Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Believe it or not, I am still hold on to my ICE which is a AWD with snow tires, fully paid off. My take is if it's snowing heavily, I would drive the ICE, otherwise, Tesla (on all season tires), no need to spend money on a new set of snow tires.

If I do trade in, not going to get any decent money back.

Probably look into myPace offered by CAA and put ICE into that program.

• Informative
Reactions: champion1955
While it might have been an administrative nightmare for them, if Tesla had discounted for the rebate at POS like other mfg's have, I'm sure the additional sales would have more than made up for the hassle on their end. We tend not to question when we participate in rebates for small ticket items. We put a lot of blind faith in them in fact. But when the dollar amounts are this high, we tend to (as CDN consumers) want a little more hand holding and assurances but difficult for Tesla to do when you aren't administering or regulating the program.

The onus for information about the EHVIP program rests squarely with the Ontario Government.

It would appear they didn't work out the fine details on how to re-administer to those who cancelled. Tesla isn't responsible for doing the Governments thinking for them however and it looks like they haven't yet gotten everyone on board within each ministry and/or they are dragging their heels but lets keep in mind it's only been one week since the email went out. Government wheels turn at a slow, steady pace usually. I don't think it's that out of the ordinary that front line workers aren't yet up to speed.

I think a simple re-wording on their EHVIP website would go a long ways to quelling people's fears. And as an added bonus, a rewrite of the application to show the dates we are now working with and an acknowledgement there is an extension for those who cancelled.

If you are sitting in the weeds as someone who received a letter, just do it. THIS WEEK. It will never come back. Ever.

If you are sitting in the weeds as someone who received a letter, just do it. THIS WEEK. It will never come back. Ever.
Although a provincial rebate is very unlikely to come back until Ford is gone, I do think there is a possibility for a federal incentive to come in 2019. There has been some rumours about this for a while. National ZEV strategy coming, but Ottawa re-canvassing provinces

Probably won’t be as good as $14,000 though.

You can use my Tesla referral link to get six months of free Supercharging on Model S, Model X or Model 3.
Tesla Supercharging Credit and Extended Solar Warranty

Reactions: adaptabl
Although a provincial rebate is very unlikely to come back until Ford is gone, I do think there is a possibility for a federal incentive to come in 2019. There has been some rumours about this for a while. National ZEV strategy coming, but Ottawa re-canvassing provinces

You can use my Tesla referral link to get six months of free Supercharging on Model S, Model X or Model 3.
Tesla Supercharging Credit and Extended Solar Warranty

If gas prices continue to remain low or fall, the Feds will have to do more than the past Ontario rebate to generate any EV sales. That as well as pressure to bring lower priced EV's to market will result in lower prices. Hopefully to a point that EV's can sell without government incentives.

I just got this email from my delivery advisor
It looks like they are not sure how the rebate will be handled.
So they are going to delay my delivery date till next week until they confirm with their legal team.

"
Just wanted to keep you updated and share my concerns that the Ontario government has not provided us any more clarity regarding the situation with the EV rebate.

For the time being, I would like to schedule your delivery date some time next week instead and should the news clear with the MTO and with our legal team, perhaps we can bring your appointment forward if things change for the better."

I've been tracking this from multiple sources since cancelling my M3 order originally as I was very curious as to what the cap would be. The consensus from a few was that a $6k POS tax rebate was being considered. If, by rare chance, no cap - I would have considered an S or X if not for this recent change of events. It would be much easier to roll this out than an entire ZEV policy.

Personally, I don't think a ZEV strategy will be implemented. The Feds announced they were developing one way back in May 2017 and targeting 2018 for deployment but there doesn't seem to have been any traction generated. All talk. No action. But it generated a lot of headlines.

With a new federal budget looming in a few months, we're running out of time and really it's now more of a political election issue. The liberals are already faced with letting down the environmental camp and also the pro-oil camps and risk disenfranchising both sides. Their message seems to be that we can have it all as a resource rich nation. I don't think many are buying it. They tend to be mutually exclusive paradigms.

Often these sorts of budget decisions are leaked ahead of time. I would have thought we'd hear something by the end of November. With each passing week now, the odds of a federal rebate become less and less. If nothing in the next 3 weeks, I'd bet against any federal EV program being released. Not impossible but odds are low.

By the time Ford is gone, BEV incentives may not be deemed necessary any longer if the cost of batteries has come down significantly. Incentives are mostly to level the playing field to encourage early adoption of the more costly technology.

I was referring to the EHVIP program. It will never come back. For anyone that received the letter, if you haven't ordered yet, I would strongly recommend that you do so this week. I have no concerns whatsoever that rebates will be issued for all valid applications.

Reactions: champion1955
I don't think you will see anything federally until after the 2019 election. The idea of EV incentives is not a popular with voters (perceived as gifts to the rich). If the Liberals somehow manage to win in 2019 than they will have time to put a program in place. It will also give them time to show how few EV's will be sold in Canada in 2019. Any program will have to funded on taxes on CO2 producing emissions. Low oil/fuel prices make this much easier to put in place.

Yep, robots robots robots running 24/7 with a planned down time once a quarter. Look at small consumer batteries, EV batteries are no different. Just need the supply chain to provide the raw materials.
Yes but let’s compare this to cellphones for example. When the iPhone first came out it was in the range of $400. Since then demand has driven up the price to $900+ even though production is at all time high. I get that new phones have more sophisticated technology than 15 years ago, but rate of production does not always dictate price.

• Disagree
Reactions: McFlurri
Yes but let’s compare this to cellphones for example. When the iPhone first came out it was in the range of $400. Since then demand has driven up the price to $900+ even though production is at all time high. I get that new phones have more sophisticated technology than 15 years ago, but rate of production does not always dictate price.

Apple is greedy and is a Luxury brand. Their prices will never come down - shareholders must get paid.

It's the other players who target the lower price market that will bring battery/EV prices down - BAIC in China is already doing that. They build tiny functional city cars for daily commuters. Smart phone example would Hwawei who targeted the low end Android segment and now are one of the largest players in the smart phone space by volume.

What we're getting at is a 3rd party battery maker can ramp up and sell to anyone who's interested (Like Panasonic to Tesla). Why not Panasonic / LG / Samsung to whoever is willing to pay? The demand is there for EVs? Yes - the will of the major manufacturers to change their tooling and product line? Still trickling in.

GM just killed the Volt - the best Hybrid ever made (technology wise; looks like ass). They just keep shooting themselves in the foot.

MTO.png