Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D vs. P85 Efficiency Testing, Take 2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm finally seeing efficiency improvement! The screenshot below shows my avg of 306 Wh/mi over 32.3 miles, much of it on highways and constant speeds using TACC, compared to my lifetime avg of 406 Wh/mi. (P85D with fw .139, insane, no range mode)

View attachment 71549

On an slightly unrelated note, I'm hearing a "click" noise from the front of the car (maybe the front motor?) when I come to a complete stop and when I take off again. It's not real loud but it's definitely obvious. Anyone else hearing this? I didn't notice it until this afternoon and I've been on fw .139 for quite a while. I had the radio off and the window open a bit so I could listen for torque sleep so maybe it's been happening but not loud enough over the music and closed windows. I'll try to get a video later.
Yes I heard the click noise today too. I got .140 2 days ago.

My unscientific observation after loading .140 this evening is I took a 120 mile roundtrip (60 miles each way) and don't see any noticeable improvement. 48 degrees F, no wind, all interstate with speed varying between 60 and 70 MPH. Range Mode = ON. Used 355 Wh/mi. Would have been about 300-310 Wh/mi in my P85+ with Range Mode OFF.

Obviously I won't pass judgement until I'm able to log more miles under varying conditions but my initial impression is not good.

Repeated this drive this evening (same weather conditions as above). First leg of trip (home to Baton Rouge) was same result - no improvement in range. So, about midway there I pressed the Voice Command and stated "REPORT - no range improvement with latest firmware". Got the acknowledgement that it was reported and continued on to the Baton Rouge Supercharger. About 10 miles out of Baton Rouge I noticed what I perceived to be an improvement in energy usage but I had slowed from 70 MPH to 65 MPH.

Departed the Supercharger to head home and again set TACC to 65 MPH (60 MPH speed limit until well out of Baton Rouge). Traffic was a bit heavy so TACC was varying speed from 55 to 65 MPH. Increased speed to 70 MPH for the last 35 miles of the return trip.

While not as dramatic as some others are reporting, I've seen an improvement - as if someone flipped a switch shortly after I sent the report/logs...

Here is the last 30 miles:

20150207_030351140_iOS.jpg

The whole trip ended being 333 Wh/mi (with the first 50 miles consuming about 355 Wh/mi):

20150207_030611873_iOS.jpg

So, at this point I'm encouraged.

Maybe regen is more efficient. The more regen you demand out of one wheel the less efficient it is. Spread that same amount of regen to all 4 wheels and you get 4 wheels regening at a higher efficiency. Same amount of slowing but a larger part of that energy coming back into the pack.

joer,
I noticed early on with my first P85 that it did not really seem to matter how hard you accelerated (within reason of course) to get up to speed. I still seemed to use about the same amount of energy to get the car up to speed. What really makes all the difference in the world is NEVER using the brakes to scrub off speed. Anticipating traffic to keep from stopping at stop lights is magical. Coasting followed by regen to stop when you must helps a lot. I've always had an interest in the efficient use of energy which applies to just about any type of driving so it was natural to drive MS efficiently.

Of course it helps that I live in flat South Florida, do not have to drive in rush hour traffic and have year round reasonably moderate temperatures. This is why I try to keep my comments limited to my back to back results as opposed to outright efficiency numbers. We will all have different average WHr/mile results but what matters is if we have the equipment to achieve those averages or not.

I drove VERY forward looking with my P and hardly ever used the brakes. The TACC is TERRIBLE in that sense, I will switch it off for my tests (I will go to Orlando now, let's see what the results are).

The average since my last charging session went UP to 436 wh/mile. I am hardly getting 150 miles out of a 90 % charge, that is frustrating.

From the video wk057 posted, I think this consumption might be normal for a D in Insane/No Range mode and city driving. His D was in the 500's in the beginning and stayed in the 400's for a long time until it finally got down on the highway.

I want to see how the Tesla stated city range can be achieved ! Must be a city with no traffic lights !

No difference for me on .140.

I guess I have to conclude that the terrain around here is not amenable to torque sleep.

Would you please consider including some data for a trip or two in the following thread, so we can see how your efficiency compares to mine, and hopefully to other people's who also aren't seeing improvement, as it compares to EV Trip Planner as a benchmark?

Comparing P85D Torque Sleep efficiency (versions .139 and .140) to EV Trip Planner

So far, using EV Trip Planner as a benchmark has been interesting, in that those people who have seen increases in efficiency are doing better than EV Trip Planner would predict, and my results have been worse than EV Trip Planner predicts. But to date, I am the only person who has posted who has not seen an improvement in efficiency. The thread would be more useful for everyone if more people--those of us not seeing improvements and those people who are--all participated.

Thanks!

Would you please consider including some data for a trip or two in the following thread, so we can see how your efficiency compares to mine, and hopefully to other people's who also aren't seeing improvement, as it compares to EV Trip Planner as a benchmark?

Comparing P85D Torque Sleep efficiency (versions .139 and .140) to EV Trip Planner

So far, using EV Trip Planner as a benchmark has been interesting, in that those people who have seen increases in efficiency are doing better than EV Trip Planner would predict, and my results have been worse than EV Trip Planner predicts. But to date, I am the only person who has posted who has not seen an improvement in efficiency. The thread would be more useful for everyone if more people--those of us not seeing improvements and those people who are--all participated.

I put my 241 mile trip on there and worked hard to get EV Trip Planner tuned to the same trip time and average temps. I saw a 10% improvement over EV Trip Planner in my P85D with .140 - Comparing P85D Torque Sleep efficiency (versions .139 and .140) to EV Trip Planner - Page 2

I am sure that all are aware, but please remember that it appears that it is important to turn on "range" mode to get the torque sleep improvements.

I put my 241 mile trip on there and worked hard to get EV Trip Planner tuned to the same trip time and average temps. I saw a 10% improvement over EV Trip Planner in my P85D with .140 - Comparing P85D Torque Sleep efficiency (versions .139 and .140) to EV Trip Planner - Page 2

I am sure that all are aware, but please remember that it appears that it is important to turn on "range" mode to get the torque sleep improvements.

Thanks very much, Cottonwood.

And on the note about turning on range mode, I was about to post about this, and this seems as good a place as any.

I spoke with Tesla tech support today, to alert them to the fact that I was not seeing the torque sleep efficiency improvements, and to see if they could pull my logs to see if torque sleep was actually working on my car. The person I spoke to was very knowledgeable on the subject, and read me some information on torque sleep that I had not heard or seen before. It may well be new, though the first couple of sentences sounded very similar to (and may have been word for word) some of what we've heard from Jerome Guillen on the topic. I asked if he could email it to me, so I could post it, and he checked, but he was not allowed to do that. I'd urge anyone interested to call and have it read to you.

The gist of it is this:

There are definitely significant differences in how torque sleep functions with range mode on vs. range mode off. While there are some efficiencies gained with range mode off, significantly more are gained with range mode on. Torque sleep benefits are not only for highway driving. An example was given of the vehicle stopped at a light, not requiring torque. What was read to me also said very clearly that the front engine was more efficient. There was also something about it being possible, in range mode, that under acceleration users may hear or feel something from the front engine. A three-letter abbreviation was used, that I'm failing to remember now, but I think it started with an H and ended with a V, and seemed to be a euphemism for any number of sounds, whining, etc.

My impression was that it is unlikely that a future firmware update is simply going to move all the torque sleep efficiencies now found in range mode into all modes. I think that for a good long time, and possibly permanently, to get all the benefits of torque sleep we will have to use range mode.

As soon as I hung up the phone I started writing the following e-mail message, which I have now sent:

Suggestion for battery pre-heating and charge-end scheduling sent to Tesla

I spoke with Tesla tech support today, to alert them to the fact that I was not seeing the torque sleep efficiency improvements, and to see if they could pull my logs to see if torque sleep was actually working on my car. The person I spoke to was very knowledgeable on the subject, and read me some information on torque sleep that I had not heard or seen before.

So, were they able to tell you anything on your particular car?

I will post details but here the base results from my orlando trip "fresh from the car browser while charging".

302 WH/mile @65 mph and 5-7 mph headwind

326 wh/mile @ 75-80 mph with 5-6 mph tailwind.

The key is indeed RANGE MODE.

Not yet. The logs did not show up immediately. I'm waiting to hear back.

Well, whereas I did not see improvement for the first few days after getting .140, I am definitely seeing range improvement now - both with Range Mode ON and OFF. In fact, I believe I am now about where I was with my P85+. Mild weather and no wind and I'm able to achieve very close to my Rated Miles at 65 MPH (around 300 Wh/mi).

Mike

Well, whereas I did not see improvement for the first few days after getting .140, I am definitely seeing range improvement now - both with Range Mode ON and OFF. In fact, I believe I am now about where I was with my P85+. Mild weather and no wind and I'm able to achieve very close to my Rated Miles at 65 MPH (around 300 Wh/mi).

Mike

That's certainly promising.

Actually it was your saying that you started seeing an improvement as soon as you reported that you were seeing no improvement that prompted me to call in today. I'm mainly kidding, but I really did think that perhaps there would be some evidence visible that somehow something failed to actually enable torque sleep, and that something could be done to then have it properly enabled. I didn't have anything to lose by calling, so I did.

I mentioned to the rep I spoke to that there seemed to be at least a few other forum members with .139 experiencing the same thing I was, and wondered if there was some chance that somehow some versions of .139 somehow failed to actually initiate torque sleep on some cars. He said he hadn't heard of anything like that happening, but that stranger things have happened in the past.

I am still waiting to hear back.

There was also something about it being possible, in range mode, that under acceleration users may hear or feel something from the front engine. A three-letter abbreviation was used, that I'm failing to remember now, but I think it started with an H and ended with a V, and seemed to be a euphemism for any number of sounds, whining, etc.

That TLA is NVH, which stands for Noise, Vibration and Harshness.

Noise, vibration, and harshness - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Actually it was your saying that you started seeing an improvement as soon as you reported that you were seeing no improvement that prompted me to call in today. I'm mainly kidding, but I really did think that perhaps there would be some evidence visible that somehow something failed to actually enable torque sleep, and that something could be done to then have it properly enabled. I didn't have anything to lose by calling, so I did.

Yeah, I honestly don't believe the two events are related but the coincidence is hard to ignore.

Maybe regen is more efficient. The more regen you demand out of one wheel the less efficient it is. Spread that same amount of regen to all 4 wheels and you get 4 wheels regening at a higher efficiency. Same amount of slowing but a larger part of that energy coming back into the pack.

I don't believe "number of wheels" "spreading regen" to be a differentiator at all.

For one thing, there's a single motor for each pair of wheels, so comparing 1 wheel to 4 doesn't make sense... for a single motor car the back pair of wheels drive the single motor (in regen mode) at a given speed, producing regen.

The front pair of wheels will do the same with the front motor.

As has been earlier noted, there may be some inefficiencies in the newer MOTORS that allow for increased regen ability, but that has nothing to do with the number of wheels driving them.

One could argue that with weight shift during deceleration, front wheels could provide more traction, and hence more regen under circumstances... but unless the rears were losing traction under the same circumstances, that argument doesn't really hold either.