Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P3D- is absolutely ridiculous!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You better not drive a P100DL with Ludicrous enabled! My P3D+ is relatively tame in comparison, with a slight ramp up in acceleration from a standstill. The P100DL really slams the seat into you at launch. On my 30-minute test drive I launched it 6-8 times and by the end I was a little bit dizzy.

I agree. I seriously considered changing my P3D+ order to a P3D- when it was announced (mainly because of the 20" wheels) but stuck with the P3D+ because I ended up liking the overall look. The Alpharetta, GA DC had a bunch of P3D-s in stock when I picked up my car. It's a no-brainer if you've decided on a 3D.

My P3D- “looks” fine to me with 19” shoes.
Less pothole worry and much better efficiency.

47953530547_e211dc2d71_h_d.jpg

The M3P- has track mode, a top speed of 162 mph, and a 0-60 time in the low 3s. I really do like how efficient it is with the 18" wheels but I do plan on buying some aftermarket 19"s at some point, maybe they'll be even more efficient if they're lighter.

I have a P3D- and tried to like the Aero wheels for 6 months. But every time I saw RWD/AWD with 19” OEM wheels that looked than so much nicer than my “stealthy” Performance it drove me a little stir crazy. I finally caved and bought 19” OEM wheels. Now it looks as good as it goes :). I totally expected to lose 5-10% range. I lost nothing it’s all about the tires you use. My “summer” wh/mi with Aero’s (with covers) was 230 wh/mi and it’s still 230 with OEM 19”. See my signature for tires I chose.

Cost me $2800 and I got $1100 back for Aero’s. So it cost me $1700 out of pocket. And they are much better tires than the OEM 19” Continentals. Better, in that they are more efficient, quieter and will last longer. But they won’t have the same “track” grip as the Continentals. Some folks want grip more than anything.

I will still run Aero wheels with snow tires in Winter.
I went from 260 wh/m to around 300wh/m changing to summer tires on forged wheels that are lighter than the aeros without covers....

p3d feels slow after riding in a friend's p100dl

Reactions: Big Earl
What I find kind of hilarious is how the P3D- went from an oddity that was discontinued for a brief time, but now seems to be available again as an off-line configuration.

There is only about a $2500 difference between it, and the non-performance AWD version.

So unless someone is getting RWD the only reason they wouldn't get the P3D- is if they were getting the P3D+.

The P3D+ is a difficult pill to swallow since it has the bigger brakes which means you're stuck with getting third party 18/19 inch rims for winter.

I imagine the only reason a person would get a AWD version now is if they simply didn't know about the P3D- option. That's likely common as Tesla doesn't seem to even tell people about it. I can't even find the blurb they used to have about being able to get the different tires.

Reactions: Scott7
I guess the reason why Tesla won't make the 18" M3P version available online is they think it would hurt demand for the regular AWD version. Either that or customers having that feeling they found a secret menu option really boosts sales.

Your post made me consider a P3d-
Are they still available?

Yes, but only as an inventory car. There are a handful left so if you're not picky about color combinations, you will be fine.

Speak with an OA, have them locate a Performance with 18" wheels. Once they find a VIN, place the inventory order from the link they send you. If it is outside your region, expect to pay a delivery fee to transport the vehicle.

I picked up my Red/White P3D- a week ago July 24th. I had high expectations obviously since i plunked down $52.9k. But the car exceeded my expectations in every way: insanely powerful, ride/noise is good, audio system is a joy. TeslaCam is really fun I ended up recording a rear-ender in the lane next to me on my first drive home.

Reactions: Big Earl
I went from 260 wh/m to around 300wh/m changing to summer tires on forged wheels that are lighter than the aeros without covers....

p3d feels slow after riding in a friend's p100dl

Wheels mean nothing in my book. What tires did you change from too?

Even a non Performance Model S Dual felt so fast to me. I think because it's such a big car is partly why.

But a P100DL is freaken fast, and faster than a P3D with any shoes.

It drives ANGRY
ok that actually made me lol. I test drove one and I agree. It is an absolute beast.

One of my favorite things about this config is just how much of a sleeper it is.

Would love to see some pics!

LR AWD: 'Nice!'
Performance: 'Oh my...'

This is so true. It actually startled me because I didn't expect it. Best way to describe it is like a roller coaster taking off imo.

My P3D- “looks” fine to me with 19” shoes.
Less pothole worry and much better efficiency.

47953530547_e211dc2d71_h_d.jpg

Such a gorgeous car. this is probably my fav config.

Reactions: mswlogo