Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pedestrian Warning System (PWS) Retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
These are available for £14.41 on Amazon ;)

megaphone.png

So I drove to Tesla Bristol today to get this done, my appointment being at 10:45.

When I got in to the car to leave I was annoyed to find that it wasn't coming up in the calendar in the car, so I had to actually use my fingers to type in the address! Annoying! I've had this happen before when my iPhone and car has got out of sync slightly, so just chalked it up to that. Weirdly it didn't even come up after I toggled "Sync Calendar" off and back on again.

Undeterred I set off and arrived at the SC at 10am, went inside and pressed the buzzer, a tech came out and I apologised for being early. He went away to check on something.

About 2 minutes later he came back out and asked to look at the service in the app. To my horror I then noticed that I was supposed to be there this Monday at 10:45 instead. The original appointment was today, but was bumped to Monday to ensure the parts were available. The tech told me that they were rammed today so couldn't squeeze me in. :(

To make matters worse the Tesla sales place doesn't even exist in The Mall in Bristol anymore, so I couldn't even blag some free destination charging to make me feel better (they've been removed).

An altogether lame day. :(

So I drove to Tesla Bristol today to get this done, my appointment being at 10:45.

When I got in to the car to leave I was annoyed to find that it wasn't coming up in the calendar in the car, so I had to actually use my fingers to type in the address! Annoying! I've had this happen before when my iPhone and car has got out of sync slightly, so just chalked it up to that. Weirdly it didn't even come up after I toggled "Sync Calendar" off and back on again.

Undeterred I set off and arrived at the SC at 10am, went inside and pressed the buzzer, a tech came out and I apologised for being early. He went away to check on something.

About 2 minutes later he came back out and asked to look at the service in the app. To my horror I then noticed that I was supposed to be there this Monday at 10:45 instead. The original appointment was today, but was bumped to Monday to ensure the parts were available. The tech told me that they were rammed today so couldn't squeeze me in. :(

To make matters worse the Tesla sales place doesn't even exist in The Mall in Bristol anymore, so I couldn't even blag some free destination charging to make me feel better (they've been removed).

I’m curious. Reading the description on the sales page, it says they send you the parts to your home address, and then you arrange to have it fitted. I’m surprised you’ve been able to arrange to have it done directly at the SC without first obtaining the part?

I’m curious. Reading the description on the sales page, it says they send you the parts to your home address, and then you arrange to have it fitted. I’m surprised you’ve been able to arrange to have it done directly at the SC without first obtaining the part?
I ignored that page because it says you won't get Boombox and I'm sure as s**t not paying £185 to not get the full monty with the PWS. That page also tells me that my car is not compatible (although I think everyone is getting that).

I just opened a service request and said I wanted it done, and when the tech called me to rearrange the booking (they wanted to push it to make sure they got the parts - hence my screwup today) I made it clear that I expected Boombox functionality to be there, and he confirmed it would be. I didn't mention the store page.

There is a part number for the kit, and a book price of £178.50 for it (why it's not £185 I don't know, delivery cost?)

Reactions: Cardo
I ignored that page because it says you won't get Boombox and I'm sure as s**t not paying £185 to not get the full monty with the PWS. That page also tells me that my car is not compatible (although I think everyone is getting that).

I just opened a service request and said I wanted it done, and when the tech called me to rearrange the booking (they wanted to push it to make sure they got the parts - hence my screwup today) I made it clear that I expected Boombox functionality to be there, and he confirmed it would be. I didn't mention the store page.

There is a part number for the kit, and a book price of £178.50 for it (why it's not £185 I don't know, delivery cost?)
Keep us posted!

Surely there won’t be a difference between booking directly through the SC or through the store, but I guess we’ll have to wait and see..

Keep us posted!

Surely there won’t be a difference between booking directly through the SC or through the store, but I guess we’ll have to wait and see..
There probably isn't to be honest. The earliest ranger appointment I could get was 30/12, and I didn't want to risk them not enabling Boombox and just saying "the website told you it wouldn't have it" and having no comeback.

Hardware sadly. Tesla Bristol spent 3.5 hours trying to get it working. They managed to get the steering wheel heating icon to appear on the car UI, but it didn’t do anything. They decided that there was probably differences in hardware between my car and 2021+ MIC cars.

In their words “we told the car that it had a heated steering wheel, and that it was enabled, but it still doesn’t work”.

Further investigation revealed that the left body controller (which is believed to be responsible for it) had changed in early 2021, and had completely different connectors so wasn’t retrofittable without loom changes which would mean other changes being required, etc. The thinking is that this controller has beefed up MOSFETs to handle steering wheel heating, etc.

So yeah, a dead end. :(

• Informative
Reactions: MrBadger

A new service centre / sales centre is coming soon in Bristol by the Asda at Cribbs Causeway. Signs are up, believe there will be superchargers as well as destination chargers, seen many MS next to the destination chargers last week.

Seems like it will be close to a typical car dealership with service centre plus showroom in same building

New Service Centre

Last edited:
Keep us posted!

Just had this completed on my car. Now £178.50 lighter.

Boombox activated. I did explicitly ask but I don’t think it makes a difference if you do or not, I’ve been told that the retrofit job specifies updating the gateway to enable Boombox.

Don’t know why the website says that you don’t get Boombox, or that my car is incompatible with PWS. Neither is correct.

Attachments

• 0C1B5631-1372-4139-907B-79AD22A7CEC8.jpeg
    0C1B5631-1372-4139-907B-79AD22A7CEC8.jpeg
    380.7 KB · Views: 66
  • 5F0DB5EE-96D3-419C-9234-C356EF57C15A.png
    5F0DB5EE-96D3-419C-9234-C356EF57C15A.png
    295.8 KB · Views: 67

Boombox activated. I did explicitly ask but I don’t think it makes a difference if you do or not, I’ve been told that the retrofit job specifies updating the gateway to enable Boombox.

Don’t know why the website says that you don’t get Boombox, or that my car is incompatible with PWS. Neither is correct.
Thanks for the update. I guess I’ll set up a SC visit and see what they say!

Reactions: Durzel

Horn sounds only work when parked right?

Do you have the sentry mode audio thing now too?

Exactly. That’s specifically why I bought it. 🙃

The UFO sound I’m not sold on, didn’t like it when I test drove a 2022 M3P. Oh well.

I suppose there's always the hope we will get a few different sounds to choose from down the line. I think it makes sense tbh because its just like reversing beepers, everyone gets so used to hearing them they stop paying attention, which is one of the reasons white noise came in, which is just as bad now tbh but thats a different conversation.

Just a little update - the PWS is actually pretty good in terms of sound quality, better than I had expected. Not £185 worth of speaker, but all things considered being able to scare my niece by pretending to be Darth Vader made it worth it.

Although I have found myself actually doing the Darth Vader voice instead of talking normally and letting the car do it. I'd like to think I'm not the only person who has to overcome that mindset.

Reactions: speedyranger74