Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for this, @adaptabl.

I respect you're waiting for the "affordable" Tesla.

I think it's harsh / premature to say "they suck at making cars in high volumes at a low cost". Their financial troubles are because they have been ramping up and growing - what, 50% per year? - while trying to re-invent multiple industries. As with everything Elon, they're trying to re-imagine auto manufacturing through automation. Yes, they've made some mistakes. But Elon had proven time and time again he can innovate despite the majority thinking he will fail. They will get auto production right, I think. The business plan (EV, no dealers, OTA updates, autonomous controls, powerwalls, etc.) is too strong, and the industry too staid IMO for them not to continue to grow market share. It's not a question of if they will succeed, the only question is, like you suggest, can they do it without needing a major equity partner. Either way, I feel strongly that Tesla cars will be a significant part of the future auto industry - there's no going back (unless you're like Trump and give coal life-support haha).

But I can understand if you're bitter waiting for the promised config while hundreds are bragging about their wonderful new Model 3s. Yours will come, I hope sooner rather than later!

Actually not bitter. It does suck there is now rebate now but I accept Ford's election promise. I would rather wait than have one of the earlier builds. The car is for my wife. She is the one having to wait.

Last edited:
Just got off the phone with the Ombudsman office and they still have this as an open ticket with MTO. The position they are taking is that Tesla is a recognized dealership in Ontario and in the legal side of things, the agreement purchase said that it was purchased in Tesla Canada so the bullet point about dealership having the extension to Sept 10th should apply to us consumers as well.

They will send me an update on the status. Here's the excerpt from the purchase agreement.

Agreement to Purchase. You agree to purchase the vehicle (the “Vehicle”) described in your Vehicle Configuration from Tesla Motors Canada ULC or its affiliate (“we,” “us” or “our”), pursuant to the terms and conditions of this Agreement. Your Vehicle is priced and configured based on features and options available at the time of order and you can confirm availability with your Owner Advisor. Options, features or hardware released after you place your order may not be included in or available for your Vehicle.

Just got off the phone with the Ombudsman office and they still have this as an open ticket with MTO. The position they are taking is that Tesla is a recognized dealership in Ontario and in the legal side of things, the agreement purchase said that it was purchased in Tesla Canada so the bullet point about dealership having the extension to Sept 10th should apply to us consumers as well.

They will send me an update on the status. Here's the excerpt from the purchase agreement.

Agreement to Purchase. You agree to purchase the vehicle (the “Vehicle”) described in your Vehicle Configuration from Tesla Motors Canada ULC or its affiliate (“we,” “us” or “our”), pursuant to the terms and conditions of this Agreement. Your Vehicle is priced and configured based on features and options available at the time of order and you can confirm availability with your Owner Advisor. Options, features or hardware released after you place your order may not be included in or available for your Vehicle.
Thanks- any idea when we can hear about this

I really really wish I did not say that. It was extremely short sighted of me. I have no magical powers. I have no daddy :)

I just want this to end in a manner that we all felt everything had been done and therefore no regrets, doubts or worries about decisions made. I'm just doing everything I can to ensure no stone is left unturned. While some are confident it's been over for a long time now, I know many would feel relieved to know that everything possible had been tried. It's really that simple. Fighting to the bitter end and some things are better handled on their own till they warrant even wasting people's time here on.

Reactions: PAWilson

I had the exact same conversation 15 minutes ago. The ombudsman asked me to read this point in the agreement document that states that the agreement of purchase is with Tesla Motors Canada ULC who are infact registered dealership in North York, Oakville and Etobicoke. This means the order is placed through a dealership and not directly through Tesla, USA. I hope this is a good sign.

The ombudsman advised that I should highlight this point in an email to [email protected].

I really really wish I did not say that. It was extremely short sighted of me. I have no magical powers. I have no daddy :)

I just want this to end in a manner that we all felt everything had been done and therefore no regrets, doubts or worries about decisions made. I'm just doing everything I can to ensure no stone is left unturned. While some are confident it's been over for a long time now, I know many would feel relieved to know that everything possible had been tried. It's really that simple. Fighting to the bitter end and some things are better handled on their own till they warrant even wasting people's time here on.

Everything has been done. It's over. Time to move on. The fat lady has already sung, the lights are on and the doors are locked.

Ahhhh spoke like a...politician...perhaps?;)

Okay, I agree it was "optimistic" for Tesla to indicate a refund was expected, but not unreasonable - that was the official government program up until July 11th, right? And they changed their site the same day as the announcement, as a I recall. You can't blame them for not hiding a significant benefit while it's in force. Up until the announcement, half this forum was also hopeful the policy would somehow remain untouched even after Cap and Trade was cancelled.
I think you meant to say rebate instead to refund.....:D

• Funny
Reactions: PAWilson
I had the exact same conversation 15 minutes ago. The ombudsman asked me to read this point in the agreement document that states that the agreement of purchase is with Tesla Motors Canada ULC who are infact registered dealership in North York, Oakville and Etobicoke. This means the order is placed through a dealership and not directly through Tesla, USA. I hope this is a good sign.

The ombudsman advised that I should highlight this point in an email to [email protected].
Indeed. 36 days to be exact if you exclude Sundays, otherwise 42. Holidays not included.
Question for the group. When I confirmed my order (RWD LR) on June 15th the expected delivery time period was listed at 4 - 8 weeks. I should have taken a screen shot at the time. Did anyone else have similar delivery window?