Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PD3- VS PD3+ Speed/Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On the road, almost certainly won't be able to tell the difference, if the same P4S (but different apect ratio) are fitted to both. The 20s may feel slightly more 'stiff', which isn't an advantage on the road.

The bigger brakes will help with repeated higher speed stops, but probably not relevant to the road for 99.9% of users.

You get the spoiler though, on the P3D+ which gives you at least 20mph better top-speed, and extra 0.5G cornering and 20% more efficiency.

There's a new youtube video (Engineer Explained) come out today claimed that performance with 18" wheel is faster 0-60 than 20".

A lighter wheel/tyre, will be quicker than a heavier wheel/tyre. That's just physics, not debatable. (assuming the same type compound/construction etc)

An After-market, light 18" wheel will probably be lighter (and quicker) than the OEM 20" wheel. So an 18" wheel CAN BE (but not necessarily so) quicker than a 20" wheel.

A Cheap, Heavy, Weak 18Inch wheel, can be slower than a Expensive, Light, Strong 20inch wheel. Need to compare apples to apples.

Not many 18 inch wheels will fit on a P3D+ due to brake size.

Now start adding in cornering/handling/confidence/wet/dry. And the answer isn't so straightforward.

On the road, almost certainly won't be able to tell the difference, if the same P4S (but different apect ratio) are fitted to both. The 20s may feel slightly more 'stiff', which isn't an advantage on the road.

You get the spoiler though, on the P3D+ which gives you at least 20mph better top-speed, and extra 0.5G cornering and 20% more efficiency.
. LOL - Hope you meant that to be sarcastic.

There is no difference in top speed, difference in cornering is due to tires, and efficiency is lower on the P3D+ due to extra weight.

. LOL - Hope you meant that to be sarcastic.

There is no difference in top speed, difference in cornering is due to tires, and efficiency is lower on the P3D+ due to extra weight.

nathan.gif

P3D- speed limited to 145.View attachment 453194

Dunno source of your chart, but it's demonstrably wrong given P3D- comes with track mode, so I wouldn't expect the top speed thing to be reliable info either.

(also the AWD is 4.4 on Teslas site, not 4.5 as your chart claims... though it's actually 4.0 if you actually measure it the same way Tesla measures the P- which dishonestly they don't do by default)

Dunno source of your chart, but it's demonstrably wrong given P3D- comes with track mode, so I wouldn't expect the top speed thing to be reliable info either.

(also the AWD is 4.4 on Teslas site, not 4.5 as your chart claims... though it's actually 4.0 if you actually measure it the same way Tesla measures the P- which dishonestly they don't do by default)
I agree about the track mode, but the difference in top speed between the P3D- and a P3D+ with a spoiler has been demonstrated by Bjorn Nyland. I'll link a video below. The TL;DW version is that he proved the top speed on his P3D with no spoiler on the Autobahn in Germany, then went to a SC to have his spoiler installed. The SC then updated his car's firmware for the newer high speed. He then went back on the Autobahn and proved the higher unlocked top speed. The speeds on the chart posted above match what Bjorn got on both runs.

The top speed for P3D Stealth has been proven to be 162 by multiple owners here including myself.

What is going on with + & - !? Why can't they be called what they are? Performance, P stealth, AWD, RWD, standard & long range.

Because that's a ton of extra characters to convey literally the same information.

P3D- tells you the same thing as Performance Model 3 minus the Performance Upgrade Package without wasting a much larger % of your life typing that every time. Ditto P3D+ and AWD. Range don't enter into those at all since nothing but LR exists for any of em.

RWD is the only place LR/MR/SR/SR+ matters.