Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85 Premium Seat Retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also found a way to make the adjustable headrest work without the UI. All you need to do is install a diverter switch from the up/down lumber motor wiring. When you click up on the lumber support the motor will drive up and click down will drive it down. Use the switch to pick between the two (lumber support vs headrest). The only thing to watch for is that put the switch back to lumbar before exiting vehicle (memory module for seat settings)

Interesting, I was planning to add a separate switch for manual headrest control so no one accidently leaves it, and it's rarely used. How did you switch lumbar from 2 to 4 wires, or did you use nextgen controllers?

Interesting, I was planning to add a separate switch for manual headrest control so no one accidently leaves it, and it's rarely used. How did you switch lumbar from 2 to 4 wires, or did you use nextgen controllers?
I'll take some pics and write everything up when I get back. I have to make a trip up to MN to see some family. Should be back in 4-7days.

As for the wiring all the motors on the newer seats have four wires but really only need two for power. My guess is that the other two is feedback or position signal that the new controllers use for finer control position.

I'll take some pics and write everything up when I get back. I have to make a trip up to MN to see some family. Should be back in 4-7days.

As for the wiring all the motors on the newer seats have four wires but really only need two for power. My guess is that the other two is feedback or position signal that the new controllers use for finer control position.

Ahh ok, so I can ignore those 2, I think I can keep moving along ;) Thanks!

I take it the seat back heater is the same were we only need 2 of the 4 wires? I noticed the new heater uses the same plug as the steering wheel heater.

Enjoy your trip!

9EDA091E-006C-4ADB-BC94-5FA0896B4573.jpeg
Here’s the changes needed for lumbar adjustment. White with pink (new connector) goes to blue (old harness), white with brown (new connector) green wire (Old harness).

243D675F-4A0B-4D2A-B81C-5A0AF64CCB8E.jpeg

Yellow wire (new connector) goes to yellow green (old harness) and white with red (new connector) goes to blue/red wire (old harness)

Lumbar memory seems to be gone, I cant remember if it worked before.

I think I have to move the heater ecu over from old seat.

Reactions: DrakeM
Hi! Just so I understand this correctly... You gave up on using the ventilated seats? I have a set of those I was planning on using in my 2013 P85+. I was thinking I could get everything to work by modifying and adapting the wiring for the most vital functions, but the fans I was planning on running manually from two switches hidden somewhere, since there is no function for this in my car from new. Would you say I won't make this work?
Will you be making a complete guide for your work? That would help a lot :)

Thanks!

Gard
Norway

Hi folks.
I am doing the same install. 2019 seats in to an 2013 model.
And I got most things figured out with all the sensors and motors.

The airbag seems to have 3 wires in the old seats and 4 wires in the new seat. and totally different colors on the wires.
Any tips on how to connect this?

Also, I was wondering if anyone have done the custom side panels to fit the old switch panel.

Reactions: Rockwell
I am actually mostly done with the installation now.
The seats are in the car, and all motors work, with memory.
I have not connected the heater, and also the airbag lamp is on so i guess i did not connect it corretly.
Any help with correct colour mathcing would be apriciated.

Airbag.jpg

I'll be back at it soon. Sorry I've been like a ghost on here lately. I've got a lot of stuff going on right now and doesn't help that I'm on bed rest with my lower back now.... hopefully in a week or so I'll be good to go and I can finish the installation. I've also been designing the new side panels :)

Last edited:
I'll be back at it soon. Sorry I've been like a ghost on here lately. I've got a lot of stuff going on right now and doesn't help that I'm on bed rest with my lower back now.... hopefully in a week or so I'll be good to go and I can finish the installation. I've also been designing the new side panels :)

Thanks.
Are you also getting airbag warning? I belive you mentioned in post #24 that there was none.

I compared the new and old seats using ohm meter, and i am quite comfident the wires are correctly setup.
The two wires with stripes (old hardness) is close to short, like 1-2 ohm.
There seems to be no connection between the brown (old hardness) and the other two wires.

Atleast it looks good.
I also installed an 2019 center console, and the carbon trims in dashboard.

I will take apart the old seats to really figure out how the airbag and the seat heating is connected.
Suspect the brown wire is the "sense" cable to see if the airbag is connected somehow.

I have an friend that is an master with 3D printers and laser cutters, will se if he can help me with the side panels.

Fremsete.jpg

Baksete.jpg