Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85 Badging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I removed all badging on my Saab 95 and that made it look much "cleaner". Besides It also Get people a bit curious of "what kind of car is that?"

Not sure that's a good idea. Everyone's seen a Saab. Most people haven't seen a Tesla. My Roadster's TESLA logo is kinda hard to read. As a result I often get people tailgating me trying to read it. Quite annoying. If there's nothing at all you might find people doing stupid stuff while trying to figure out what your car is.

I'm rather the opposite, I'd rather have no badging and woudn't mind getting rid of the "Model S" badging as well. As long I know I'm driving the Performance version, that's good enough for me.
I removed all badging on my Saab 95 and that made it look much "cleaner". Besides It also Get people a bit curious of "what kind of car is that?"
If I do get the Performance, I'll go for thr CF spoiler though. Then Tesla people would know it's a Performance. The P85 badge would not make any sense to people not knowing Tesla anyhow.
Heh.
If you're really driving the Performance, nobody will have time to see the badging.
If you're parked, then it's just an excuse for people to drool, hate or steal. None of which really appeals to me.

Just one opinion.

Last edited:
I'm sure if Tesla decides to offer a badge, it will be available to add. I had someone peel off most of my Roadster Tesla logo & it was easily remedied the next time I was in Menlo Park.

I'd probably opt NOT to add a badge, but agree it should be an option.

Should be the same height as the Model S badge, or maybe a slight bit bigger IMHO.

Can anyone measure the width and height of the Model S letters along the back?

- - - Updated - - -

UPDATED to reduce height

So, I've been working on ideas for badges.

I have designed a series of badges, with the first one being a simple P85 marker, and several others of different dimensions and shapes. They would all be solid aluminum (either polished or brushed) with paint-fill, and some may have a domed clear top layer.

P85-ver3-art-final.jpg

It would look like this on a car - the current thought it about 4" wide and 2" tall; is it still too big?

P85example3.jpg

I'd appreciate any commentary, criticism, or suggestions for this or other badges.

If I can come to some consensus, I'd start selling them. I can't and wouldn't use the TESLA logo or other copyrighted material, but much can be done without that.

David

Looks like no one is interested in this idea, which surprises me.
I had at least hoped for some feedback about not liking it, and perhaps something that was more acceptable.

David

Well, since I started the thread, I might as well comment :) In general, the idea of a P85 badge appeals to me, but the design has to be subtle and blend in *perfectly* with the car. Side story time: When I got my 1999 Passat, I got the 1.8T. The only badging Passat had for their engines was for the V6, the 1.8 was conspicuous in it's *lack* of badging. Except in Europe. Now here's the funny thing. In Europe they understood the 1.8, that it's actually a pretty freakin' awesome engine, combining fuel economy and power, so guess what.. They *HAD* a 1.8T badge, but only over there. So.. to the internet I went, I ordered a badge and had it sent over here and I installed it in the exact position that VW had intended. The match to the the badge 'Passat' was perfect.

OK, enough of the side story, my point really is this. If it's not designed and manufactured by Tesla, there will be something about the badge that doesn't fit the car, the slope of the letters, the font, the kerning, the exact reflectiveness of the chrome, etc.. so.. unless Tesla makes the badge, it just won't work for me.