Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint problem or super birds?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Clearcoat issues??

I got my Tesla on March 10th. At the time it looked perfect (hood etc). Two days ago I came out to a 'fresh' bird poop which i promptly rinsed off. That evening I did a thorough wash using my "standard" washing mitt and applied light pressure to ensure that any residual was removed. The next day i noticed swirls/slight scratches in the same general area as if the clearcoat had been removed. I think my clearcoat was either damaged or not sufficient applied since i've never had this happen on either my black or white Audis. Anyone have any thoughts. I suspect I'll have to head into a service shop and have them figure something out.

I got my Tesla on March 10th. At the time it looked perfect (hood etc). Two days ago I came out to a 'fresh' bird poop which i promptly rinsed off. That evening I did a thorough wash using my "standard" washing mitt and applied light pressure to ensure that any residual was removed. The next day i noticed swirls/slight scratches in the same general area as if the clearcoat had been removed. I think my clearcoat was either damaged or not sufficient applied since i've never had this happen on either my black or white Audis. Anyone have any thoughts. I suspect I'll have to head into a service shop and have them figure something out.

While not knowing completely the situation, the scratches (really?) and swirls might have been from your washing technique. Did you rinse thoroughly before? Did you foam up the car? Two bucket method wash using wool or microfiber mitt? Was the cuff of the mitt exposed or do you routinely tuck it in the mitt itself?

Again, I don't know the full story, but many swirls and scratches are from washing technique.

I'd thoroughly wash the entire car, clay, IPA treat, polish the affected area(s) and apply a good sealant or opti-coat 2.0. A lot of people here seem to like Glare, but it doesn't have the best reputation in the detailing world as I've come to learn.

While not knowing completely the situation, the scratches (really?) and swirls might have been from your washing technique. Did you rinse thoroughly before? Did you foam up the car? Two bucket method wash using wool or microfiber mitt? Was the cuff of the mitt exposed or do you routinely tuck it in the mitt itself?

Again, I don't know the full story, but many swirls and scratches are from washing technique.

I'd thoroughly wash the entire car, clay, IPA treat, polish the affected area(s) and apply a good sealant or opti-coat 2.0. A lot of people here seem to like Glare, but it doesn't have the best reputation in the detailing world as I've come to learn.

Mark: thanks for the input. I can assure you this not a 'washing-technique'. I've used the identical sponge (on my both Audi, and a titanium Silver BMW without issue). It looks like the acidity of bird poop, not unlike other environmental changes, is getting worse. I have put a double coat of Megular's NXT 2.0 but will try to do as you suggest with clay, etc. i assume IPA is isopropyl alcohol. Followed by opti-coat 2.0 or similar.

Thanks.

Brett

I'm convinced the birds around here crap out acid. I have not (yet) had this happen to my new Model S, but my previous black Cadillac CTS had several of these etched out marks on the paint even though I cleaned off the droppings asap. (Once I came out from a restaurant and found droppings. Went back in and got some water and napkins to remove, but it had already etched the paint). It was particularly noticeable under certain types of light, like HPS lights in parking garages. Very disheartening, but I don't know what can be done. I always keep my cars waxed, but it didn't seem to help.
The white component of bird poop is uric acid. That is why guano is such a good fertiliser - almost pure nitrogen.

Mark: thanks for the input. I can assure you this not a 'washing-technique'. I've used the identical sponge (on my both Audi, and a titanium Silver BMW without issue). It looks like the acidity of bird poop, not unlike other environmental changes, is getting worse. I have put a double coat of Megular's NXT 2.0 but will try to do as you suggest with clay, etc. i assume IPA is isopropyl alcohol. Followed by opti-coat 2.0 or similar.

I think these bird droppings are notorious for their below surface defects, so I don't think wax is going to help much.

Like I said, wash it thoroughly, apply some iron x, clay it and think about polishing it. Start with a mild polish and progressively go more coarse if needed. If you can't even it out, try a glaze which will do some filling. Otherwise, if the polishing does even it out, then use eraser pro or an IPA and then seal/wax/or opti coat.

Sent via Tapatalk.

I'm dealing with the same problem on my blue model s. I noticed dried bird dropping on it, took it straight to the car wash, and the paint now seems to be damaged.

Bird droppings have never been a problem on my other cars.

Did you get a resolution to the problem?

I've noticed that the spots that showed previously from this are now harder to see. Not sure that I have an explaination but............

I've actually been thinking the same thing lately. I had several on mine. Tesla tried to polish them out but some seemed to come back (and I seemed to keep finding new ones). However, lately I just haven't noticed them. Either I'm getting used to them or they've been disappearing.

I almost wonder if temperature or humidity somehow affects them. Still, that's probably just coincidental, but I'm just worried they may come back in the fall. Still, fingers crossed that they just go away with normal washing.

I'm pretty sure this is not specifically related to super-birds or Tesla paint.
I once took home a shared company car, you know the type not assigned to anyone in particular.
Could hardly see out of it for vinyl cloud so decided to wash it over the week-end as I would be spending plenty of time in it the next week.
It had plenty of bird droppings that had been left for week\months to sit.
When I washed it the clear-coat and color layer came away with one of the bird droppings revealing the grey undercoat.
So never ignore bird droppings on any car, be it a Tesla Model S or Australian Ford Falcon.
P.S. The Falcon was green too.

This is amusing to me. I've owned black cars, grey cars and silver cars. I've never, ever cleaned bird doo off when it happens. I just wait for my next wash. Sometimes that means having spots of bird poop on the car for a week or more. I've never once had a paint problem, ever. How can bird poo remove paint from a vehicle? I can understand that it could take some surface wax or polymers with it, but to actually remove paint or other material that was physically bonded to the body panel? I don't believe it.

I had two dime-sized spots from bird crap that left the haze in the clearcoat as described in this thread which remained after washing the car. However, the spots actually went away on their own in a few days - I can't even see any trace. I have a Model S in Signature Red. I used to own a 2006 BMW Z4 (Space Grey), and the same thing would occur with bird poop leaving what looked like damaged clearcoat that disappeared on its own after a few days. I am stumped as to why this happens, but it's a problem that seems to go away if you ignore it.

I bet the bird's diet plays a large role. Also, their "poop" is mixed with "pee", as uric acid and urate crystals. These can damage the paint and possibly certain types of coating, though I can't say which. I also don't know if certain birds make different uric acid concentration or if its strictly diet.