Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85 Badging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK, enough of the side story, my point really is this. If it's not designed and manufactured by Tesla, there will be something about the badge that doesn't fit the car, the slope of the letters, the font, the kerning, the exact reflectiveness of the chrome, etc.. so.. unless Tesla makes the badge, it just won't work for me.

yea i'm kinda the same way. not rational, but true...

I don't think there would be much call for 40 or 60 badges so I if I were going to add anything I would just go with the word "Performance" in a similar script to the one used for "Sport" on the Roadster as the 85 is a bit superfluous.
Personally, as I'm not getting a performance I will stay with nothing.

From the "about your Tesla" screen in my car -

IMG_8448[1].jpg

The car graphic at the bottom of the Teslamotors.com supercharger page also has the P85 badge -
http://www.teslamotors.com/supercharger

Jurvetson's (#1) looked different, IIRC.

No, you are right of course. I think the alternate idea proposed was whether echoing what's on the dash screen could be nice...

In my (ill-conceived) message in the middle of this thread, I was trying to hit something similar but not just copy the original P85 badge... I think a copy of that badge is definitely possible, though.

David

Can someone post the dimensions (WxHxD) of the "Model S" badge on the back of the car? (I'd help in making a properly sized aftermarket badge)
Welcome to the forum. You're in luck. I happen to have something for ya:
RearBadgingOnGraphPaper.jpg

The backing is 8.5" x 11" graph paper, so the "Model S" is approximately 8.5" wide. Note that the spacing isn't identical to when the letters are attached to the vehicle, as they are detached from the vehicle in this photo.

Notes:
- The red on the T(esla) logo is just a reflection.
- The "Model S" thickness ia about an 1/8th of an inch.
- The "T" thickness is about 3/16th of an inch.

Wow, that's just about perfect! Can you verify that the M is ~ 0.5 inches tall? (I got that via 8.5" / 34 (grid squares) * 2 ... the M looks about 2 squares tall)

If anyone cares, my current plan is to use the image from page 5 (http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=14669&d=1358354830) as a base. That's the most "official" looking reference that matches the P85 badges on Elon's car and others, so that 's what I am going with.

1) Vector version of the letters from the image above. (Done)

2) 3D model of the badge.
In progess; I'm working on getting the slight bevel to export from either Maya or Blender properly... otherwise I'll have to go with sharp edges and sand them down later

3) Get 3D prints of the models.
In progress: Shapeways - Make Share Your Products with 3D Printing I've been uploading the unfinished 3D models to get an idea of the cost... probably around ~$3-5 per print for the smooth plastic

4) Chrome the 3D print
Researching: Short of actual triple plate chroming, I'm currently planning on using products from either UK's Premier Supplier Of Chrome Paint - Chrome Paint or Spaz Stix Paint to get the chrome finish. That will be followed by hand painting in the red center on the "P" (the 3D printed model should have a trough for that, so precision won't be an issue) and finally an automotive grade 2k clear coat.

All in all I expect the project to cost around ~$40-50 (with lots of leftover paint). As to why I'm doing it this way; I've been unable to find a company that will do small quantities (< 250) of custom emblems. EmblemART will do them, but the style of their prints isn't right.

Almost exactly 9/16ths tall.

Thanks again. I guess mine will be slightly taller at 0.6" instead of 0.5625". Close enough. :)

I finished up the 3D model today and ordered prints in 3 different plastic materials though it sounds like it'll be a few weeks before I get them. Costs for each print range from $4.31 to $7.10. After those come in I'll see how they hold up to painting. If I can't get the finish I'm looking for, I may search around for a local shop that does chrome plating... And if they can't plate the plastic I may try a polished alumide or stainless steel print instead. ($4.58 and $18.32 respectively)