Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Party at Picnic Creek - 2016 - Sunday, July 31st

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Music update: Looks like we'll have the same band as before for during the day (which I know a lot of you enjoyed, since everyone stayed til late!). But a special treat looks like in store for the evening if you like Irish music ...

Kevin Burke, a world-renowned fiddler now based in the PNW (Ireland named him a national treasure & put him on postage stamp!) will likely be here that evening to put on a house concert. What's a house concert? Musicians are playing at private homes, in exchange the folks attending all donate a small amount towards the musician - 100% goes in their pocket. It's a great deal for everyone. A beautiful evening under the stars, enjoying really good music.

So if you sign up for the picnic when registration opens, consider staying for the evening to hear Kevin and his mates. He's phenomenal.

Here's a little about him, including video: Gradam Ceoil TG4 | Gradam Ceoil TG4 honours the musical heroes of the modern age

Bonnie, when you posted earlier about having a world-famous fiddler at the event, Kevin Burke's name immediately came to mind... because I know him as THE finest Irish fiddler in the world. Imagine my surprise when I came across this post a few minutes later and you named him! He's actually going to be there?! All I can say is WOW... folks unfamiliar with him have NO IDEA what a treat they're in store for! I've had the privilege of hearing him play a few times over the years, but to actually be able to see him perform in the intimate setting of a house concert?! Wow. Seriously, although I know one should say he's "arguably" the best Irish fiddler on the planet -- there is no contest. :)

Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Bonnie, when you posted earlier about having a world-famous fiddler at the event, Kevin Burke's name immediately came to mind... because I know him as THE finest Irish fiddler in the world. Imagine my surprise when I came across this post a few minutes later and you named him! He's actually going to be there?! All I can say is WOW... folks unfamiliar with him have NO IDEA what a treat they're in store for! I've had the privilege of hearing him play a few times over the years, but to actually be able to see him perform in the intimate setting of a house concert?! Wow. Seriously, although I know one should say he's "arguably" the best Irish fiddler on the planet -- there is no contest. :)

:) Yep, Kevin will be here. Huge treat! Glad you know of him.

Kevin just sent me his bio & photo (will be on the event website when it goes live), but thought I'd share here now. There will be a separate charge for those staying for Kevin's house concert the night of the 31st of $20/head. 100% goes to Kevin.

The Naked Fiddle - Virtuoso Irish fiddler Kevin Burke

Kevin Burke has been called Ireland’s most lyrical fiddler. At the forefront of this music for over 30 years, from The Bothy Band to Patrick Street and Celtic Fiddle Festival, he is known for his highly individual style-vibrant, expressive, relaxed, and at times humorous. Burke has received the NEA’s National Heritage Fellowship in the US, and in Ireland the prestigious Gradam Ceoil award, both acknowledging him as a master of the tradition.

Whether solo or accompanied, Kevin Burke is an immensely engaging performer. Although he has spent much of his life playing in a group context, he has never lost his love for solo fiddle music. “With the great popularity of various groups over the last 25 years or so, many people have forgotten that this kind of music used to be played mainly solo. The bands, groups and accompanists are a relatively recent development… so I thought it would be interesting to let people hear the ‘naked’ fiddle once more.” - Kevin Burke

“Lyric, fluid and precisely as tricky as he needs to be…probably the greatest Irish fiddler living.” The Village Voice

“Kevin Burke plays the fiddle so smoothly, with such buoyancy, and with such relaxed showmanship, that even a large concert hall becomes intimate.” The New Yorker

“A lyrical player of emotional electricity.” The Washington Post​

www.kevinburke.com

burke_press2010.jpg

Kevin just sent me his bio & photo (will be on the event website when it goes live), but thought I'd share here now. There will be a separate charge for those staying for Kevin's house concert the night of the 31st of $20/head. 100% goes to Kevin.

The Naked Fiddle - Virtuoso Irish fiddler Kevin Burke

Kevin Burke has been called Ireland’s most lyrical fiddler. At the forefront of this music for over 30 years, from The Bothy Band to Patrick Street and Celtic Fiddle Festival, he is known for his highly individual style-vibrant, expressive, relaxed, and at times humorous. Burke has received the NEA’s National Heritage Fellowship in the US, and in Ireland the prestigious Gradam Ceoil award, both acknowledging him as a master of the tradition.

Whether solo or accompanied, Kevin Burke is an immensely engaging performer. Although he has spent much of his life playing in a group context, he has never lost his love for solo fiddle music. “With the great popularity of various groups over the last 25 years or so, many people have forgotten that this kind of music used to be played mainly solo. The bands, groups and accompanists are a relatively recent development… so I thought it would be interesting to let people hear the ‘naked’ fiddle once more.” - Kevin Burke

“Lyric, fluid and precisely as tricky as he needs to be…probably the greatest Irish fiddler living.” The Village Voice

“Kevin Burke plays the fiddle so smoothly, with such buoyancy, and with such relaxed showmanship, that even a large concert hall becomes intimate.” The New Yorker

“A lyrical player of emotional electricity.” The Washington Post​

www.kevinburke.com

View attachment 179868
Should be wonderful, Bonnie. Looking forward to it.

Website registration for Party at Picnic Creek will be 'soonish'. But I can still supply some details...

This is a "NorCal-Reno Tesla Owners Club" event (not me!), but it will be here at my place. The day AFTER (as in August 1st), I will have people helping to pack the house (no, not looking for volunteers :) ), so please PLEASE be mindful of leaving trash around, etc. (I'm moving up to the Pacific NorthWest.)

Also, as much as I have appreciated small gifts in the past (wine, choc, flowers, etc.) please do NOT bring any gifts! I'm packing. No more stuff! :)

We'll be looking for a few volunteers to head up different committees - more on that to come from @lodenthal and @omarsultan .

Food. Honestly, too many people with too many diet requests. Soooo, we've decided that we'll go with a 100% vegan mexican buffet that gets really high reviews in this area. (Things like Flying Pig Carnitas Enchiladas, I Can't Believe It's Not Chicken Enchiladas, Potato-Corn-Green Chile Enchiladas, Sweet Potato-Walnut Tamales will be on the menu.) Carnivore? No problem! We'll have a grill available and you're welcome to grill whatever you decide to bring along.

Non alcoholic beverages will be provided. Alcohol is on you.

Some details -

Party at Picnic Creek -- Sunday, July 31st from 2pm to 6ishpm. Games, music (same band as before), food, electric bikes (thanks to a sponsor), raffle prizes like Stack Lighting starter kits (thanks to another sponsor), etc. Labyrinth to walk earlier in the day.

House Concert (evening) -- A separate charge of $20/person will be made for those wanting to stay into the evening for the Kevin Burke house concert. 100% of the fee goes to Kevin.​

Watch for a link to registration in the coming week.

Thanks all!

Reactions: Saxena
'in' the coming week as in Su-Sa? ;)
We will be staying at the Flower Farm looking forward to the 'goodbye party' ...such a neat place you have, I imagine wherever you go it will be/become amazing
I'm hoping shortly! The caterer is a bit difficult to lock down & that will impact the price/person.

The day after the party, first thing Monday morning, packing begins. I think I've lost my mind, but this place deserves a great send off. :)

It all looks like great fun! Sorry we will miss it all this year. Too much going on with my aquatic EV this year...

Bonnie, have a great one, as always!

I'm moving closer to your area of the world in the week following the party - White Salmon, WA to be exact. I'm sure we'll cross paths more often, since I'll be up in Seattle on a regular basis.

Registered. Looking forward to it.

Just saying the TMC handle for the 2nd and any following tickets should be optional. There are some of us with significant others who cannot understand why we spend so much time on this forum. :)

Oh sorry! I meant to make that optional. I'll fix that right now.

If you want me to edit yours out, just send me a note. :)