Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Palladium Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think the FWD on the MX will ever go away. They are integral to the design and would require a complete re-engineering for them to change them out, plus retesting and certification. Not going to happen IMHO.

You mean like a Model Y?

I love them as much as anyone, and think they’re sentimental. But I don’t think this is a valid argument. If they can make a Model Y 10% larger than a Model 3 easily; they can make a Model X off a 10% larger than a Model S and without the FwD; easily if they really wanted to.

You mean like a Model Y?

I love them as much as anyone, and think they’re sentimental. But I don’t think this is a valid argument. If they can make a Model Y 10% larger than a Model 3 easily; they can make a Model X off a 10% larger than a Model S and without the FwD; easily if they really wanted to.
You're missing the point. While it is doable it will be very costly. You cannot just remove what is there and replace it with something else. The entire car is an engineered system and all the aspects have to be dealt with in whole. So when you make a moderate (major?) change to the design the entire car must be engineered and tested again.

You're missing the point. While it is doable it will be very costly. You cannot just remove what is there and replace it with something else. The entire car is an engineered system and all the aspects have to be dealt with in whole. So when you make a moderate (major?) change to the design the entire car must be engineered and tested again.

Manufacturers do it all the time. They’ve had to retest the car every time the battery pack changed. To your point, a heavier battery pack changes the engineering design and safety of the car.

It’s the reason those P90D to P100D upgrades required the seats the be upgraded to, because that was the tested configuration. I’m not missing the point of requiring re-engineering, recertification, and retesting. It costs millions to do so. Probably prohibitive if that’s the only change you wanted. But I’m saying that it isn’t really a limiting factor if they planned it along side a major revamp as the car would have to be tested anyway.