Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just checked with my DA. Yes, you will have to be on the list to qualify... He was telling me how some people meet the criteria but are not on the list. I wonder what it takes to be on the list....

I personally did NOT get an email from Tesla but called in last Thursday and inquired about this. Fortunately, I'm on the list.

I just checked with my DA. Yes, you will have to be on the list to qualify... He was telling me how some people meet the criteria but are not on the list. I wonder what it takes to be on the list....

I personally did NOT get an email from Tesla but called in last Thursday and inquired about this. Fortunately, I'm on the list.
I think what he means by "be on the list" is that some people ordered other configuration. AWD for example. Although this qualifies under the EHVIP requirements, it was never approved by the government before the cancellation.

He was telling me how some people meet the criteria but are not on the list. I wonder what it takes to be on the list....

If this is true, how do we find out if we're on this list?

I didn't get an email last week either, but I preemptively called the Tesla Lawrence location, and I placed my order with someone over the phone. I was never assigned a DA or anything. Someone from Tesla called me the other day to make sure that I submitted all my licence/insurance/loan info (which I did), and now I'm waiting.

I ordered in June, cancelled in July, and I better be on this list!

I think what he means by "be on the list" is that some people ordered other configuration. AWD for example. Although this qualifies under the EHVIP requirements, it was never approved by the government before the cancellation.

>>it was on the list provided to the Ministry of Transportation by Tesla Canada on September 6, 2018. If your vehicle is not on this list, it is not eligible. <<

The keyword is Sep 6, 2018. The list is provided by Tesla Canada. So I'm afraid it is not a list of eligible vehicles that qualified for the rebates. The list may be referred to a list of names and its corresponding email address.

Further, the original email that we got from Tesla is the vehicles are coming from the inventory.

As I suspect all along since the news came out from Tesla last Tuesday that a list of cancelled orders may be provided by Tesla Canada during the initial conversation, and it makes sense in any negotiations/discussions, namely, "How many cancelled orders are we talking here, tens, hundreds or thousands, do Tesla has a list, and if so, please provide".

It also looked like the discussion happened on Thursday, Sep 6, 2018. Ontario made the announcement on Friday Aug 31 that rebates were extended to Tesla as long as vehicles were delivered and registered by Sep 10. At that time, Tesla said they are working with Ontario on those customers that cancelled the orders.

And here we are 2 months later.

He was telling me how some people meet the criteria but are not on the list. I wonder what it takes to be on the list....

If this is true, how do we find out if we're on this list?

I didn't get an email last week either, but I preemptively called the Tesla Lawrence location, and I placed my order with someone over the phone. I was never assigned a DA or anything. Someone from Tesla called me the other day to make sure that I submitted all my licence/insurance/loan info (which I did), and now I'm waiting.

I ordered in June, cancelled in July, and I better be on this list!

The lacking of communication from Tesla is just frustrating, but again, they might not have a choice as the PC government is making it very confusing.

Why don't you try calling my DA - Shaun Henson from the original email posted and ask. He is very helpful. He also told me that he is calling back the people today who re-ordered but are not eligible for the rebate (not on the list).

The lacking of communication from Tesla is just frustrating, but again, they might not have a choice as the PC government is making it very confusing.

Why don't you try calling my DA - Shaun Henson from the original email posted and ask. He is very helpful. He also told me that he is calling back the people today who re-ordered but are not eligible for the rebate (not on the list).

Sounds like a plan, I'll do that tomorrow. Thanks for your help!

Good we have some clarification now on who's eligible to reorder.

Unfortunately, from this, it sounds like those that went ahead but got delivery after Sep 10 aren't...really feel it for them if that's the case :(. Tesla's original email sounded like they were included and someone on Twitter had noted they had called them and got confirmation they would get it.

I only got in "by the skin of my teeth" (see sig below).

>> "How many cancelled orders are we talking here, tens, hundreds or thousands, do Tesla has a list, and if so, please provide".
And here we are 2 months later.

I believe news reports estimated it in the 200's whom cancelled in Ontario due to TeslaGate. That's about 14million USD + taxes for Ontario Gov (minus the rebate = 14k - 9.36k = 4.64k * 200 = 928,000).

Dumb move to save less than a million dollars USD in rebate payouts. Lawyers likely cost more lmao.

Just to pile it on - if those 200 vehicles (assuming all Civics and driven at the rate of 600km a week) would of reduced 2208kg * 200 = 441,600kg of CO2 (486.78 US tons of CO2) - can't have that in our over stretched universal health care system. Who the heck does the government think they are to reduce health care cost and improve quality of life for "the peeeepole".

Last edited:
Reactions: champion1955
On a slightly unrelated (but still kind of related) topic, I've been trying to decide what to do about the rims/winter tires situation. I'll be getting the 18'' aero rims with all season tires (of course) and am thinking to just buy some winter tires and put them on the aero rims. Then, come spring, I can decide if I want to get some 18'' aftermarket rims and put on the existing all-seasons or spring for some 19'' or 20'' aftermarket rims + tires

So - I have two questions for you kindly people;
1. What do you think of that plan - can you think of a better alternative?
2. What 18'' winter tires would you recommend that would fit on the aero rims and would work well in GTA-level winter?

Thanks!

They do it strictly try to cut off Tesla sales. I don't think they realized they could be sued.

At the time of the July announcement, Tesla was the only one that can delivered the cars. I think if they allow Tesla, they will see at least 600 M3.

They finally announced the settlement a week before deadline, knowing a lots of them won't make it

All in all it's a dumb move, and costs us LTE for life. I think we should tweet Elon and ask him to honor those who cancel.

Reactions: champion1955
On a slightly unrelated (but still kind of related) topic, I've been trying to decide what to do about the rims/winter tires situation. I'll be getting the 18'' aero rims with all season tires (of course) and am thinking to just buy some winter tires and put them on the aero rims. Then, come spring, I can decide if I want to get some 18'' aftermarket rims and put on the existing all-seasons or spring for some 19'' or 20'' aftermarket rims + tires

2. What 18'' winter tires would you recommend that would fit on the aero rims and would work well in GTA-level winter?

Thanks!

That's exactly why I keep my ICE for now (snow tires AWD). I could see that I will drive Tesla 60% to 70% of time, we don't have that much snow and the road is bare after. Really don't want to make a choice yet as far as putting snow tires on M3 is concerned. From the video that I saw, 4 season tires on Tesla is fine most of the time.

Thanks!

M3 LR RWD owner here.

I put on Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3s from Kaltire on stock 18" aeros. They have been the most popular this season for Teslas. I will be getting summer rims (probably Replikas) in the spring.

Lots of threads floating around with tire talk.

Thanks!
I was thinking the same thing.

I've ordered a set of x-ice probably to put on the stock aero wheels.
As for the summer set, I was thinking to get with Replika R187 which is back-ordered until Jan or HT-01 (see attached).However, I'm not sure how this HT-01 will look on the M3 as my wife gave me some really negative comment about it last night.

Attachments

• IMG_20181128_101352_01.jpg
    IMG_20181128_101352_01.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 77
Reactions: Tertulian
That's exactly why I keep my ICE for now (snow tires AWD). I could see that I will drive Tesla 60% to 70% of time, we don't have that much snow and the road is bare after. Really don't want to make a choice yet as far as putting snow tires on M3 is concerned. From the video that I saw, 4 season tires on Tesla is fine most of the time.

I can 100% say the 2000 CAD investment on Rims and R3s saved me from a frontal today on the 401 where Black Creek Collector changes to the Express. EAP was following an black SUV at setting 4 cars going about 80km/h and I got the collision alarm. I slammed the brakes hard and ABS kicked in to stop the car a meter from the SUV. I assume someone cut in ahead where the lane ends and caused a chain reaction because everyone loves to stick to people's bumpers.

Risks are there. To each their own driving and life style.

Reactions: pcons and Tony_YYZ
Anyone else out there in the unfortunate position of cancelling their rebate-eligible pre-July 11th order and then reordered a Model 3 between July 12 and this new change and is now regretting it all over again?

Nothing about this recent change seems like it is in the best interest for the consumer, only Tesla. We were initially told that rebate was never going to happen if we didn't have the car Jul 11. Then we found out if we risked not canceling and took delivery before Sep 10 we were covered. Now we find out that if we were originally eligible, did cancel, haven't made other arrangements for a vehicle in the last 4-5 months and are willing to settle on whatever is in stock we can get the rebate again.

How can we know what decisions to make if the rules keep changing and we are not being informed? I am wrong in thinking that Tesla should have let us know that they were working on getting the rebates reinstated before allowing us to order their cars again?

I really feel for the buyers that bought before Jul 11 and didn't make the Sep 10 deadline. Does anyone know if something is happening for them?

Makes a lot of sense...but I had a diesel VW that had to go back to the manufacturer on account of the emissions scandal settlement, so I don't have an ICE anymore. Actually, I'm looking forward to never being gas again - it was always such a pain. Also, given that my work has free EV charging, I might end up paying practically nothing for charging as well!