Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P3D- is absolutely ridiculous!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This. Most people don't follow the minutia of Tesla trim options like those on TMC. Admittedly, it does look more sporty.

Only a little. Most every car out there has huge wheels, and red brake calipers you get even on a Golf GTI. The spoiler (well, on a black car) blends in a great deal more than on any other color.

I really like the look of the 3P+. Given the option TODAY of both, I'd still take the 3P+.

Reactions: teasla
I really like the look of the 3P+. Given the option TODAY of both, I'd still take the 3P+.

It's the best looking vehicle in the entire Tesla line imo. The handling is also amazing, which I attribute in part to the sportier suspension and low profile tires. It would be interesting to compare with the P3D-, but I haven't had the chance, unfortunately.

For those that appear to be going from SR+ and LR AWD to the P3D- and P3D+, how are you guys going about it? I'm one of those unfortunate souls that rushed into the SR+ to squeeze out the bigger tax credit and then immediately had regret when the price drop was announced (and subsequently more regret when the P3D- became available).

Thankfully, I've only driven my SR+ so it hasn't been ruined for me but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't already eyeing a chance to right the wrong in the near future. I've seen the trade-in values leave a lot to be desired so it caught me off guard to see so many people talk about being on their 2nd M3 already.

For those that appear to be going from SR+ and LR AWD to the P3D- and P3D+, how are you guys going about it? I'm one of those unfortunate souls that rushed into the SR+ to squeeze out the bigger tax credit and then immediately had regret when the price drop was announced (and subsequently more regret when the P3D- became available).

Thankfully, I've only driven my SR+ so it hasn't been ruined for me but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't already eyeing a chance to right the wrong in the near future. I've seen the trade-in values leave a lot to be desired so it caught me off guard to see so many people talk about being on their 2nd M3 already.

I suspect people are just biting the bullet, here. If you can afford it, you do it, because why not?

This thread continues to twist the knife in my decision to buy a LR AWD just before the tax cut halved. Had I waited a few weeks I'd be experiencing this joy you speak of for the same price. Please, please, please may there be a path to upgrade to a P3D- in the near future…

<--- sad with his LR AWD now praying a software unlock is possible.

Add me to the pile of "regretful" owners of mere AWD cars who keep torturing themselves by reading the P3D- delivery experiences.

To the OP: Enjoy the car and thanks (???) for doing your part to convert me into a proper "please Elon, let us pay money for a software unlock" Tesla owner! o_Oo_Oo_O

Only a little. Most every car out there has huge wheels, and red brake calipers you get even on a Golf GTI. The spoiler (well, on a black car) blends in a great deal more than on any other color.

The P3D- minus became available the day after my P3D+ order. My OA told me about it and found one in my exact color before it started getting talked about online. I still went with the P3D+...3 more days.

forgive my lack of knowledge but where can I find a chart that tells what abbreviations like P3D and so on stand for?

There really isn't such a chart. You'll find that there is a lot of Tesla lingo, and since there are not defined model years as things get added you'll here a car referred too by a code name.

There is a Raven Model S Performance, but you won't see Raven in any Tesla material. Evidently it was an internal code name for an upgrade to the model S that leaked out.

As far as the Model 3, the P3D is what you see on the configuration page as the Performance Model 3 Dual Motor. Just recently, a pretty large batch of Long Range AWD Model 3's were given the acceleration and top end speed of the P3D, but not the other features of the P3D, such as the spoiler, larger wheels, brakes, and a few other things. Those cars are what you are seeing as P3D-

Reactions: jamessmooth007
P3D is made up as is P3D- (my personal non-favorite) P3D+ is what folks called Performance back when the first time you could get a Performance w/o the upgraded kit and bits existed, so it was the even-more-Performance I suppose (brakes, 20", etc)

So P3D supposedly == Performance 3 Dual Motor

Stealth Performance is the term (my favorite) coined for an AWD w/track mode, more acceleration but not the brakes,etc

As others say, keep reading.. you'll see the name wars ;)

Can’t wait to pick up mine tomorrow! Midnight silver and will be taking wheel covers off. There are lots still out there, work with an advisor who knows their stuff. Dyllan in St. Louis was great.

I am one of the ones who wasn’t considering a 3 until this came out, was planning on a used P85D or P90D model S.

Last edited:
Reactions: TyH2009
Nice. I’m actually considering the same thing. Did you order the 19s from Tesla? I think the 19s are a good compromise. Plus they don’t require any suspension adjustments. I’m thinking about doing the same summer/winter setup. I’m thinking about getting a set off eBay, which should allow me to install myself without a service center visit that’s 1.5 hours away. Is there any flaw in my logic?

Yes, I ordered wheels from service center. To many folks wanted to much money for them and they mostly came with the Continental Tires I didn't want any way. I looked and looked on ebay and never saw any "new" 19" come up. Many refurbs or Plasti Dipped ones. I think Service Center will ship them to your home if you want. Might cost extra though. My Service center is 40 minutes away and had 3 in stock and got the 4th one in 2 days or so. Center caps are extra (I think $15/each). You can use your original lug
19's won't have "Much better" efficiency than the 20" PUPs. A few percent maybe.

19’s have nothing to do with it.

It’s the rubber. I agree Continental tires won’t do much better than the OEM 20” tire. But a 700 Tread wear tire will do a lot better than even the Primacy’s (a 500 Tread wear tire).

The difference in efficiencies is not the rim size. It’s the rubber compound you choose. 20” OEM tires a very soft, inefficient sticky tires.

The trade off is grip vs efficiency. I chose efficiency.

This is since installing 19”. AWD Performance with AC. Exactly what I was getting with Aero’s.

48427273546_3ec9ac0859_b_d.jpg

P3D is made up as is P3D- (my personal non-favorite) P3D+ is what folks called Performance back when the first time you could get a Performance w/o the upgraded kit and bits existed, so it was the even-more-Performance I suppose (brakes, 20", etc)

So P3D supposedly == Performance 3 Dual Motor

Stealth Performance is the term (my favorite) coined for an AWD w/track mode, more acceleration but not the brakes,etc

As others say, keep reading.. you'll see the name wars ;)

I think Elon called it a P3+. "D" is redundant since all Performance Teslas have been dual motor. So I really am starting to prefer P3+ and P3-.

Reactions: jamessmooth007
I have an inventory P3- with a deposit on it, just waiting for finance to clear.

It has 18" aeros, can I swap to 19" before taking delivery, or will they have to find me a different car?

Also how much efficiency difference between 18 and 19" wheels?