Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P90DL delivery day turned out to be a non-delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'll keep this short since I'm still dealing with the fact I'm going to have to go through the entire waiting process again, but here goes.

1. Delivery was scheduled yesterday
2. DS sent a picture of it was it taken off the truck before being detailed - such a beauty!!!!
3. I didn't hear anything for a few hours
4. Received an update - the car was backed into a garbage can before being loaded onto the delivery truck
5. They orderd a new bumper, would paint, confirm no sensor damage, and have the car to me by midweek next week
6. I instead requested a new build from the factory
7. So, the wait of 6-8 weeks starts again

* the DS has been great before this and exceeded expectations during this situation. Unfortunate things do happen.

At the same time it seems based on your decision, a inventory P90DL was just created! All you high rollers out there, if you want to skip the line you might want to call your DS about this and ask about the low mileage car with "bumper damage" in AR. What was the VIN?

5. They orderd a new bumper, would paint, confirm no sensor damage, and have the car to me by midweek next week
I am curious. Did they offer to reduce price?

- - - Updated - - -

Bummer!

I wonder how many dealers of traditional cars would have just done the repair and delivered. I bet a lot.

Well... if one is wondering, one also has to wonder whether the OP would have been notified if the issue hadn't affected their delivery date? You have no choice but to notify the customer when they are expected to show up for the delivery. On the other hand, I also wonder if a different dealer/manufacturer would have offered to rebuild and car and whether the DS equivalent would have been so great about it :).

Would that not be 100% illegal? So you're right, most dealerships would have no problem with it. :D
I remember from another thread that as long as the damage is below some amount, then it's not illegal. In practical terms the car you are getting at worse might have some slight paint mismatch, but it would not show up on the car's record so there is no hit to value.

I remember from another thread that as long as the damage is below some amount, then it's not illegal. In practical terms the car you are getting at worse might have some slight paint mismatch, but it would not show up on the car's record so there is no hit to value.

From your comment I can't tell if you think the OP should have requested a new car or not. The part about a "slight paint mismatch" seems to indicate maybe Tesla should have forced the car on him?? Just guessing.

My two cents - can't imagine anyone paying $100k plus for a brand new car and accepting a "slight paint mismatch" and a repaired vehicle. The OP made the only possible call. Tesla seems to be handling this right (omitting the damage being done in the first place of course). They might throw in an option on the new one for making the OP wait another two months - maybe free pano roof or some other option that he/she may not have ordered.

Best of Luck with the new one! Hope you get it undamaged and in good shape!

- - - Updated - - -

Bummer!

I wonder how many dealers of traditional cars would have just done the repair and delivered. I bet a lot.

100% most likely. 95% at a minimum.

From your comment I can't tell if you think the OP should have requested a new car or not. The part about a "slight paint mismatch" seems to indicate maybe Tesla should have forced the car on him?? Just guessing.

My two cents - can't imagine anyone paying $100k plus for a brand new car and accepting a "slight paint mismatch" and a repaired vehicle. The OP made the only possible call. Tesla seems to be handling this right (omitting the damage being done in the first place of course). They might throw in an option on the new one for making the OP wait another two months - maybe free pano roof or some other option that he/she may not have ordered.

Best of Luck with the new one! Hope you get it undamaged and in good shape!
Given the OP knew about it, it is totally his call. There are people who do notice or would be completely bothered knowing they are getting a car that was previously repaired/had parts replaced (even if it would be completely unnoticeable if they weren't told about it beforehand). There are those who would just take the car as long as it is not on the record and it was repaired to their satisfaction. Totally up to the individual.

As you mention however, most dealers would not mention it. It's also possible for similar damage to happen at the factory and have repairs without the owner knowing.

Everyone wants to have a perfect car, and deserves to have one, especially at Tesla prices. But one thing to remember: I can tell you for a fact that the kinds of damages being discussed here sometimes occur at the factory itself, and are fixed in the Repair shop. The difference can be that the factory is much more skilled at doing the repair, so usually nothing is visible to the customer. It's interesting that Tesla customers have visibility into repairs done during shipping to the delivery point; so they get the chance to obsess and worry about them. Most car companies take care of these things and the person buying the car knows nothing about them (unless the repair was incompetent).

When I asked for a new order the DS didn't pushback and simoly said he would support my decision. Understanding that many cars are damaged in transit and fixed at the dealer/factory. It's a hard pill to swallow when it's a $143K car - especially when it was the damage from the dumpster was very near the sensors in the back. Anytime autopilot didn't perform as expected I would blame it on the pre-delivery accident. Also, to my knowledge dealers aren't required to report damage to a vehicle unless it's over 20% of the value of the car.

I'm expecting my P90DL in 7 days. Fortunately I live in the South Bay and I'm picking it up from the factory. You made the right decision for the right reason, as tough as it is. I know how excited I am right now so I can only imagine the disappointment. Stay strong, it will still be worth it.