Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Palladium Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I’m reading into Elon’s brain and from what he said tonight and the past. All Tesla’s will be cheep, however FSD will be the defining factor. He keeps claiming that FSD will be $100,000 per car. If the Model X costs $70K without FSD, it will cost $170,000. If they can lower the 3 & Y, the S&X can too.
Elon wants to reduce the prices. This is from his call yesterday:
Elon Musk: “The thing that bugs me the most is that our cars are not affordable"

You can read more here: Elon wants lower prices

Last edited:
The Model S and X have already been reduced significantly. I bought my 100D in 2018 for $110k. Now the same (better actually) vehicle is $86k. I could see that dropping a few thousand more, but I have my doubts they could make it profitably at $60k. Especially if they are sinking a ton of money into developing their own new battery tech - they will need to pay that back somehow.

Looking at the numbers, Tesla delivered about 10,000 Model S + X in Q2. If we assume an average sale price of $90k that's about $900M of revenue from the Model S and X each quarter. With a roughly 25% gross margin they're making about $225M in profit each quarter off the model S + X. If they were to drop the starting price by 25% to $60k, that would eat up their entire gross profit margin. Not only that, it would put the entire company into the red since they only made $100M in profit last quarter. Unless they have some breakthrough that significantly reduces production costs, it's just not going to happen.

I think I can live with the binnacle screen and landscape screen or even one screen. Can live with one slit air vent. Can live with real doors instead of FW doors. But I strongly suspect they will go to the stalks of the 3/y. From reading of their owners it would absolutely suck to have to use center screen to change wipers right at the moment when you need all your attention on the road. Also like separate stalk for cruise and autopilot. Those aren't luxury items, those are safe operation choices.

Reactions: BulldogsRus
What do y'all think about the rumored palladium MX? Would you upgrade from your current MX?

If it’s not a mild refresh, then this one might finally get me to upgrade. There’s got to be enough there for me to give up my free premium connectivity and free supercharging. It’s got to be a AP2 vs non-AP type of deal. (Some might argue AP1 was a leap, but that ended up being a short stepping stone to AP2)

So far, I can most of what the new ones get. What I can’t...doesn’t seem worth the extra $40,000 yet.

If it’s not a mild refresh, then this one might finally get me to upgrade. There’s got to be enough there for me to give up my free premium connectivity and free supercharging. It’s got to be a AP2 vs non-AP type of deal. (Some might argue AP1 was a leap, but that ended up being a short stepping stone to AP2)

So far, I can most of what the new ones get. What I can’t...doesn’t seem worth the extra $40,000 yet.

Agreed. Especially now that you can upgrade MCU1>2 and AP2>3. I want to see - new battery pack with more range/better efficiency, updated interior (steering wheel, screen setup), heat pump, increased interior space (more second row leg room).

Six seater x needs arm rests or some kind of center console. 5/7 seater bench needs fold down portion of center seat for arm rest and/or cup holders.

6-seat already has a center console option.

Nope, they removed that option a while ago. I don't want a center console in my six seater anyway (and neither did most people, apparently) but I do want interior, foldable arm rests for the middle seats. It baffles me that Tesla does not offer these since it's such a basic amenity that even a Honda Odyssey offers. It would also be nice if they offered a foldable armrest in the middle row for the 5 and 7 seat options. Would make the middle feel much more luxurious.

Nope, they removed that option a while ago. I don't want a center console in my six seater (neither did most people, apparently) but I do want interior, foldable arm rests for the middle seats. It baffles me that Tesla does not offer these since it's such a basic amenity that even a Honda Odyssey offers.

Last I heard you can order it off menu. SC will install it.

Agreed. Especially now that you can upgrade MCU1>2 and AP2>3. I want to see - new battery pack with more range/better efficiency, updated interior (steering wheel, screen setup), heat pump, increased interior space (more second row leg room).

Not to be that guy, but your basically describing the Model Y. If Tesla is going to keep the Model X and S in production it needs to be another "ground up, mind blowing, cybertruck reveal" type of feeling. Otherwise there will be no difference. I believe that this is the end of the Model S & X as it has been stated by Elon that the Model S&X are just sentimental vehicles produced in low volume. The Model 3 & Y are key to Tesla's future. Elon does not care about us. (See below) he does not care if he sells only 1. We need to show him that he's wrong. The Model X is KING and will always be.

per Elon on 10/26/19. ""I mean, they're very expensive, made in low volume," "To be totally frank, we're continuing to make them more for sentimental reasons than anything else. They're really of minor importance to the future."

I think I can live with the binnacle screen and landscape screen or even one screen. Can live with one slit air vent. Can live with real doors instead of FW doors. But I strongly suspect they will go to the stalks of the 3/y. From reading of their owners it would absolutely suck to have to use center screen to change wipers right at the moment when you need all your attention on the road. Also like separate stalk for cruise and autopilot. Those aren't luxury items, those are safe operation choices.

We have not had any really issues with the wipers on the 3. The auto setting is very good. Probably better than humans would be.

Not to be that guy, but your basically describing the Model Y. If Tesla is going to keep the Model X and S in production it needs to be another "ground up, mind blowing, cybertruck reveal" type of feeling. Otherwise there will be no difference. I believe that this is the end of the Model S & X as it has been stated by Elon that the Model S&X are just sentimental vehicles produced in low volume. The Model 3 & Y are key to Tesla's future. Elon does not care about us. (See below) he does not care if he sells only 1. We need to show him that he's wrong. The Model X is KING and will always be.

per Elon on 10/26/19. ""I mean, they're very expensive, made in low volume," "To be totally frank, we're continuing to make them more for sentimental reasons than anything else. They're really of minor importance to the future."

OMG. My eyes! That yellow...

In fairness, sentiments can mean quite a bit. The Porsche 911 is a sentimental car with a sentimental engine layout. Some (many) argue the Cayman is superior; yet the 911 remains as the company flagship and automotive icon.

I love the Y and plan to get one, but its not in the same size class as the X. The Y is not capable of transporting someone comfortably in the 3rd row. The X also has more storage than the Y.

For folks that need a large SUV and a 3rd row, the Y is not the solution.

Reactions: cusetownusa
Nope, they removed that option a while ago. I don't want a center console in my six seater anyway (and neither did most people, apparently) but I do want interior, foldable arm rests for the middle seats. It baffles me that Tesla does not offer these since it's such a basic amenity that even a Honda Odyssey offers. It would also be nice if they offered a foldable armrest in the middle row for the 5 and 7 seat options. Would make the middle feel much more luxurious.
What I would like to see also is somewhat to allow the 2nd row to be adjusted side to side. While I would rarely move it I would like to move them inboard about 4".

I love the Y and plan to get one, but its not in the same size class as the X. The Y is not capable of transporting someone comfortably in the 3rd row. The X also has more storage than the Y.

For folks that need a large SUV and a 3rd row, the Y is not the solution.

There is a rumor that Tesla is redoing the 3rd row on the Y. Apparently the leaked image a while back, people complained it was too small. The 7 seater for next year may get redesigned.

Reactions: andrewdtran
But I strongly suspect they will go to the stalks of the 3/y. From reading of their owners it would absolutely suck to have to use center screen to change wipers right at the moment when you need all your attention on the road. Also like separate stalk for cruise and autopilot. Those aren't luxury items, those are safe operation choices.
There is a little-mentioned stalk on the model 3 for the windshield wipers. Same stalk location as in the model X, and pushing the end of it squirts wiper fluid and causes several swipes of the wipers. It also brings up the wiper menu on the screen, so if someone wanted to take it out of auto mode, that readily presents itself. I have sometimes used the stalk squirt option if the auto wipers didn’t start as soon as I would have liked when the rain started. I have never needed the screen options to make other adjustments.

I can deal with the different control options for cruise/autopilot on either the model X or the model 3, but I prefer the model 3 implementation. On the model X, I am forever doing a double-take to make sure my hand is on the correct stalk. I’m sure Tesla has the data of how often we flash our high beams right before we actuate autopilot...... And adjusting the speed on the model 3 is very smooth as my thumb can do it without having to move my hand at all. It is very naturally placed.

There is a little-mentioned stalk on the model 3 for the windshield wipers. Same stalk location as in the model X, and pushing the end of it squirts wiper fluid and causes several swipes of the wipers. It also brings up the wiper menu on the screen, so if someone wanted to take it out of auto mode, that readily presents itself. I have sometimes used the stalk squirt option if the auto wipers didn’t start as soon as I would have liked when the rain started. I have never needed the screen options to make other adjustments.

I can deal with the different control options for cruise/autopilot on either the model X or the model 3, but I prefer the model 3 implementation. On the model X, I am forever doing a double-take to make sure my hand is on the correct stalk. I’m sure Tesla has the data of how often we flash our high beams right before we actuate autopilot...... And adjusting the speed on the model 3 is very smooth as my thumb can do it without having to move my hand at all. It is very naturally placed.

Subjectivity aside on the preference of location, I think this supports them moving to a single muscle memory method. As it is already, I hate going from car to car. If you're a multiple Tesla household you could potentially have muscle memory on a non-AP car, AP1/2 car, and then a M3/Y car. It's all minor but mildly frustrating at the same time.

It'll be easier to just use one common method to make the transitions for the customer easier. I'm sure there's something in there about simplicity of parts and reduction in costs as well...

Reactions: Bigriver