Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Owner robbed at gunpoint and Model S stolen while supercharging in Barstow...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla should add an auto eject charging cable button that can be pressed from the center counsel so you can get the heck out of there when you see some shady characters walking up to the car. Having to get out and unplug the car could become very dangerous in situations like this. You are pretty much a sitting duck. then again Elon's automatic charging cable would also resolve the issue.

This has been a longtime concern of mine because of how we are trapped while charging. Agree 100% that we need an auto eject, perhaps attached to brake.

As much as I like the snake auto-charge idea, it won't stop carjacking.

I look forward to Tesla's solution in a future software update.

Meanwhile, please consider some common-sense preventative measures, since this could happen to you.

1. Photograph your wallet's contents, car registration, and insurance information and store offline.
1a. You might consider not keeping your car registration in your glovebox, or at least not having your home address on said registration. This is a judgement call, given the givens.
2. Keep post-incident steps handy - that means a copy in your wallet, on your phone, and in your glovebox. Review them periodically since in the case of a carjacking, you may find yourself without all three.
3. As much as it sucks to consider for domestic travel, since Teslas will only become more frequent targets as SC sites proliferate, a travel wallet (around the neck or waist) may be prudent for road trips. Keep a decoy wallet in the usual spot.

All of the steps above are useful if you're traveling to, say, Southeast Asia or Latin America. Regrettably, they also now have utility in California and various other parts of the US. California in particular finds itself awash in a newly-released population of criminals due to a failure to effectively manage prison and jail accommodations.

As I noted in a similar thread at TM, condolences to the owner not just for the car damage, but for the wallet and other impact.

best wishes to the owner this happened to. hope they aren't too shaken up.

also a good reminder to everyone to exercise common sense.

parking a $100k car, in a parking spot built for $100k cars, in a lot publicly known as such, around midnight, in an isolated location -- it's best to stay attentive to your surroundings. stay safe out there.

Car jackin is not a new crime. It's commonplace for ICE vehicles at gas stations that often aren't attended late at night and in car washes where drivers are stuck.

I don't see the superchargers as being any different and we shouldn't expect to be unjackable at any time.

Crime is and will continue to be everywhere because some people have nothing better to do and no desire to do better.

Car jackin is not a new crime. It's commonplace for ICE vehicles at gas stations that often aren't attended late at night and in car washes where drivers are stuck.

I don't see the superchargers as being any different and we shouldn't expect to be unjackable at any time.

Crime is and will continue to be everywhere because some people have nothing better to do and no desire to do better.

Even so, it would be trivial to code in some type of "disconnect" into the iPhone App that would disable the car in the case of a Car Jacking. I wouldn't be surprised if they don't do just that at some point. Kind of a high tech "Panic Button".

Pretty dumb criminals leaving fingerprints behind when already on parole, not to mention the distinctive tattoo.

Neck tattoo = poor judgement.

then again Elon's automatic charging cable would also resolve the issue.

Especially if they enable an "attack" mode for it.

metal-snake-164663.jpg

I simply don't understand how they got the car ... if you put the car in D while plugged in, all you get is an error code.

So they asked him or knew enough to remove the cord, close the power door and then drive off?

And presumably they stole his cell phone or he'd know where the car was.

As mentioned in this thread ... TESLA, it's time to FOCUS and deliver the "valet" mode that has been mentioned by Elon 18 months ago! Please!