Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Over ride speed sign detection?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had this yesterday when the car picked up a 20mph sign on a parallel road. I just pressed the accelerator to override the speed.

I did see a warning about Autosteer only working up to the posted (wrong) speed, but as far as I could tell AP was still working regardless?

I had this yesterday when the car picked up a 20mph sign on a parallel road. I just pressed the accelerator to override the speed.

I did see a warning about Autosteer only working up to the posted (wrong) speed, but as far as I could tell AP was still working regardless?
It does still work, but the underlying tech is cruise control, the purpose of which is to not need to press the accelerator...

The issue in this situation is that you end up having to pick which assistance feature you disable or override. Which means the speed sign recognition is reducing the usefulness of the feature set, not adding to it. If it's Beta, let me turn it off or over ride it when it's wrong.

Yeah here in Aus the car also sees inappropriate speed limit signs all the time. In normal manual driving in traffic it just means constant beeping, which is annoying, but yeah sometimes on roads where you want to use Autopilot and can't at the appropriate speed, grrrr. I haven't figured out how it decides whether or not to allow Autopilot to speed (with the scroll wheel) - as others have noted, some roads allow it and some don't.

If Autopilot can distinguish a bicycle from a motorcycle, why can't it just read all the text on a sign to know what to do. I'm pretty sure my car knows it is not a truck or a bus!

Because someone else (Mobileye) apparently has the patent for reading all the text on the road signs. So Tesla have to recognise it as a 50mph road sign, not as a road sign that says 30/40/50mph etc on it.

Because someone else (Mobileye) apparently has the patent for reading all the text on the road signs. So Tesla have to recognise it as a 50mph road sign, not as a road sign that says 30/40/50mph etc on it.
Annoying, but fair under current rules. Wish they would let us report and annotate things like this, especially when some are so reliably re-producable. They could crowd source the tagging of this and have it fixed for many situations pretty quick.

That seems unlikely to me. How could one company own the rights to read a sign? They can have specific patent on exactly how it works, but not the fact that it does it. I could be wrong, but seems like a lack of focus on the problem. If this is not the way the signage works in California, then it isn't much on their radar.

That seems unlikely to me. How could one company own the rights to read a sign? They can have specific patent on exactly how it works, but not the fact that it does it. I could be wrong, but seems like a lack of focus on the problem. If this is not the way the signage works in California, then it isn't much on their radar.
That's software patents I'm afraid. Total cluster.... But also way off topic.

They made a huge collection of one of the other signs (can't remember which, sorry. US only to do with priorities turning across traffic? Was in karpathy's talk last year). They just need the same here, and I wish we could help.

Reactions: DenkiJidousha
I still don't understand why you can't override it just with the scroll wheel?

But then, I have never tried using AP or TACC in a 30, doesn't really make any sense to use it there to me.
Autosteer won't operate at greater than the detected speed limit (+your offset) on a single carriage/A road. You can just use the scroll wheel on dual carriageway or motorway.

Makes sense, but assumes perfect speed limit detection.

7148DAC9-CAFC-466D-BA98-0F6DA4ED493F.jpeg

I have to agree ^^^ this is an absolute nightmare. These signs on the A9 have been great for safety but sat with your foot over-riding AP for an hour is BS. Tesla if your reading: these signs only apply to lorries AP should ignore them. The speed limit on a single carriageway road is 60.

Then we have cones.
0E603595-85EC-43B6-8A94-63B9E3ED5A93.jpeg
Every cone is on the line. So it sticks 4 inches into the driving lane. So AP and TACC slow down the car. Argh. 10 miles no AP no TACC (and no basic cruise control). What a shambles Tesla.

As for the actual issue in the OP, I can't say I've ever had this happen in two months of driving. When engaging AP I always have to manually slightly adjust the speed with the scroll wheel any way to whatever the limit is or I want it to be.

I generally turn all that overriding guff and offsets off in the settings as well. If I could turn the forward collision warning off completely without having to do it every drive I would!

It is a real problem, for some reason it works differently on A roads to Motorways and you can't override the cars opinion of the speed limit by more than 5mph. If the car has got that wrong (e.g. by seeing the lorry signs shared above) this will be a complete pain.

I've also seen this on NSL roads where there is no signage change but the speed limit is higher on dualcarriage way's. If the mapping data doesn't know this you get stuck at 65 when the limit is 70.

From the manual

1629297300098.png

I think the car's base mapping may actually be provided by HERE (owned by Nokia), even if it's Google on the surface. You can submit corrections which are integrated into the next revision of the map. Been fairly effective in my experience in that changes get propagated through the chain from HERE -> manufacturer -> car within eight months.

Obviously if Tesla use someone else in the background then ignore the above...

Obviously if Tesla use someone else in the background then ignore the above...

There has been much talk that underlying data is sourced from OSM (Open Street Map) but I cannot recall anything confirming that 100%, although some overseas have claimed that enhancements they have made for summon etc have worked their way back into the navigation data.

I also see no mention of Tesla attributing mapping data as OSM either and from personal experience of using OSM data for commercial use, also no sign that they are pushing derived amendments/enhancements back into the OSM community which they should do.

My suspicion is that Tesla use a number of different providers for different tasks, more than just traffic data. Also some recent info that navigation maps are not the be all and end all of what is shown on screen and that a change in software version can change what roads are shown. FSD Beta Videos (and questions for FSD Beta drivers)