT will change the rule.

BTW Join the letter writing campaign to the ministry of transportation!

I just sent a letter on behalf of the Tesla Owners Ontario club to the Minister of Transportation.

Here are suggestions for Model 3 buyers with locked In orders prior to July 11th:

Write to your local MPP, the Minister of Transportation and Office of the Premier. You may also consider cc-ing the Leader of the Opposition and the Leader of the Green Party (who has been sympathetic to EV rebates).
We do not want to provide a “canned message” nor put words in your mouth. Neither would be as effective as a heart-felt, personally written note.

Here are some bullet points to help you compose your thoughts:
• I have placed an order for a Tesla Model 3 with a non-refundable deposit made before the July 11th announced end date for the EHVIP program.
• I cannot afford this purchase without the help of the gov’t incentive. If the incentive is removed, I stand to lose my deposit because I won’t be able to afford this car otherwise.
• I respectfully request that you extend the same Sept. 10 delivery window to my order as has been offered to those who ordered other brands through car dealerships.
• I am concerned about the apparent discriminatory action taken by the government.
• The government shouldn’t pick winners and losers in a marketplace. Government should afford Tesla customers – Ontarians -- who ordered before July 11 and who take delivery by September 10 the same access to the incentive as those buying through franchised dealers.
• Why have you made such an unfair decision and why haven’t you explained the decision properly on their website?
John Dixon
Ontario.teslaownersclub.ca

Last edited:
That is interesting and contrary to what I was told.
When I called in, I was told specifically from the rep that the official date of my order agreement would not change if I changed from AWD to RWD. Did you do a change online or did you call and have them change it?
I also confirmed that as long as your initial order was placed before July 1, you would still receive the premium internet even if a change was made after that date.

I changed it online. I was suprised to see that the date changed on my order form, but it did. I don't know what it will mean. Fortunately, it states that it is an update to my original order. I still have the original order form as well if that becomes an issue.

My premium features are still intact. I was not charged not charged anything extra.

• Disagree
Reactions: Abrew2014
I will have to cancel. I may be a downtown liberal (well, liberal-minded...the liberal party is another matter), but I’m no millionaire!
That is unfortunate I feel for you and many others since the rebate was meant to help advance EV adoption. I just look at it as an additional year of payments (more or less). My '05 Accord is hanging on but I need / want (?) a new car at some point in the future. It is a big purchase but one that I can justify in the long term.

I changed it online. I was suprised to see that the date changed on my order form, but it did. I don't know what it will mean. Fortunately, it states that it is an update to my original order. I still have the original order form as well if that becomes an issue.

My premium features are still intact. I was not charged not charged anything extra.
Yeah I did hear that if you changed it online instead of over the phone then that might occur. Just keep that in mind if they some how allow you to qualify for a rebate. You maybe can call them to retroactively change the date back.

For those that have an order and waiting to see what happens I suggest you send this email that another consumer drafted earlier on this forum (page 106), and kindly provided all the MP email addresses. I have included the draft letter below and the email addresses for your convenience, so please make your voice heard by sending this email as well as writing to your local MP.

Dear MPP

Recently Premier Ford announced the cancellation of cap-and-trade, along with the green initiatives tied to it. Although I believe in climate change I understand that there are many ways to tackle this problem and Ontario’s Cap and Trade solution may not be the best of them. As such, my email today is not in protest to the cancellation of Cap and Trade and its associated green initiatives. Rather, it is in protest to the MANNER in which it is being cancelled, specifically in regards to the EHVIP program.

On July 11th, Premier Ford’s team announced the immediate cancellation of the program. The only way to still qualify for the rebate would be if one satisfied one of the following two conditions:

• Eligible vehicles that have been delivered to consumers, registered, and plated on or before July 11 will receive the incentive.
  • Inventory that dealers have on lots or orders made by dealerships with manufacturers on or before July 11, will also be honoured for the incentive provided that the vehicle is delivered to consumers, registered, and plated by September 10.
Although this gives dealers a ‘wind-down’ period, it offers no such consideration to consumers. I believe this was done specifically to target Tesla buyers as they buy directly from the manufacturer, especially as Premier Ford has referred to Tesla owners as ‘downtown liberals’ and ‘millionaires’. This is simply not true. The only Tesla that is currently on the list of approved vehicles (i.e. the Model 3) is aimed at middle class Ontarians. After the rebate, gas savings, and savings on maintenance, the pricing of the Model 3 is in-line with non-luxury brands, such as Honda, Toyota, and GM. For most of us, the rebate is the difference between affordability and non-affordability. Many of us have ordered this car in good faith, placing a $4,200 non-refundable deposit. We now face a no-win scenario; either cancel our orders and lose $4,200, or commit to buying a car that we can no longer afford.

All I am asking is that Premier Ford extend to us, his constituents, the same consideration he is offering to businesses (i.e. the dealers); honour those orders that were placed prior to July 11th providing the vehicle is delivered, registered, and plated by September 10th. As it stands, it seems as though Premier Ford is intentionally targeting Tesla, but is really only hurting his people. We voted-in Premier Ford in good faith, so please don’t break faith with us now – wind down this program in an equitable manner.

Sincerely

EMAIL ADDRESSES:
[email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]

Should we

No, at this moment all Tesla delivery after July 11 will not be eligible for the incentive. Not very optimistic MOT will change the rule.

BTW Join the letter writing campaign to the ministry of transportation!
Shouldn't the PC's and other MPPs be the target of the letter writing MOT and MOF only do what they're told.

While I agree with the elimination of Cap and Trade, the reason I am writing to you today is out of concern in the way the EHVIP program is being phased out, and not even the way the entire program is being phased out, but the manner in which it’s NOT being phased for one manufacturer in particular, tesla. I am a middle income earner and I am counting on the rebate that was promised by the previous administration and by your campaign during the election. The tesla Model 3 is not a car strictly for the rich, the rebate puts the car’s price at approximately $60,000 and after factoring in the fuel savings and reduced maintenance I will save another $5,000 a year, keeping the car for 4 years brings the cost down to the average Toyota or Honda, this is not a car for just the elites or the rich. It makes financial sense as an analytical small business owner who is on the road a lot. It made common sense to purchase the Model 3 when i placed my order on June 18th with a $4200 deposit after reassurances from your campaign that orders placed before the cancellation of EHVIP/Cap and Trade would qualify. There were no caveats that the most popular, best selling, most practical Electric Vehicle available would be the only one to not qualify or that there would be wording to single them out. The manner in which GreenON was canceled in an orderly phase-out was a perfect example of this common sense fairness that I hoped would have applied to my impending purchase.

I believe the plans for this province are moving in the right direction and I let others know that Doug Ford and the PC party pride themselves on a mantra of “Promises Made, Promises Kept” I hope to continue telling people that in the future in regards to EHVIP as well, please allow my tesla model 3 order to fall under the same wind down plans as all other Manufacturers.