Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems that those of us who had made the original deposit ($1000) but not the order ($3200) are totally out of luck.

I myself was purposely holding out from making the 3200 pavement because of the uncertainty of the incentive. Now I am realizing that, even if Ford decides to honour purchases made before July 11th and delivered before September 10th, those of us who were waiting to hear more information about the cancellation of the rebate are screwed. Anyone else in this boat? Seems as if I would have been much better off just paying the 3200, risking loosing the incentive.

At this point, those of us who didn’t pay the 3200 really have absolutely no hope. If I had just paid the 3200, I could at least hope for Ford to honour the rebate.

Well, you are not alone. I was waiting for AWD, invited to configure on June 27th. Spoke to MTO and Min of Finance, who both said that they had heard nothing about cancelation of the program to that point and that it would take a week or so for AWD to be added to the list of eligible vehicles. As I drive 120 km on back roads per day (sometimes twice if I am called back) and live in the snow belt off Lake Huron I need the AWD. Decided to take a chance and order was completed June 29th with delivery date Sep to Nov.

Now I know all hope is lost since AWD never made the list, it wouldn't be delivered on time and even if that weren't enough, the direct ordering from the manufacturer has us totally screwed. So big decision ...do I ask Tesla for a refund of the $3200 + $1000 deposit or proceed. I hear that they are honoring the refund which makes sense. At that point they still had the incentive calculated into savings on the website, which implied that Tesla had the expectation it would be added to the list. Of course, now website is changed and only factors gas savings.

Long talk tonight and finally decided that even though it is above what we can really afford, going to keep the order. It's the only real fully electric option and I really want it. Will just extend financing an extra year or so. Still hoping that something will change and we may get some incentive through federal gov't, who knows, but probably just a pipe dream... Best of luck to you!

Reactions: jkirkwood001
Well, you are not alone. I was waiting for AWD, invited to configure on June 27th. Spoke to MTO and Min of Finance, who both said that they had heard nothing about cancelation of the program to that point and that it would take a week or so for AWD to be added to the list of eligible vehicles. As I drive 120 km on back roads per day (sometimes twice if I am called back) and live in the snow belt off Lake Huron I need the AWD. Decided to take a chance and order was completed June 29th with delivery date Sep to Nov.

Now I know all hope is lost since AWD never made the list, it wouldn't be delivered on time and even if that weren't enough, the direct ordering from the manufacturer has us totally screwed. So big decision ...do I ask Tesla for a refund of the $3200 + $1000 deposit or proceed. I hear that they are honoring the refund which makes sense. At that point they still had the incentive calculated into savings on the website, which implied that Tesla had the expectation it would be added to the list. Of course, now website is changed and only factors gas savings.

Long talk tonight and finally decided that even though it is above what we can really afford, going to keep the order. It's the only real fully electric option and I really want it. Will just extend financing an extra year or so. Still hoping that something will change and we may get some incentive through federal gov't, who knows, but probably just a pipe dream... Best of luck to you!

I remember when they released the Model 3, it took some time to be on the MTO list but if you called them they would say yes it was eligible... Must be same thing with AWD they just hasn't updated it yet...

I remember when they released the Model 3, it took some time to be on the MTO list but if you called them they would say yes it was eligible... Must be same thing with AWD they just hasn't updated it yet...

Its been confirmed multiple times in this thread by people calling the MTO that AWD is not qualified and its also 99% that it will not be added to the list, so definitely don't hold out hope for this if you want AWD.

Reactions: adaptabl
Yeah, you’re right, it could be interpreted that way, which means it would be interpreted that way. :rolleyes:
I’d love for this to work, but I think it’s a rather transparent attempt to get around their rule that they would shoot down immediately. I doubt they’d even need a reason to shoot it down.

However, if they DID need a reason then there’s this; the cars were NOT on the lot, and nor were they ordered by the DEALERSHIP by July 11th. Therefore, they don’t qualify.

I’m as upset about this as are the rest of you; I’ve obsessed over Tesla and then specifically the model 3 for years. I thought it was finally in reach only to have my dreams dashed my a small-minded, mean-spirited hick. It really sucks.

There is still a shred of hope (not much more I’m afraid) and that is that we kick up such a fuss that they relent and give us the Sept. 10 deadline.

I’d love for this to work, but I think it’s a rather transparent attempt to get around their rule that they would shoot down immediately. I doubt they’d even need a reason to shoot it down.

However, if they DID need a reason then there’s this; the cars were NOT on the lot, and nor were they ordered by the DEALERSHIP by July 11th. Therefore, they don’t qualify.

I’m as upset about this as are the rest of you; I’ve obsessed over Tesla and then specifically the model 3 for years. I thought it was finally in reach only to have my dreams dashed my a small-minded, mean-spirited hick. It really sucks.

There is still a shred of hope (not much more I’m afraid) and that is that we kick up such a fuss that they relent and give us the Sept. 10 deadline.

This is the unfortunate and frustrating reality. It would be awesome if there was some way to beat DF at his own game. There’s only a small window of time for changing the tide. I’m going to keep lobbying the politicians.

Reactions: RossK and Tertulian
I'd be happy to see Musk at least devoting more time to trying to figure something out as opposed to getting into flame wars with people on twitter like he did on Sunday. (since deleted)

The government in power holds all the cards and it's all about the money and optics. They have flip-flopped on policies with public pressure so that gives some hope but this is about funds already in their pockets that they've probably already allocated somewhere else.

I don't think the Ontario PC's are going to change their stance on EHVIP. That would be too confusing for "the people" and potentially damaging. The money is already in Ford's pocket. He's not going to give it up now.

That said, it would be awesome if Tesla figures out some way to make good of a terrible situation.

upload_2018-7-17_8-54-15.png

Hi all,

This is my first post on TMC. :) I have been stalking this forum for a few weeks now. Thanks to everybody for the great information. What a roller coaster over the past few weeks!

Like many I optioned a Model 3 AWD at the end of June. I thought long and hard about canceling the order. I do feel that at some point the FEDs will come up with an incentive. I doubt it will be close to 14K. I decided to keep my order. The extra cost will definitely be painful but I feel the experience will be worth it. I do plan on keeping the car for at least 10 years.

The removal of the incentive was a sad day for Ontarian's. The plan did make perfect sense. Incentivize actions that benefit the environment and penalize for actions that harm the environment. Unfortunately 98% of the population ends up being negatively impacted. It was an easy sell for Ford. It will be a hard sell for the Feds. Apparently potentially saving 4.3 cents per litre means more to the average person than the air we breath. It is good our friends to the south have so far kept their incentive program alive. It is ironic that Canada, a global supporter of emissions reduction, is on a path to failing meeting it's carbon reduction targets where the USA, a country that recently has dropped out of the Paris Accord, may do a better job at reducing vehicle emissions.

Reactions: mahagala
Just watched Queen's Park session where Green Party MPP Mike Schreiner asked his first question as an MPP. Grilled them on their policies and the response was that the PC's don't believe in programs directed at individuals but for all Ontario and they are formulating a plan that addresses the environment. Right.

upload_2018-7-17_11-14-14.png

Reactions: BKR1986
I'd be happy to see Musk at least devoting more time to trying to figure something out as opposed to getting into flame wars with people on twitter like he did on Sunday. (since deleted)

The government in power holds all the cards and it's all about the money and optics. They have flip-flopped on policies with public pressure so that gives some hope but this is about funds already in their pockets that they've probably already allocated somewhere else.

I don't think the Ontario PC's are going to change their stance on EHVIP. That would be too confusing for "the people" and potentially damaging. The money is already in Ford's pocket. He's not going to give it up now.

That said, it would be awesome if Tesla figures out some way to make good of a terrible situation.

View attachment 317494

Or the Feds step in with a "No HST" tax break and give Ford the middle finger!

Just trying to judge the terrain here. I've installed my charger already and am waiting for car delivery. If I follow through with the purchase and EHVIP rejects my application/registration, can I sue the government?

I am in the same boat. We are screwed if we cancel our delivery because "You must own an eligible new or used electric vehicle that is registered, plated, insured, in the applicants name and on the Green Plates Eligible Vehicle list of eligible vehicles"

On the PDF application which is listed here:
Ontario Central Forms Repository - Form Identification

Direct link to PDF here:
http://www.forms.ssb.gov.on.ca/mbs/ssb/forms/ssbforms.nsf/GetFileAttach/023-0177E~1/$File/0177E.pdf

I just ended an interview with the CBC about this - they are writing an article...

I spoke with one of the MTO agent the other day, and she confirmed that we don't need to have the vehicle registered and plated to submit the application, they will allow the application to go through. I even confirmed with her that I currently don't have the car myself and I was going to submit the charging incentive application without the VIN number, and they will still process it. So i went ahead and did it. Really hope she is not lying...

• Disagree
Reactions: adaptabl
I spoke with one of the MTO agent the other day, and she confirmed that we don't need to have the vehicle registered and plated to submit the application, they will allow the application to go through. I even confirmed with her that I currently don't have the car myself and I was going to submit the charging incentive application without the VIN number, and they will still process it. So i went ahead and did it. Really hope she is not lying...
Wow I'm hoping that is true for you. Can you get it in writing?

Reactions: ThiagoSnow