Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Our 85 has arrived almost as expected.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not exactly a minor oversight but nevertheless not a big deal. More curious on how that passed QC. So you don't feel too bad, there was a post a while back of a car that came with one front fender with different paint. I believe George Blankenship was made aware and it was fixed immediately.

These things happen with any new company and any new product. So far, I've been very impressed on how Tesla has addressed owner concerns.

Makes me wonder at what point in the manufacturing/QA process they wrap the car to protect delicate components and materials. I know a QA guy gets in and drives it on their indoor test track, but if they have protective plastic already in place, then the next opportunity to catch those mistakes is during final prep before pickup when a couple of guys are probably more focussed on ripping off plastic than they are on the color of the interior.

They clearly aren't doing the kind of detailed checklists they were doing during the initial ramp. And this is yet another problem that traditional dealers probably catch and fix all of the time, like they do with the normal nicks and scratches that happen during transport.

Regardless, Tesla needs to adjust their procedures to prevent this sort of thing.

Makes me wonder at what point in the manufacturing/QA process they wrap the car to protect delicate components and materials. I know a QA guy gets in and drives it on their indoor test track, but if they have protective plastic already in place, then the next opportunity to catch those mistakes is during final prep before pickup when a couple of guys are probably more focussed on ripping off plastic than they are on the color of the interior.

They clearly aren't doing the kind of detailed checklists they were doing during the initial ramp. And this is yet another problem that traditional dealers probably catch and fix all of the time, like they do with the normal nicks and scratches that happen during transport.

Regardless, Tesla needs to adjust their procedures to prevent this sort of thing.

Well stated and could not agree more.

Makes me wonder at what point in the manufacturing/QA process they wrap the car to protect delicate components and materials.

I'm not going to state that I know for sure, but based on my factory tour last July it looks like as soon as the car is finished Final Assembly, it goes on to the "catwalk" (an elevated wooden floor inspection line) for the visual inspection and then moves on to the indoor test track and water test booth. I would imagine it gets wrapped after that and before loading on to the transports.

Given the amount of interest the cars generate, I think you could have a good time-- while showing it off-- pretending that the door panels DO match. If anyone ever asks about it, you just adamantly and self-righteously demand: "What ARE you talking about?!" and see how your passengers react to the possibility that they are riding with someone who is either blind and/or deeply insane on Tesla kool-aid.

Watch their faces as they try to figure out how to answer you-- without clearly calling you crazy-- and, just as they start to speak, floor it.

Might not convert many lookers into owners but it would be wickedly fun.

Given the amount of interest the cars generate, I think you could have a good time-- while showing it off-- pretending that the door panels DO match. If anyone ever asks about it, you just adamantly and self-righteously demand: "What ARE you talking about?!" and see how your passengers react to the possibility that they are riding with someone who is either blind and/or deeply insane on Tesla kool-aid.

Watch their faces as they try to figure out how to answer you-- without clearly calling you crazy-- and, just as they start to speak, floor it.

+ 1

Given the amount of interest the cars generate, I think you could have a good time-- while showing it off-- pretending that the door panels DO match.

Actually, we went to the opening of the Rockford (IL) supercharging station yesterday. There were about 25 Model S in attendance.
While we were showing each others our cars I pointed out that our car was "special". This elicited a response of disbelieve in everybody I mentioned it to. They were probably thinking: "How can your car be more special than mine?". I kept insisting and eventually showed them the door. Everybody I showed it to started laughing and agreed with me.

While not condoning the mix-up, I'm not sure it's time to worry.

They're putting out a lot of cars, and if this a one off, it doesn't reflect on the whole QC process. I've been a part of vehicle quality checks before, and even the best laid plans, with multiple checks and balances, you'd be surprised how far some blunders can go (unfortunately in this case, all the way to the end user).

I guess bottom line is, I wouldn't consider it an "overall" indicator of a breakdown in Tesla's QC process.

Actually, we went to the opening of the Rockford (IL) supercharging station yesterday. There were about 25 Model S in attendance.
While we were showing each others our cars I pointed out that our car was "special". This elicited a response of disbelieve in everybody I mentioned it to. They were probably thinking: "How can your car be more special than mine?". I kept insisting and eventually showed them the door. Everybody I showed it to started laughing and agreed with me.

Could it just be a matter of time before this shows up in the Design Studio as a special trim option? Elon, I think these is some extra coin to be made here. People like to be special! Maybe a $2500 "Extended Multimatched Nappa/Plaid Cloth" option? It would be bundled with the combination panoramic/Alcantara striped headliner, of course.

While these types of things shouldn't happen, invariably they do. Here's a LEAF which got a leather rear seat bottom instead of cloth: Picked up a new 2013 Leaf SV, but with a problem...

As far as panel alignment, you'd think that Nissan who churns out hundreds of thousands of cars would get that right? Nope - apparently a large number of '13 LEAFs were shipped with a significantly misaligned rear bumper: 2013 Leaf rear bumper misaligned!?

Now we are comparing a $30-35k car to a $70-$110k car, but Nissan has a lot more experience than Tesla and these types of mistakes really eat into the profit margin where Tesla has a lot more room to work with. BTW, I'm not saying that the Model S shouldn't be perfect - especially compared to it's competition - Tesla should be aiming for Lexus/Porsche quality not Nissan quality.

Same goes for us, wife aboard and only "nice" driving.:-/. Women...:confused:

Ahem... Not so in all households. I know for a fact that some women make their husbands motion sick in the passenger seat. Don't lump us all into one brush stroke. Just sayin.:wink:

- - - Updated - - -

Yes!!! Best idea I have heard so far!