Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pedestrian Warning System (PWS) Retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there any way to tell if my M3 has the wiring harness for the speaker & therefore could be retro fitted?

Delivery was April 2020, so I’m guessing production was late 2019?
AFAIK all UK spec Model 3 have the wiring harness. Mine was August 2019 and it's there. If you remove the push studs in front on the drivers front wheel you can look in and see it.

AFAIK all UK spec Model 3 have the wiring harness. Mine was August 2019 and it's there. If you remove the push studs in front on the drivers front wheel you can look in and see it.

Ah ok, I’ll have a look at that. Do Tesla UK sell the speaker separately? Or any other suppliers on the UK? I’ve arrange a service request to ask about a retrofit, but from others posting here, it doesn’t look like they do it in the UK yet.

Ah ok, I’ll have a look at that. Do Tesla UK sell the speaker separately? Or any other suppliers on the UK? I’ve arrange a service request to ask about a retrofit, but from others posting here, it doesn’t look like they do it in the UK yet.

Someone in here did manage to get hold of and fit a speaker, but it only worked immediately after rebooting the car then would stop again. Speculation was that the car detected and activated it on boot, then the mothership deactivated it because it wasn't supposed to be there.

I'm not sure it's worth the effort until Tesla offer it officially since it seems that they have to enable it.

Reactions: Durzel
Thank goodness. Can you imagine what it would be like if everyone was able to choose their preferred novelty as a car horn. Urgghh
Would like to have this fitted, particularly for any blind people walking close by. Has anyone taken theirs out?
Put in a service request for Tesla but they keep cancelling as they say the part isn't available separately over here yet.

Would like to have this fitted, particularly for any blind people walking close by.

Meantime bear in mind that blind people will be in the same boat as anyone else who is not looking in your direction. In fact most blind people pay more attention to the quieter noises in their immediate environment so are probably more likely to notice your car than the average sighted person. You will be driving and will see anybody in front of your vehicle. If they need a warning just lower your window and call out to them. Since owning my car I have never yet come anywhere near putting a pedestrian in danger due to the quietness at low speeds. I have had people unaware that I was behind them when they were walking across a car park but I've had that in an ICE car too. (Rather than a constant low speed sound I think EVs would be better with the equivalent of a cycle bell that you ping on the few occasions when you want to alert a pedestrian to your presence.)

Reactions: Beady3647 and Irata
Meantime bear in mind that blind people will be in the same boat as anyone else who is not looking in your direction. In fact most blind people pay more attention to the quieter noises in their immediate environment so are probably more likely to notice your car than the average sighted person. You will be driving and will see anybody in front of your vehicle. If they need a warning just lower your window and call out to them. Since owning my car I have never yet come anywhere near putting a pedestrian in danger due to the quietness at low speeds. I have had people unaware that I was behind them when they were walking across a car park but I've had that in an ICE car too. (Rather than a constant low speed sound I think EVs would be better with the equivalent of a cycle bell that you ping on the few occasions when you want to alert a pedestrian to your presence.)
I'm sure (hope) we all drive with care and respect to pedestrians, what remains though is that there is currently no way for someone to determine that your car is about to start moving, and could be hard for you to see e.g. moving out of a parking space. It's not happened to me yet, and hopefully it never will, but given there is a place to fit a speaker, the wiring, and the software to control it why shouldn't I be able to get it fitted.

Also, I now want to be able to threaten miscreants in a robocop voice.

100% would be there is Tesla allowed retrofit.

• Funny
Reactions: Rustybkts

same. Even on a 20 road, the road noise from the tyres is enough to notice. Its really only at very low speeds like creeping through a car park that its quieter (and some ICE cars can be almost as quiet).

I did have fun at St Ives where you have to go along the sea front which is always full of people, and a couple of times i'd be driving behind a pedestrian walking along in the road that literally didn't realise I was there for quite some time.

You could order the part number easily enough from Tesla. As said above fitting it would mean it would work briefly when your car boots up, but stop working once it realises it's not part of the spec (like ambient lights on SR+).

Given my recent experience trying to get my heated steering wheel working on my 2020 car, I would be surprised if there isn't some internal "script" that Tesla could use to push Boombox to the car's gateway configuration. Getting them to do it is the hard part as there's no official retrofit in the UK.

It looks super simple to fit from the service manual, so you might have more luck buying it, fitting it yourself and then pitching up at a service centre saying "my PWS isn't working". A bit devious but..

Screenshot 2022-01-05 at 10.11.03.png

Last edited:
You could order the part number easily enough from Tesla. As said above fitting it would mean it would work briefly when your car boots up, but stop working once it realises it's not part of the spec (like ambient lights on SR+).

Given my recent experience trying to get my heated steering wheel working on my 2020 car, I would be surprised if there isn't some internal "script" that Tesla could use to push Boombox to the car's gateway configuration. Getting them to do it is the hard part as there's no official retrofit in the UK.

It looks super simple to fit from the service manual, so you might have more luck buying it, fitting it yourself and then pitching up at a service centre saying "my PWS isn't working". A bit devious but..

View attachment 752183
Well, as expected, the service team text this morning saying it wasn’t available in the UK & they didn’t know if/when it would be.

I’ve checked & I have the speaker holes, so I imagine I have the harness too.

Can you in the UK just call Tesla & order that part, or is it US shipping only?

I've never had any issues with pedestrians or cyclists not knowing I was there, might be because of having music playing though. The subwoofer seems to make a good PWS.

I am not quite sure why, but I am finding people are more aware I'm about to move than in any other car - like some heightened sense for EV's. Or maybe I'm more aware of noticing pedestrians noticing.

However, despite all that.. I would jump at the chance to have the speaker added, it does feel the right thing to do.

If there is a parts shortage for this, or supply is tight, I can't see an official retrofit happening anytime soon. Tesla did, after all, wait until the very last minute before adding it here.

Yeah I used to drive a diesel and probably had more people not notice me in that than the tesla.. The AC is fairly loud when it's running, plus heavy car means more tyre noise. Animals I think can hear the motor whine - the local dogs turn around to look at me halfway down the street.

For me it's mostly about making fart noises if I got one.

Reactions: Beady3647
I’m sure it will come. My Ioniq electric had one and my wife’s Outlander has one
i’ll certainly fit one when available
I'm not so sure. It is in principal such an easy thing to do that the fact it hasn't already been formalised as an official retrofit makes me think it's not likely to happen. I'd like to be proven wrong, but it's been several months since it was available as a retrofit in the States and the company line hasn't changed for the UK (or Europe as far as I'm aware).

I'm not so sure. It is in principal such an easy thing to do that the fact it hasn't already been formalised as an official retrofit makes me think it's not likely to happen. I'd like to be proven wrong, but it's been several months since it was available as a retrofit in the States and the company line hasn't changed for the UK (or Europe as far as I'm aware).
Yes, I guess it could go either way. There will be some legislation at some point, no doubt.

Reactions: Dasher