Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Park Assist just ruined my front bumper - cut too short!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That was the forward collision warning. Which does not seem to be working properly (lots of false negatives). Make sure you do not have your "forward collision warning" setting to "early." Although it is not intuitive this can cause your car to brake suddenly and unexpectedly.

Be very careful and keep your foot on the gas as if you were driving. The system does not work like you think it should.

46k on my car with FCW on 'early' the whole time. I've had 2 false alerts by the fcw system. Neither time did it brake. Just flashed and beeped at me, and I overrode it with the go pedal.

Reactions: pchilds
That was the forward collision warning. Which does not seem to be working properly (lots of false negatives). Make sure you do not have your "forward collision warning" setting to "early." Although it is not intuitive this can cause your car to brake suddenly and unexpectedly.
I have collision warning set to default. I only recall one incident where brakes were applied and it was on the freeway. When this happened it was when a car in the adjacent lane was turning along with me during a curve. I notice when it applied the brakes that the autopilot screen car had slightly moved into my lane but in reality the car was in it's own lane.

...nothing works...

Manual operations do work each and every time!

However, Autopilot related features are a work in progress which are not guaranteed. I don't think this is unique to Tesla. If other brands use radar, they would have the same problems of struggling with radar's limitations as Tesla does.

Take Smart cruise for example, it didn't work very well in the beginning (prior to Tesla's time.) It would only have warnings and after paying extra money for that features, lots of drivers chose to turn those alarms off because they were just so unreliable.

It got better and then it could brake to a slower speed but it could not stop, so you could rear end a car in front if you are not on pins and needles all the time to watch it like a hawk.

Then, nowadays, it can even brake to a complete stop in a stop-and-go traffic.

And that's what where are are now, but read your manuals. Any brands' manual would have a disclaimer that it might not work all the time in all situations so use it at your own perils.

Tesla is not perfect but comparing to other brands, Tesla is much better.

Reactions: pchilds
Dude...??? Seriously???... "It seems Tesla can put some bad/non-functional parts in your car when it is built and not catch it at QA time. Thus, you must assume your car is defective until proven otherwise for your own safety and investment"...

I've read some crazy things on this forum during the years I've been a member but that one just might take the cake...

Jeff

Except it happened to me. I am glad you are having a good experience. I have never claimed you were making it up.

I am simply describing my experience. I am not sure why you feel the need to discredit it?

Except it happened to me. I am glad you are having a good experience. I have never claimed you were making it up.

I am simply describing my experience. I am not sure why you feel the need to discredit it?

Um... Because what you are saying is complete and total BS. It's just ridiculous for you to make such a claim. Seriously, why would you post something like that in the first place? It's so incredibly irresponsible it's difficult to wrap ones head around such a statement.

Jeff

• Funny
Reactions: Zybd1201
So that choice is offered as a trap? Are they claiming/admitting they never should have offered that choice to begin with?

I am extremely hesitant to share emails publicly because I don't think it is the intent of the person sending the email to be posting on a public forum and they deserve that respect.

However, they have officially responded to my incidents stating that setting the forward collision warning to early was the 'cause' and makes the FCW system 'extremely sensitive' and they returned the car to me with the setting on 'late' as the resolution.

No need to believe me if you don't want to. :)

Hey, I wasn't doubting you. I was just trying to figure out how to interpret Tesla's response to you. Where's the sincere-not-facetious anti-smiley emoticon when you need it?

No worries. It was more of a general "you" not aimed at anyone specifically.

I understand there are people who have great cars and great experiences. It makes it hard for them to believe that I really have not had a good experience at all.

I understand that and it is ok.