Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P75D Model S???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It does if you're trying to stick a larger body on it.
How so? The drive unit is not a frame that spans the length of the wheelbase. You could theoretically bolt it to a Kia Rio or a Freightliner and the drive unit would not care. It obviously would not return the same performance but in testing phases, a test mule will be made to only test certain systems of the car that are unrelated to the dynamic performance.

How so? The drive unit is not a frame that spans the length of the wheelbase. You could theoretically bolt it to a Kia Rio or a Freightliner and the drive unit would not care. It obviously would not return the same performance but in testing phases, a test mule will be made to only test certain systems of the car that are unrelated to the dynamic performance.
Wheelbase matters, if the model 3 has a much shorter wheelbase how would you fit a model S body on it?
It wouldn't fit, wheel arches would not line up, the body overall wouldn't fit.

This is Tesla we're talking about, I'm sure they'll figure it out.

Even if the M3 in disguise is just a slightly smaller looking MS with the same nose, doors, handles,roof, hatch, etc. From any distance, it would be pretty convincing mock up until parked next to a real MS. I'm actually looking forward to the first one of these spotted in the wild.

Wheelbase matters, if the model 3 has a much shorter wheelbase how would you fit a model S body on it?
It wouldn't fit, wheel arches would not line up, the body overall wouldn't fit.
Again, a test mule does not need to fit the exact specs of the finished car. Test mules are created to test many different systems of them car, not just things that relate to driving dynamics.

That wasn't the question. The question is "is it real" i.e. an actual P75D. Anyone can buy real emblems from the Tesla parts counter.

My vote is that it's not real since Tesla has never sold or advertised a P75D.

As you know, Tesla has never made such a car. However, someone with advanced coding skills easily could - take a 75D and put the larger rear motor in, possibly change the thermal fuse to the active one from a Ludicrous car.

The resulting car will be much faster than a standard 75D or 90D off the line; without the active fuse, it'll top out at a lower total power than the 90s reach and be slower from ~40 mph? on up.

The active fuse allows a bigger increase in current than the 16 to 14 module increase in voltage, so a notional P75DL should be faster than a 90D at any speed, and much faster off the line, though still significantly slower than a real P90DL.

I'm not sure why anyone would build it unless it was for the novelty factor, but it could happen. (I agree with the consensus that this picture probably isn't that car.)

As you know, Tesla has never made such a car. However, someone with advanced coding skills easily could - take a 75D and put the larger rear motor in, possibly change the thermal fuse to the active one from a Ludicrous car.

The resulting car will be much faster than a standard 75D or 90D off the line; without the active fuse, it'll top out at a lower total power than the 90s reach and be slower from ~40 mph? on up.

The active fuse allows a bigger increase in current than the 16 to 14 module increase in voltage, so a notional P75DL should be faster than a 90D at any speed, and much faster off the line, though still significantly slower than a real P90DL.

I'm not sure why anyone would build it unless it was for the novelty factor, but it could happen. (I agree with the consensus that this picture probably isn't that car.)

Although wk057 has turned a regular 85 into a P85 with a configuration change, I don't think even he could do what you suggest ;)

No disrespect, but this thread reminds me that most Tesla owners aren't "car people"

This type of funky development mule - a cobbled together frankenstein - is entirely common in the auto industry

I'm not confirming or denying what this is or isn't, I'm just saying it shouldn't be so surprising

Reactions: HankLloydRight
Again, a test mule does not need to fit the exact specs of the finished car. Test mules are created to test many different systems of them car, not just things that relate to driving dynamics.
Sounds highly unsafe, wouldn't it be easier to have the actual model 3 body on model 3 chassis just highly camouflaged if they're so bent on keeping it a secret.

Also, only on TMC can an emblem cause a multi page thread... and I love it! :)