Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P90D loan car - should I give it a blast?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tessie (90D) is in for her first service, and I have just jumped into a P90D loan car.

Very nice but this poses a major question!

Tessie has always seemed fast to me. I'm worried that if I really see how well the P90D accelerates, then Tessie might not seem so nippy afterwards.

On the other hand I am very curious.

What should I do ?

Tessie (90D) is in for her first service, and I have just jumped into a P90D loan car.

Very nice but this poses a major question!

Tessie has always seemed fast to me. I'm worried that if I really see how well the P90D accelerates, then Tessie might not seem so nippy afterwards.

On the other hand I am very curious.

What should I do ?

Tesla service should be worried that the loan car will be returned with an extra 17,000kms on the odometer.......#clockwisethistime.

Oh, FFS give it a decent crack.
Put a smile on your face, and give you a dream to dream....
But whatever you do: enjoy. The 90D is super fast, you've just got used to it. No ICE can compete in plain, day-to-day driving: in-gear acceleration: no turbos to spoil, no gears to drop; just whoosh!

Reactions: RichardMcN
I forget the how-to specifics, but you can select any drivetrain lower than the car you are driving through the UI.

In this case, you can set your loaner to behave like your 90D, and see no difference at all !

Although if it were me, I would find a nice appropriate spot and punch it a few times.

• Informative
Richard I would definitely do some 'test runs'...but where is that possible in Sydney?

You're in luck! Sydney Motor Sport Park - Eastern Creek - has a track day tomorrow. For $340 you can do some 'testing'.

Also interesting that Eastern Creek now has 2 x 3ph 32A HPWC's. Surely Tesla wouldn't mind you doing a few hot laps especially if you reviewed your experience given your extremely high quality Anticlockwise Adventure commentary & pics.

SMSP Track Day

• Informative
I cant believe you thought about this long enough to even ask the question.
Creep off, find a freeway on ramp, take it out of sports mode (into insane our Ludi). Come to a stop and then slam your foot to the floor. Don't even bother waiting for max battery power or the formal launch. Grin like mad, let your passengers retrieve their sunglasses from the parcel shelf. Take the next off ramp, then turn do it again down the other side of the freeway. Repeat until you run out of charge, the police stop you for a chat or a passenger calls uncle.
Then when you get home and only then, wonder have I ruined the 90D for myself. The answer will be no. The novelty of the launch does wear off, the 90D beats the pants of anything to 60kmh from the lights, the only place will miss it is the surge to overtake at highway speeds.

Hey great replies guys ! ! ! !

I did take it for some good bursts in Ludicrous mode and I'm glad I did!

The raw power is amazing and bordering on gut-wrenching. This particular car is black with black leather interior and pre-facelift nose - all of which really build the sensation.

I found the screen to switch to 90D performance @Jeeps17 which was a fun comparison.

No regrets. Looking forward to picking up Tessie - very capable and graceful just as she is!

Reactions: Xwing
The 70 I rented had too much power (no "P", no "D", no "L"). More power than I needed for most any driving condition so I have no idea why people worry about spending thousands of dollars on something they cant handle. Traction Control isnt going to guarantee you dont slide off the road when you boot "L" in the wet.

The 70 I rented had too much power (no "P", no "D", no "L"). More power than I needed for most any driving condition so I have no idea why people worry about spending thousands of dollars on something they cant handle. Traction Control isnt going to guarantee you dont slide off the road when you boot "L" in the wet.
I couldn't get the P85D to let go when I had one in the US June/July. When I returned home, mine was oh so slooow and easily let go as it is merely rear wheel drive (85).