Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Over ride speed sign detection?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Avendit

Apr 18, 2019
EDI
Hi all,

I wondered if a way to override the speed sign detection has been found yet? We drove up the A9 last week, where AutoPilot was previously pretty decent, but since the speed sign recognition it's turned into a complete pain.
It picks up these
1626258341385.png

at the end of each duel carriageway section (this one from here Google Maps), after which I can have auto steer at 50, press the accelerator to make auto steer work at 60, or put on TACC and do the steering myself. 1st world problems I know, but a step back from (now much) older versions without recognition which I could AP down most of the road other than choosing a lane at the start of each duel carriageway.

Is there anything I can do about it, other than wave a national speed limit sign on a stick in front of the cameras after each one?

• Funny
Reactions: Smidgeon and Durzel
I don't think there is much you can do about this. I have the same issue on a stretch of A49 where the limit is 60 but sometimes the car drops it to 30...With no obvious reason and not every time. Then I have to wait for the next roundabout where upon resuming AP it fixes itself.

Not ideal but if you have TACC set speed to current limit then could you not raise the TACC speed limit offset [added for clarification] in vehicle settings to +20 if it will go that far? Its probably much less restricting now that speed offset and warnings are now separate settings.

Last edited:
Not sure of the solution, but in the last few days I've had the car pick up an angled 30mph sign for the b-road that feeds onto the road I was on and think that that limit therefore applies. And it's misread an 'End of controlled parking zone' sign as a national speed limit sign (and therefore suggested I could approach an urban roadabout at up to 60mph). Luckily, I didn't have even the cruise control switched on in either case; I just noticed it on the screen.

Reactions: Cwmwd
yea I get it a lot with any smaller tuning off a 60/70mph A road with a bit of a slip road off the main road, where you can see the 30 sign.
As the signs are angled slightly it can read them and suddenly drops from 70 to 30. I have it almost every day on a 70mph dual carriageway, so I use my own foot for that bit of road

• Informative
Reactions: DenkiJidousha
I think its one you have to put into the "local training for each country is required". If it's any consolation, if you go back far enough (and it was 10 years or so ago) a BMW I had that could read speed limits would change to what ever it saw on the back of a lorry as the max speed. It will get addressed at some point but its on a pretty long to do list.

AP is only a hard limit on A roads; on duel carriage ways and motorways you can be illegal up to the AP limit of whatever it is.

The 20% increase should work (10% did), but that leaves you defaulting to 84 in a 70, which is a bit much for a default.

Exactly what I was about to say. Scroll wheel override. Just flick it up a few times.

I've had a few occasions whereby a 30mph speed zone shows on the screen as 10mph for no particular reason.
TACC can, but not AP on a single carriageway :-(. Have to press the accelerator and put up with lots of 'AP won't brake' messages.

Always works for me.

Does it depend on what setting you have for the max allowed adjustment above what the limit is set at? I turned that off completely.
I'll take a look at that.

@GRiLLA - mixed duel and single. I have pondered an FOI request to find how much this experiment brings the base to 50, but I definitely don't want to be the one at the front of a queue due to AP!

I think realistically there will come a time when the Govt has to think about speed signs with automated technologies in mind - e.g. banning their use on the back of lorries, wheelie bins, etc.. and only having the red border for actual universal limits, perhaps a blue border for advisory or vehicle-specific ones, etc?
I think the opposite. If the car can't cognitively recognise a true speed limit sign and one thats not because its on a side street, back of a lorry, or some do-good villagers make a cardboard one for unofficial traffic calming, then I'm not convinced the car will ever be bright enough to drive itself. As an aside, BMW (which is mobileye) cracked the problem somehow.

I know it has been a couple weeks, but I just came across this thread. I am constantly being annoyed by my MY slowing down when it passes speed limit signs for other types of vehicles. There is a stretch of road I travel often that has speed limit signs very frequently. But after each one that sets the speed to 45MPH, there is one right after it that says 35MPH for trucks and buses. I like to use autosteer often, so you cannot override it as you can just on cruise. So my car will suddenly drop in speed to 40MPH from 50MPH for no reason. On non-major highways it is limited to 5 over the limit. I know it annoys me, but the people behind me see even more upset!! Kind of dangerous.

I can't believe that this has been a known issue for some time and it is not fixed. If Autopilot can distinguish a bicycle from a motorcycle, why can't it just read all the text on a sign to know what to do. I'm pretty sure my car knows it is not a truck or a bus!

I guess I'll have to just find a long stick and a sign as the OP suggested!