Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Owners delivery stories, photos and first impressions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello from Switzerland!

I just bought a S85 Dez.2015 with 39'000km from a private owner buying out of a lease early. (He is getting a Model X) It is Obsidian Black with piano black finish without the center console and gray next gen seats. It is on coil springs has no winter package and no jump seats in the trunk, otherwise it has. I can pick it up on January 8. Because it is still in his lease, until all the paperwork is sorted, he is dropping it off at our local Tesla service center where I will pick it up.

I've been on the waiting list for a Model 3 but when I saw this offer on autoscout24.ch I contacted the seller right away (asking CHF62k). I still need to install charging at my house where I will likely have to park outside. My garage is very small and I want to test if it will be possible to use summon to park in the garage, before I put in the definite charging solution.

Took delivery of a 2014 MS60 just about a month ago and wanted to give some first impressions and thoughts since this thread has been so insightful for me prior to getting a Tesla.

CPO Process:
Wasn't originally much interested in a CPO since I thought that I'd surely be looking at $55k+ for an AP-enabled car, but happened to speak with an advisor that explained they see deals there never make it to the website. He found me a 2014 MS60 with leather, tech pkg/AP1, heated seats, and Dark Metallic Blue paint for $46k. At the time, I had never imagined a CPO AP1 car would ever be sold so low. Now I hear about them decently often and I'm sure it'll just get more and more common as those 2014 leases get returned. I really wanted an 85 initially, but was in need of a car sooner than later and didn't want to take my chances that I wouldn't find as good a deal on an 85 relative to this one.

Pulled the trigger on October 16 and took delivery December 4, 7 weeks to the day of my deposit. Only part of the process that I could somewhat criticize, and even then it could be considered nitpicky, was that my advisor estimated 4 weeks to delivery before I had actually put a deposit on the car. I had searched the forums to see others' timelines and found the standard was 4-6 weeks, so I crossed my fingers and hoped it wasn't just an over-promise to get me to put in my deposit. On the upside, he was very good at responding to e-mails. The longest he ever took for a reply was still under 24 hours.

I split the past 3 years between a 2014 BMW i3 and 2015 528i, so many of my comparisons/impressions will come from that.

Some impressions after one month:

- Seats are not super comfortable. Wouldn't call them uncomfortable, but I prefer the more form-hugging 528i seats. My Tesla seats are flatter and not as contouring. They also seem a little hard, but perhaps that's more of it being 3 years old?

- Handles worse than the 528i. Like, a lot worse. Hard to say that it has poor handling because it's obviously way ahead of the i3, as well as many, many other cars, but surprised that it's not a little closer to the 528i stock suspension. And I don't mean in terms of ride comfort. I'm talking turning radius (MUCH wider than the 528i despite being only 3" longer) and just plain steering wheel responsiveness. Putting the MS in sport steering mode (AKA harder to turn mode) doesn't help its cause. I don't find that Tesla sport steering mode actually tightens up responsiveness. Just seems to make corrections more difficult. Sorry for the rant.

- Acceleration feels oddly similar to the i3, even though the MS should be considerably faster. Have been in a couple 100Ds and the difference between a 60 and a 100D is extremely noticeable, as you'd imagine it should be. Just surprised I haven't noticed more of a difference from i3 to MS.

- Hard to find the "perfect" place to put my phone where I can see it clearly and reach it easily. To the left of the wheel is not as convenient as I'm right-handed. In relation to the LCD screen, mounting it to the left blocks it behind the steering wheel and mounting it to the right is a bit far away. Tried clamp mounts, which I attached to various parts of the center console area to allow me to position the phone almost perfectly between the screen and cupholders, but the neck of the mounts wobbles way too much while driving. Tried multiple cupholder mounts, but they all place the phone too far back.

- Somewhat regretting not having an 85, not so much for the total capacity, but for the Supercharging speed increase. Broke in my 60 with an LA-Bay Area road trip and, while it was decently exciting to get introduced to the world of Supercharging on the way up, I was over it by the ride home and just wanted to hurry and charge and get back.

- Autopilot is great. Autosteer isn't perfect, but if you understand the system's limitations, it's generally easy to work with and anticipate trouble areas. I do worry about the wobbling it does while finding lines sometimes and making it look like I'm a drunk driver or making other people think I might swerve into them. To its credit, it does have to deal with the unfortunate southern California carpool line system that ranges from 2 to 5 lines most of the time. Personally, the best situations for autosteer for me have been at night and when there are reflectors on the road. I'm assuming reflectors are likely much easier for the system to work with as opposed to the normal lines on the road.

- TACC is pretty rock-solid. The i3's TACC is garbage compared to Tesla. I haven't used TACC in any cars besides these two, but Tesla TACC is smooth, anticipatory, and just amazing. I'm sure we still have a while to go until TACC in any car is indistinguishable from a good human driver, but this seems decently close most of the time.

- Obviously, Tesla tech in general is lightyears ahead of anyone else. Funny that BMW is one of the more techy makers and getting back into the 528i is like going from an iPhone X to a 2002 flip phone. It's so awesome that my 2014 Tesla gets the same software updates that 2017 cars get. Looking forward to the navigation update that Elon teased recently.

Overall, I love it and any issues it has I'm happy to have to deal with versus driving any other car. We have an Model 3 on the way and I'm looking forward to getting to experience all the hype for myself. Thanks to the all the people that have written up their impressions on the car. They gave me a really good idea of what I was getting myself into. :)

Hi.
Got my delivery on December 23rd (Pearl White 75D, pano sunroof, white interiors). Had ordered 21 inch initially but changed last minute back to 19 inch wheels after reading about the decreased range/increased noise/increased rim damage on the large ones. I decided to use the money instead on aftermarket wheels. When it arrived, had the 21" wheels instead, so I drove away on the 21" while awaiting for the 19s to be delivered to the Service Center
I decided to go for 20" matte-black Tsportline TST wheels ( Pirelli P Zero 10" in back, 9" in front) which arrived last week and got installed at DiscountTire (great service, the guy actually did not want to get into my car, afraid of staining the ultrawhite interior so he asked me to drive it into the bay - which I wanted to do anyway). Got the carbon fiber trunk wing also from Tsportline (installed myself without difficulties), and finished with ceramic-based tint for the windows (30 on sides, 20 on back) to fight the Texas sun.

Overall very pleased with the car; only minor issues which were taken care of today during a quick trip to the service center (they picked up the car from my workplace and got it back before I could even try the 100D they loaned). The issues were:
- minor misalignment in one of the door trims
- Stripped stud/lug in one of the wheels, noted when the aftermarket wheels where placed in
- the inconvenience of the mishap with the 21 inch wheels.

I am loving the car. Autopilot doing the job during my long commute except for the fact that it likes to get too close to the outer line during curves and sometimes wants to follow old lines cris-crossing the highway. Of course torque/acceleration is great. I had an Audi S5 and though I was going to miss the German Interiors, but actually I am quite pleased with the clean and rather spartan interior; the white interior looks and feels luxurious. The only problem is that now my wife wants one! I suppose I will have to give Bianca away (that is the name of my S) and get the T3 for which I still have a reservation...

IMG_9835.jpg
IMG_9834.jpg IMG_9833.jpg IMG_9836.jpg
IMG_9837.jpg

Saw a Tesla taxi when walking past the train station with one of my work colleagues today.

She said ‘that must be cheaper for passengers’. When I asked why. She said ‘well he doesn’t have to pay for petrol’.

Half an hour arguing. Lol. She didn’t get why it would be the same passenger rate.

Picked this up a month ago. 2017 P100D purchased new. It will take some time to get used to it. It replaced me 2014 800HP SRT Jeep. I am regretting selling the jeep but the Tesla is growing on me. The performance is what sold me just going to order some rims and see where it goes from there. Needs allot of work to get it to my liking. Let the build begin. Here are some photos of the old and new....

Attachments

• 24232753_10159632548775282_5742757593489588738_n.jpg
    24232753_10159632548775282_5742757593489588738_n.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 293
  • 20180126_155303.jpg
    20180126_155303.jpg
    429.9 KB · Views: 301
Reactions: sundaymorning
Picked this up a month ago. 2017 P100D purchased new. It will take some time to get used to it. It replaced me 2014 800HP SRT Jeep. I am regretting selling the jeep but the Tesla is growing on me. The performance is what sold me just going to order some rims and see where it goes from there. Needs allot of work to get it to my liking. Let the build begin. Here are some photos of the old and new....
I like the red one better. ;)

Delivery: I ordered on 12/29/17 and took delivery on Tuesday, March 20th from new Fremont Delivery Center, so it was quite a long wait. As soon as I got her, I drove immediately to OCDetailing (thanks Joe!) for Opticoat and installation of 21" arachnid wheels. This is my first Tesla, coming from a 2015 Lexus GS350 F Sport. For those of you that haven't driven this particular Lexus, it's a sleeper. Not particularly fast, but very well mannered in the twisties, with a surprisingly good chassis and suspension set up. It was really a joy to drive and I was emotional to see her go. For an ICE, she was about as good as you can get. My delivery experience was smooth and easy. The new location is very Tesla: Modern, inviting, and with a sense of occasion. It was definitely special when I saw my new car for the first time. The person who walked me through the basics wasn't particularly knowledgeable, but the session after that was with a guy who really knew what he was talking about. Overall, I was very pleased.

Performance: Acceleration from a stop or anything up to 50 mph is brutal and more than sufficient for any possible situation. It does peter out a bit at 60-80 mph, but again, plenty fast. I'm surprised how good it feels from 25-45 mph. Around town it is effortless and powerful. The handling is quite excellent for such a heavy car. It feels planted and sure-footed. Cornering grip is plentiful, however I do find a bit of torque steer on sudden acceleration with wheel turned. The price you pay for all wheel drive, I guess. All in all, I'm very pleased with the performance and this is the SLOWEST Model S!

Wheels: I had the OEM 19's on for a very brief period before swapping them. They felt not good. I know most people find them quiet and comfortable, but to me it's just the opposite. As soon as I had my 21" arachnids installed, I felt like the ride was more composed. I'm a bit odd in that I really prefer a sporty (firm, not jarring) ride quality. Oddly enough it also felt QUIETER! It must be that I'm more or less sensitive to a certain resonance frequency. Lucky me, cause with how the car looks on those wheels, plus the fact that they are lighter (less unsprung weight) I would go for the 21's no matter what. Score! I sold my 19's on the same day I brought them home thanks to the great community on TMC.

Interior: I opted for the multi-pattern fabric seats and I remain very happy with that choice. They are comfortable, supportive, and seem like they will hold up well. Besides saving $3300, I appreciate the fact that they look upmarket, with vegan inserts in just the right spots, and grippy material. Most importantly, they're breathable fabric so should be cooler in the heat and warmer in the cold, frigid temperatures of NorCal. I actually prefer the glossy dark ash wood interior accents that came with the "standard" interior. Everything is a fingerprint magnet, so there's that. Although some surfaces are a bit chintzy, overall I think the cabin is elegant and modern. The design holds up well.

Battery/Range: This was purely a cost/benefit analysis. After one week, I'm still not 100% sure I made the right decision, but it hasn't been a fair test yet. You see, I'm not able to park in my garage at the moment because we're having some work done. So my ability to charge regularly overnight is compromised. Because of this I've already experienced some range anxiety: I neglected to charge at all one night. I drove my kids somewhere, ended up giving three unexpected test drives (with a heavy foot) then had to take my daughter to a birthday party. So it wasn't that unusual a Saturday for me. By the time I got home, I was at 6% battery and getting all kinds of warning signals. I would have hated to be that bozo on the side of the road with his 3 year old daughter and brand new Tesla. But it all worked out, thankfully. At this juncture, I might have opted for the 100kW battery pack. I'll come back to you after I'm able to have her in my garage nightly, charging on a regular basis.

Sunroof: This was the right choice. I've already opened it multiple times. Love it!

Color: Blue. I would do it again. My last car was grey, so I needed a change. With the dark wheels, it looks stunning. Dust and dirt shows much more than with a grey car, so upkeep will be more labor intensive.

Jump seats: I went back and forth. Now I kind of wish I got them, but they are an expensive option. With one 5 point harness car seat and two booster seats, my kids are a bit squished in the second row. Would have been nice to have the option for third row, but it's just as likely the kids would have refused to use it. Oh well...

Autopilot: I can't compare to first gen, but it feels smooth and handles everything I can throw at it so far. This is a game changer.

MCU: I lucked out and got the new generation. Needless to say it's snappy and responsive.

Radio/PUP: To my ears, the factory sound system is quite good. I'm very happy with it and don't need any upgrade. The PUP really isn't worth it anymore, especially since the automatic rear liftgate comes standard.

Will post pics soon.

Please feel free to reach out with any questions, all you fence-sitters out there...I had been on that same fence since 2013!

Took delivery on my p100d today. Only got to drive it for about 30 minutes (drove right to detailer). In love. New mcu is great. Couldn’t test autopilot because hasn’t calibrated. Acceleration is just hilarious every time.

Regenerative breaking and no creep will take getting used to.

Do you all use standard or low regen breaking? Standard seems so strong and kicks in so quickly I feel like I look like a crazy person braking all the time.

Reactions: juju