Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"AWD models were never part of the program so no buyer should of expected a rebate on those models." - Tesla shouldn't have listed them as eligible for the incentive then.

You'd have to imagine someone who has NO clue that this forum exists or was able to predict any of this. They may have spent the extra X thousands of dollars for AWD expecting it to qualify as stated on the Tesla website. From my understanding, Tesla submitted the appropriate information to the government to qualify the AWD for the incentive - it just died before it made it to the list. I think someone who purchase AWD had all the right in the world to have expected a rebate just as anyone who ordered RWD before DF's swearing into office.

Anyone that was on the Tesla website and didn't read the fine print and didn't peruse the EHVIP sites or didn't call Tesla, well sorry but you didn't do your due diligence.

IIRC, the AWD couldn't be submitted for consideration on the EHVIP list unless it was actually in production.

• Disagree
Reactions: adaptabl
I agree that obviously if you can’t afford the car don’t buy it.
However, I think EV’s are cheaper than ice cars depending on your situation, and the type of cars your currently drive.

I go through about $6,200 a year in gas at present.
Given my electricity rates off peak hours I would spend about $700 a year for electricity.
It wouldn’t take too many years to see the pay off for my situation.

I'm in the same boat - I'm at about $5,500 annually for fuel. There's not much more I can do to reduce this either. I've gone to a fuel-efficient 4 cylinder, I drive responsibly and I don't drive unnecessarily.

...You'd have to imagine someone who has NO clue that this forum exists or was able to predict any of this. They may have spent the extra X thousands of dollars for AWD expecting it to qualify as stated on the Tesla website. From my understanding, Tesla submitted the appropriate information to the government to qualify the AWD for the incentive - it just died before it made it to the list. I think someone who purchase AWD had all the right in the world to have expected a rebate just as anyone who ordered RWD before DF's swearing into office.

C'mon, @BKR1986. I think you're making two big assumptions here.
  1. That somebody buying an EV in mid 2018 was not aware that the party likely to win the Ontario election ran on a platform to get rid of green programs and lower gas prices. If they were so ignorant of our political process and likely outcome, shame on them. If they forego their democratic right to be informed, then they're at the mercy of those who do vote and take politics seriously.
  2. That the AWD model would be added to the EVHIP list. The cautious thing to do would have been to wait until it was added to the site. That's like saying "Hey Mr. Bank! You raised your interest rate from what you promised 6 months ago! I bought a house assuming the old rate! No fair!"
I think it's gracious of Tesla - who is short of cash remember - to offer full refunds to those who ordered assuming the EVHIP rebate. My understanding is nobody was "forced" to buy without the rebate.

Last edited:
  1. That somebody buying an EV in mid 2018 was not aware that the party likely to win the Ontario election ran on a platform to get rid of green programs and lower gas prices. If they were so ignorant of our political process and likely outcome, shame on them. If they forego their democratic right to be informed, then they're at the mercy of those who do vote and take politics seriously.
  2. That the AWD model would be added to the EVHIP list. The cautious thing to do would have been to wait until it was added to the site. That's like saying "Hey Mr. Bank! You raised your interest rate from what you promised 6 months ago! I bought a house assuming the old rate! No fair!"
I think it's gracious of Tesla - who is short of cash remember - to offer full rebates to those who ordered assuming the EVHIP rebate. My understanding is nobody was "forced" to buy without the rebate.

I'm sure you meant to say refunds instead of rebates :)

Guys, lets be honest... i am one of the affected here that I ended up buying the car and take possession exactly a week after they cut the incentives... we need to find a better way of approaching them (the gov) with this problem... here we are (maybe) not being loud enough. And maybe there are 100 people like me that got or will get affected with the cut... i dont see us going any further with this if we stay only here on the internet. Like any scandal on tv it gets faded away within a few months... we just need to find a better way to call their attention. As per their email answers they just dont care... "it is what it is". But they gotta see when they compare multi millionaire companies like Tesla or small dealers in the neighbourhood, that doesnt make any difference because none of them are loosing... its us, the people that suffer to make our monthly payments for a car of our dreams that are getting fu***cked by that decision...

I'm sorry to hear that, @ThiagoSnow.

I'm wondering if you received delivery the week of July 11th, did you inquire from Tesla if you could refuse delivery on the grounds the web site pricing suggested the rebate would apply? We read in this thread that Tesla is quietly offering refunds to those who ordered before July 11th and have upcoming deliveries. Could you have also received a refund if you chose to?

Reactions: ThiagoSnow
I think it's gracious of Tesla - who is short of cash remember - to offer full rebates to those who ordered assuming the EVHIP rebate. My understanding is nobody was "forced" to buy without the rebate.

I don't disagree that Tesla is being very gracious. They had absolutely no motive to do so and if it were any other automotive company anyone looking to cancel would be in the hole $4200.

My point is that they shouldn't have advertised on their site. I guarantee they knew full well that the incentive was dying. The RWD is one thing but don't advertise it in AWD. That's all I'm saying.

I don't disagree that Tesla is being very gracious. They had absolutely no motive to do so and if it were any other automotive company anyone looking to cancel would be in the hole $4200.

My point is that they shouldn't have advertised on their site. I guarantee they knew full well that the incentive was dying. The RWD is one thing but don't advertise it in AWD. That's all I'm saying.

Okay, I agree it was "optimistic" for Tesla to indicate a refund was expected, but not unreasonable - that was the official government program up until July 11th, right? And they changed their site the same day as the announcement, as a I recall. You can't blame them for not hiding a significant benefit while it's in force. Up until the announcement, half this forum was also hopeful the policy would somehow remain untouched even after Cap and Trade was cancelled.

Reactions: BKR1986
Okay, I agree it was "optimistic" for Tesla to indicate a refund was expected, but not unreasonable - that was the official government program up until July 11th, right? And they changed their site the same day as the announcement, as a I recall. You can't blame them for not hiding a significant benefit while it's in force. Up until the announcement, half this forum was also hopeful the policy would somehow remain untouched even after Cap and Trade was cancelled.

Completely agree.
I'm still hopeful. However, my hope dwindles every hour of every day as I hover over the dial pad of my cellphone ready to cancel.

I don't want to be the victim of one of two things:

1) Tesla miraculously does *something* to keep our orders - Offers a discounted price or a feature for no charge. Which, anyone who's canceled their order already would be SOL.

and conversely

2) Keep my order and go through with the purchase only to find out post-delivery that the Feds are introducing a rebate of their own which will almost certainly not be retroactive.

Reactions: jkirkwood001
Completely agree.
I'm still hopeful. However, my hope dwindles every hour of every day as I hover over the dial pad of my cellphone ready to cancel.

1) Tesla miraculously does *something* to keep our orders - Offers a discounted price or a feature for no charge. Which, anyone who's canceled their order already would be SOL.

and conversely

2) Keep my order and go through with the purchase only to find out post-delivery that the Feds are introducing a rebate of their own which will almost certainly not be retroactive.

I think #1 has already sailed, regardless of who it might apply to.

For #2, you'd almost think there would have to be something done by the feds given 25 other countries offer an incentive of some sort. I doubt it would be retroactive and if it's tied to your income tax return, probably not an active inventive till Jan 1, 2019. Really hope we'll hear something soon, possibly in Sept but they are probably also trying to figure out what's going on in Ontario before introducing anything.

Not trying to be rude in the slightest, I'm just not sure why everyone is assuming that the rebate wouldn't be applied retroactively? Is that just me being stupidly optimistic lol

I don't see why it would be applied retroactively. There is no point. The point of the rebate is to entice people who otherwise wouldn't purchase a EV over an ICE vehicle, largely due to the price differential, to purchase the EV. If they've already purchased it, then they don't need enticing.

Completely agree.

and conversely

Yes, I sympathize. I'm proceeding, but am aware, worst case, others may get a rebate and I won't.