Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have received my refund. Contrary to what I was told, my CC was debited instead of a cheque in 2-3 months. Two line items, both showing Canadian / Toronto references. One for $1k and one for $3.2k.

I’m surprised and sorry to hear that you cancelled. I assume this is in reaction to whatever conclusion was reached from the work being done “in the background”. Which means one less glimmer in a pretty desolate pool of hope.

Oh wow! When did you cancel? I did so yesterday and they told me just that - a cheque would be mailed to me in 30-60 business days.
Tesla is in many ways a phenomenal company. However, in other ways I think they’re pretty bad - case in point; customer communications. They were generous in offering a refund, but didn’t clearly set a policy, even for their own employees, as evidenced by reps giving out contradictory info for a long time.

*shrug* they’re a young company and you’ve got to take the good with the bad.

Despite it all, I’m still a huge Tesla fan.

Reactions: BKR1986
This is a fact.
I was told by the Tesla rep that they are doing away with all reservations. If you're a day one res holder and order an AWD with all the trimmings, you're going to get it at the same time as someone off the street ordering the same car. Which, in this example is 2-4 months.
I guess Tesla should be refunding all reservation holders without a confirmed order the $1000 loaned to them for the 2 years.

I guess Tesla should be refunding all reservation holders without a confirmed order the $1000 loaned to them for the 2 years.

I think that's only the case if you cancel. If not, it just gets applied to your down payment. Eg. $1000 deposit placed nearly 2 years ago plus the $3200 required to order the M3 = the $4200 total amount for the down payment.

I think going forward however the down payment is $5000.

They did not promise anything. It is an estimated savings and beyond their control. Blame the Ford government, not Tesla. 14K is a fortune. Many new cars are 14K. This incentive did not have a chance of staying for the long term.

Yes it says estimated savings....that they advertised as final price of vehicle

If they sent a single email or call to people to tell them that the incentive was cancelled then they would be off the hook to me but they are intentionally not informing people.

I may still go ahead with purchase because I think it’s the “right” thing to do but not happy with how Tesla has handled and had no communication

Yes it says estimated savings....that they advertised as final price of vehicle

If they sent a single email or call to people to tell them that the incentive was cancelled then they would be off the hook to me but they are intentionally not informing people.

I may still go ahead with purchase because I think it’s the “right” thing to do but not happy with how Tesla has handled and had no communication

They ESTIMATED that that could be the savings but also do state that government incentives vary and do change and to be sure you can afford it. It's all there. People are acting like Tesla was handing out fourteen thousand dollar coupons that expired. Mental.

I have received my refund. Contrary to what I was told, my CC was debited instead of a cheque in 2-3 months. Two line items, both showing Canadian / Toronto references. One for $1k and one for $3.2k.

I am interested in hearing from anyone that ends up plating a LR RWD M3 as to what your order agreement date was and on what date it was plated. Please PM me or post a message when you have that information. Even if it's in a month or two, doesn't matter. Thanks.

My signature has the timeline from Order to Delivery ;)

They ESTIMATED that that could be the savings but also do state that government incentives vary and do change and to be sure you can afford it. It's all there. People are acting like Tesla was handing out fourteen thousand dollar coupons that expired. Mental.

They were literally telling people to give them $4000 and saying you will receive this discount....

On the phone right now to cancel

Have to say I’ve been turned off as well by some of the fans on here.

These are good cars and will be the future, you are doing the company a disservice if you don’t hold them accountable though.

They were literally telling people to give them $4000 and saying you will receive this discount....

These are good cars and will be the future, you are doing the company a disservice if you don’t hold them accountable though.

And I was on hold for 45 minutes and they accidentally hung up on me

It is not promised anywhere. It's the government's incentive, not Tesla's. You're pointing your gun at the wrong party here mate.

Sure, I agree there were asterisks and caveats regarding the incentive. No one here is expecting Tesla to make up the $14k difference. But @Abrew2014 has a point in that a simple email from Tesla along the lines of "FYI, in case you were not aware, the $14k rebate we included in your price estimate no longer applies" would've gone a long way in terms of customer service. Just a simple acknowledgement and perhaps a consistent corporate message isn't too much to ask for, is it? On a $60k+ purchase? I'd expect as much from a $50 purchase on Amazon.

Sure, I agree there were asterisks and caveats regarding the incentive. No one here is expecting Tesla to make up the $14k difference. But @Abrew2014 has a point in that a simple email from Tesla along the lines of "FYI, in case you were not aware, the $14k rebate we included in your price estimate no longer applies" would've gone a long way in terms of customer service. Just a simple acknowledgement and perhaps a consistent corporate message isn't too much to ask for, is it? On a $60k+ purchase? I'd expect as much from a $50 purchase on Amazon.

The oldest saying in the book - "buyer beware". Every Telsa buyer saw the news of the rebate ending. An email from them would have made zero difference. It sucks, I know. Free 14K is nice. We all would have liked it! Trust me. I just also know it's an impossible thing to sell to the media or the man on the street who is saving up for 12K new KIA.

100%

Communication is very poor from this company

I’m going forward and have edited my order to add AWD to my red 19” wheel EAP version. I don’t have to worry about an approved list. It’s a big number but over time I think it’ll be a good purchase. I spend $500/month on gas and about $250/month on 407 bills. Access to the HOV lanes should replace my 407 bill.

Congrats on making the decision. I am seriously mulling the same path forward.

This is so tough!

Honestly, I can totally see both points with perfect clarity.

Yes, buyer beware. I do my research before buying a $100 pair of shoes, let alone an $80,000 car.
But to @Abrew2014 point - Tesla could have very easily sent out a mass email to all those who purchased with a statement and maybe a link to the MTO official site. It wouldn't be hard at all. We've had hearsay and choppy communication from the phone agents and nothing official. Even when it comes down to the refund policy a simple "We're allowing all refunds to buyers in the province of Ontario until X date at X time" would be potentially lifesaving to someone who can't afford the car but is waiting and hoping something changes.

Reactions: akaluana
This is so tough!

Honestly, I can totally see both points with perfect clarity.

Yes, buyer beware. I do my research before buying a $100 pair of shoes, let alone an $80,000 car.
But to @Abrew2014 point - Tesla could have very easily sent out a mass email to all those who purchased with a statement and maybe a link to the MTO official site. It wouldn't be hard at all. We've had hearsay and choppy communication from the phone agents and nothing official. Even when it comes down to the refund policy a simple "We're allowing all refunds to buyers in the province of Ontario until X date at X time" would be potentially lifesaving to someone who can't afford the car but is waiting and hoping something changes.

I agree, no consistent messaging.

New one, I was told within three weeks it will be refunded on my credit card

I agree, no consistent messaging.

New one, I was told within three weeks it will be refunded on my credit card

I'm waiting for that last person who actually received a refund to answer my question. How long ago did they cancel? Again, I was told I'd get a cheque in the mail in 30-60 days with the full amount of $4200. I even had her confirm this and she put me on hold for a few minutes to speak to her manager and confirmed that this was the case.

The oldest saying in the book - "buyer beware". Every Telsa buyer saw the news of the rebate ending. An email from them would have made zero difference. It sucks, I know. Free 14K is nice. We all would have liked it! Trust me. I just also know it's an impossible thing to sell to the media or the man on the street who is saving up for 12K new KIA.

I think you're missing the point. Yes, the rebate ending is unfortunate. What I'm saying is that Tesla could've handled it better from their end. As a Tesla customer (they have my $4200 confirmed order), I at least expect some notification, especially if they are in receipt of non-public communication directly from the government. This would have absolutely made a difference. A clarification email from Tesla would have avoided all the speculation that went on in this thread for the past 3 weeks. Cancellation / refund no questions asked? Refund only if no VIN assigned? Refund even with VIN? Refund only if canceled by this Friday? Last Friday? We're working on something so hang on for a few more days? Nobody really knows what the true policy is - and it seems to be evolving.

This whole situation is ridiculous I have an email saying 3 weeks on credit card

Now on the phone I’m being told 1-2 months by Cheque (which is unacceptable)

Tesla has a major issue and as good as their cars are, if they can’t resolve this communication and customer service issue they will die sooner then later, the new shine will rub off

I gave them $1000 without ever being able to sit in a car, then I gave them another $3200 without ever being able to drive one

The least they can do is be honest about their policies and what is happening