Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It wouldn't affect you. I changed colour options and the original deposit is still the date of record....but I ordered AWD so it wouldn't matter to me anyway :)

Why wouldn't it matter if it was awd? The underlying rule was cars under 75k. Unless it was the performance then that would make the case that your car would and should qualify as the base awd is less than $75,000

• Disagree
Reactions: adaptabl
Why wouldn't it matter if it was awd? The underlying rule was cars under 75k. Unless it was the performance then that would make the case that your car would and should qualify as the base awd is less than $75,000

They cancelled the program before the govt added AWD to the elligble list. Tesla filed all the paperwork, but they didn't jump through all the hoops. Same thing happened to 2019 Bolt and Leaf. Those aren't elligble either and all 2018s were sold out a while ago....

Hey, I wouldn't mind getting the rebate. But I'm a realist, and don't think there is any chance they willl all of a sudden add AWD to the list. Plus, I haven't seen anyone with a AWD order in Ontario with a confirmed delivery before the 10th anyway, so the point is kind of moot. I decided I wanted the car, and will just have to tighten the belt a bit to account for the rebate not being available for me.

They cancelled the program before the govt added AWD to the elligble list. Tesla filed all the paperwork, but they didn't jump through all the hoops. Same thing happened to 2019 Bolt and Leaf. Those aren't elligble either and all 2018s were sold out a while ago....

Hey, I wouldn't mind getting the rebate. But I'm a realist, and don't think there is any chance they willl all of a sudden add AWD to the list. Plus, I haven't seen anyone with a AWD order in Ontario with a confirmed delivery before the 10th anyway, so the point is kind of moot. I decided I wanted the car, and will just have to tighten the belt a bit to account for the rebate not being available for me.

Are you sure that they aren't eligible or are you assuming that they're not because they weren't added to the list?

I am curious as a case should be said that the base rule was cars had to be under 75k. So under that assumption (and there is no access to the old link for me to verify) one could claim that the rule should apply.

PS. It looks like you have the exact same car ordered as I do.

• Disagree
Reactions: adaptabl
What a croc of $hit (pun intended with the $)....from the MTO statement on their website:

"Ending the Electric and Hydrogen Vehicle Incentive Program could save Ontario taxpayers up to an estimated $1 billion over four years."

Yeah, nice spin trying to make the program seem like a waste of money. Wish we could talk about the actual truth, like how the program was funded not from taxpayers, but cap and trade, which was polluting companies paying penalties for doing harm to the environment and trying to encourage them to clean up....anywho...let's do some math for fun...

1 billion / 14000 / 4 years = 17, 857 EVs delivered per year in Ontario on average...and that's bad, why???

Looking at the cancellation survey someone ran here, I believe something like 30% of people said they would cancel their M3 order without the rebate. I expect for less expensive EVs that number would even be higher (ie, volt, bolt and leaf sales are going to nose dive more than model 3...).

So, let's say 40% less EVs will be sold over the next 4 years....that is then 7,143 per year less EVs on the road in Ontario, 28,572 over 4 years...and again I ask, that's good why????

I wish these were the types of things people were asking. Sadly, the general public is too easy to distract with the tagline 'government scraps program, saves 1 billion over 4 years'

Bah....

Last edited:
Are you sure that they aren't eligible or are you assuming that they're not because they weren't added to the list?

I am curious as a case should be said that the base rule was cars had to be under 75k. So under that assumption (and there is no access to the old link for me to verify) one could claim that the rule should apply.

PS. It looks like you have the exact same car ordered as I do.

99% sure it doesn't qualify, 100% sure I won't get it before the 10th :(

Props to the same config though! ;) I really wanted to go with white interior, but a 9 month old + white seats is probably a bad idea.

Last edited:
Reactions: PFC12
It was mentioned earlier that part of getting on the list is that a physical car had to have been provided to the ministry.

Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018

My understanding was that paperwork including VIN's had to be submitted and you can't get VIN's without having produced vehicles. I was never clear on whether a physical car itself had to be provided or not.

Providing the necessary compliance details however doesn't automatically get you on the list. Even if you qualify, they have no obligation to put you on and the cancellation of the program precluded any additional work on the EHVIP eligibility list.

Also, vehicles were never added in real time but rather batched and with most changes following model year change-overs.

I cancelled my TM3 last week and just purchased an BMW M2 a day before the announcement of Tesla winning the suit. I called Tesla back and it looks like they have not processed the cancellation.

I log in to my account and my edit button is gone and it looks like the car will be coming in.... but I can't cancel out of my M2 order since I already made a deposit. Needless to say I can cancel or if anyone here wants my TM3 (build below) we'll see if we can transfer ownership, prob easy to change account details and ownership on website and update it with your driver info. Cover me for my $4200 deposit and a small fee and its yours, assuming it makes it in for the refund, to which it looks like it will. Or I cancel now.

PM me. I'm in Toronto.

Build.
  • Model 3 Long Range Rear-Wheel Drive
  • Solid Black Paint
  • 18’’ Aero Wheels
  • Premium Interior
  • Premium Black
  • Enhanced Autopilot

FYI, I'm still looking for someone to take over my reservation. I was told by Tesla that the car will be ready to be picked up this week so it can be plated in time for Sept 10. If your interested, I am taking a fee. I think its justified that I do given the game of chicken with the Gov. I had the intent to purchase one, just not my luck that I am to receive one, but lucky that I still have the reservation for someone to get it along with a rebate portion.

Checked with Tesla, I can transfer my reservation, and the only thing this needs is the loan information from your financial institution. That black Tesla pic on that truck is probably it lol. For the lucky new owner, there's no time for a trade in, once you take over it you just need to put in your loan information and thats it, get this car plated.

Here's my email address [email protected] or PM me.

FYI, I'm still looking for someone to take over my reservation. I was told by Tesla that the car will be ready to be picked up this week so it can be plated in time for Sept 10. If your interested, I am taking a fee. I think its justified that I do given the game of chicken with the Gov. I had the intent to purchase one, just not my luck that I am to receive one, but lucky that I still have the reservation for someone to get it along with a rebate portion.

Checked with Tesla, I can transfer my reservation, and the only thing this needs is the loan information from your financial institution. That black Tesla pic on that truck is probably it lol. For the lucky new owner, there's no time for a trade in, once you take over it you just need to put in your loan information and thats it, get this car plated.

Here's my email address [email protected] or PM me.

What’s your fee?

You should not be profiteering. Buy the car or get a refund. Half the rebate?? You expect someone to give you $7000 out of thin air? Nice try buddy
you mean cancel the car or buy and get the refund? I'm going option 1, cancelling the car if no one picks it up by tomorrow. Like I said I can't back out of the other vehicle purchase.

If someone wants a TM3 with a partial rebate, then here it is... however small of a window that is.

a small portion of the rebate, I dont have a hard number, but to be fair, definitely less than half. PM me with what you think is fair.

What a douchebag....half of the rebate? Doug, is that you?

Cancel, let the next in line get it. Do the honorable thing.

Edit: Also, since the rebate will take about 6 months, effectively this idiot is asking you to pay 7k over sticker price for the car today....if you take him up on this, you are as much of a douche as him/her... After all the fighting people here have done to get the rebates honored I can't believe someone would take advantage like this. Karma is a bitch my friend...

Last edited: