Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85 Badging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks again. I guess mine will be slightly taller at 0.6" instead of 0.5625". Close enough. :)

I finished up the 3D model today and ordered prints in 3 different plastic materials though it sounds like it'll be a few weeks before I get them. Costs for each print range from $4.31 to $7.10. After those come in I'll see how they hold up to painting. If I can't get the finish I'm looking for, I may search around for a local shop that does chrome plating... And if they can't plate the plastic I may try a polished alumide or stainless steel print instead. ($4.58 and $18.32 respectively)

Count me in as your first client!

I'm sure if Tesla decides to offer a badge, it will be available to add. I had someone peel off most of my Roadster Tesla logo & it was easily remedied the next time I was in Menlo Park.
I'd probably opt NOT to add a badge, but agree it should be an option.
Finally. Someone who realizes that there are 31 flavors of ice cream for a reason!
Just because you don't like Rocky Road (I do) doesn't mean it shouldn't be offered!
Thank YOU Bonnie for that comment.

- - - Updated - - -

Looks like no one is interested in this idea, which surprises me.
I had at least hoped for some feedback about not liking it, and perhaps something that was more acceptable. David
As someone who tilts considerably more garish than most in the Tesla community
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...-Roadsters/page4?p=40337&viewfull=1#post40337
(oh, wait until you see my garish MSP... in process) :eek:
I think your design is on the too garish and too large side! :tongue:

I finished up the 3D model today and ordered prints in 3 different plastic materials though it sounds like it'll be a few weeks before I get them. Costs for each print range from $4.31 to $7.10. After those come in I'll see how they hold up to painting.
If you will be painting them in a color other than chrome, I think it is important to render them on the car in all the colors that Tesla Model S is offered in.
For instance, the P85 that was on car #1 had some red stripes down the long end of the P that was very BMW 'M' logo like.
The red on the 'P', IMHO, clashed with the signature red color of the car, while it would have gone well on a black or white car.
If I can't get the finish I'm looking for, I may search around for a local shop that does chrome plating... And if they can't plate the plastic I may try a polished alumide or stainless steel print instead. ($4.58 and $18.32 respectively)
Since you are in LA, you should stop by Al & Ed's in West Hollywood and speak with Elie who will have referrals for you.
http://al-eds.com/store/west-hollywood/category/tesla-motors/

If you will be painting them in a color other than chrome, I think it is important to render them on the car in all the colors that Tesla Model S is offered in.
For instance, the P85 that was on car #1 had some red stripes down the long end of the P that was very BMW 'M' logo like.
The red on the 'P', IMHO, clashed with the signature red color of the car, while it would have gone well on a black or white car.

Since you are in LA, you should stop by Al & Ed's in West Hollywood and speak with Elie who will have referrals for you.
http://al-eds.com/store/west-hollywood/category/tesla-motors/

Thanks for the heads up. My car will be grey so I hadn't given much though to the shade of red.

Update wise: the test prints shipped a few days ago, but I'm out of the country until the 17th so I don't know what they look like yet. Sometime during the week of the 18th I hope to get the first ones done. That's also the last week of my delivery window, so I may end up a bit preoccupied. :) I'll post pics as soon as I have something.

If anyone is willing to have this badging made for purchase (maybe a group buy) count me in...I would like to have the P85 on my car!

- - - Updated - - -

Count me in Scriptacus as I am also in Los Angeles and would like the P85 badging on my car as well...although I plan on blacking out most of my chrome with either matte vinyl wrap or carbon fiber wrap. Also have you thought about replacing the center grill plastic cone with a much cooler black mesh grill to match the lower mesh of the car? Thats what I also plan on doing but do not know which bodyshop to go to yet! Any ideas?

Thanks again. I guess mine will be slightly taller at 0.6" instead of 0.5625". Close enough. :)

I finished up the 3D model today and ordered prints in 3 different plastic materials though it sounds like it'll be a few weeks before I get them. Costs for each print range from $4.31 to $7.10. After those come in I'll see how they hold up to painting. If I can't get the finish I'm looking for, I may search around for a local shop that does chrome plating... And if they can't plate the plastic I may try a polished alumide or stainless steel print instead. ($4.58 and $18.32 respectively)

Last edited by a moderator:
Update:

Bad news. The Mirror Chrome paint on the 3D prints doesn't really work. The smoother materials have striations, and the fine detail materials have a sort of fine grained texture. Unfortunately in both of these cases the paint picks up all of these imperfections and never quite gets smooth. The parts are all too small and fine to attempt sanding down (e.g. The inside loops of the "8").

I have one unpainted print left that I may try to get chromed, though I'm not sure what the cost will be, or if the plastic can even work with the process.

Best bet at this point is probably to try and do a group buy on an actual shop made badge, as mentioned in another badging thread.

I've seen it with my own eyes: Tesla is factory installing a P85 badge on the PS. I was at the Costa Mesa Service center and my DS showed me a car with the badge on and noted that the factory is now installing them. Sorry, I didn't think to take a photo, however this should be easy to verify.

I've seen it with my own eyes: Tesla is factory installing a P85 badge on the PS. I was at the Costa Mesa Service center and my DS showed me a car with the badge on and noted that the factory is now installing them. Sorry, I didn't think to take a photo, however this should be easy to verify.

Huh. So... will they offer to badge current P85s (I don't know how I feel about the idea).

Huh. So... will they offer to badge current P85s (I don't know how I feel about the idea).

Good news! Just asked my local Tesla service advisor (as my car is currently being serviced) and yes, we can order the P85 badge!

"Indeed, the badge is available, we have some on order and should receive very soon. If the order arrives this week I will install one with pleasure. Otherwise I'll put one aside."​

Good news! Just asked my local Tesla service advisor (as my car is currently being serviced) and yes, we can order the P85 badge!

"Indeed, the badge is available, we have some on order and should receive very soon. If the order arrives this week I will install one with pleasure. Otherwise I'll put one aside."​

Nice, but what does it look like ;)

Well, I don't have a performance, but here's what the badge looks like on my new standard 85 (picked up yesterday from the factory):

badge2.jpg

Last edited: