Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Overhead garage charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I wanted to park my model 3 on the right side of my garage. But that meant plugging in to charge was a 2 handed operation and I had to walk around the back of the car.

I decided it was worth it to put in a little effort to come up with something better. So I welded up some wall brackets from scrap steel, 3d printed a charger hanger, and bought a 18 foot stick of square tubing. Total cost was under $30 and it only took a few hours which was mostly waiting for the paint to dry.

20190725_200325.jpg
20190725_200315.jpg

That is one huge garage door.

I have a post between two doors and considered mounting it between the doors but it was kind of narrow. So I ended up mounting it on the left side of the left bay. Works fine until it becomes a two EV household.

So I guess you're probably pretty tall in order to be able to put the handle back on the hanger?
It's a wide angle pic so it makes everything look bigger. I can easily reach up and grab the bar.

Have you tried BACKING IN?
My wife actually daily drives the vette and wanted to keep her spot and be able to get into either side of her car. The vette has giant doors so it needs a lot of room on both sides for that to work. The tesla has to be really close to the wall on the right. So this was the solution that worked the best.