Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Peeling yoke replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bumping this thread up as a new yoke with stitching has been released. I don't know if this one will have the airbag as horn button, but I am set to get it installed on the 23rd of April.

Has anyone else received the new yoke? Please post pics if you have.

Just got back from service for new yoke. Feels better, beefier? The buttons also feel better and there is more tactile response to the turn signals. Airbag is horn, old horn button brings up the rear and side repeater cameras. Finally, I have said goodbye to wormy the yoke worm.
20240424_083312.jpg

Last edited:
Just got back from service for new yoke. Feels better, beefier? The buttons also feel better and there is more tactile response to the turn signals. Airbag is horn, old horn button brings up the rear and side repeater cameras. Finally, I have said goodbye to wormy the yoke worm.View attachment 1041258
Awesome! My mobile appointment is next week Tuesday.

For what reason are you in service mode?

I noticed your drive indicators are lighted below thr phone charge dock. Are they on because you're in service mode?

Just got back from service for new yoke. Feels better, beefier? The buttons also feel better and there is more tactile response to the turn signals. Airbag is horn, old horn button brings up the rear and side repeater cameras. Finally, I have said goodbye to wormy the yoke worm.View attachment 1041258
The buttons should feel identical. Any differences you feel are variances in manufacturing tolerances. My first mechanical-horn yoke replacement was nearly impossible to activate the turn signals on, and my current one feels identical to the 2021 and 2022 Plaids I've had. Also, the worm is still there, so not sure why you say you've said goodbye?

I have two used ‘22 Teslas, any chance to check if they have already been replaced under warranty? Living in Atlanta, wife really wants a center horn for emergency situations. They haven’t started peeling yet but I am super particular about keeping cars clean, in the garage, etc.

I have two used ‘22 Teslas, any chance to check if they have already been replaced under warranty? Living in Atlanta, wife really wants a center horn for emergency situations. They haven’t started peeling yet but I am super particular about keeping cars clean, in the garage, etc.
Not sure I understand the question, but in any case if they're peeling, Tesla will replace them under warranty.

Reactions: zoomer0056
Yes they should do. Up to now all the prior yokes are (eventually) faulty it seems, depending on the conditions.
The left bat horn on my 2022 Yoked MSLR started with a pimple at a year and a half of age. It is now more than an inch round and now the right bat horn is affected. It looks like it's melting and the material has been pushed to the side causing wrinkles.

Mobile appointment tomorrow for replacement.

The left bat horn on my 2022 Yoked MSLR started with a pimple at a year and a half of age. It is now more than an inch round and now the right bat horn is affected. It looks like it's melting and the material has been pushed to the side causing wrinkles.

Mobile appointment tomorrow for replacement.
When the side mirrors are closed, I can see this area clearly. I give it a rub every now and again, but no pimple yet. Fingers Crossed!

Reactions: zoomer0056
Tesla mobile service waranty replaced the peeling yoke on my 2022 MSLR. It took just 20 minutes. He pulled off the cover under the hood and powered down the car by disconnecting a connector. A couple of pushes through the side of the old yoke, disconnect a cable and the old airbag was out. Pull the steering wheel nut off and wiggle the old yoke off. New yoke pushed on and tightened down then connect and push on new airbag. Then turn car back on, connect to his computer, turn off service mode, test it out .... nice! Just one hick up, his pants were dirty and left marks on the seat. No worries, he said he has cleaner, but I cleaned it off very easily. Does any other car maker do mobile service .... very awesome.

New yoke part number.
1000029776.jpg

Old yoke part number.
1000029773.jpg

New yoke.
1000029782.jpg

1000029783.jpg

Waranty service.
1000029795.jpg

Invoice.
1000029797.jpg

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: aerodyne
If your Yoke is peeling, due to poor construction, they will replace it at no charge.

If your Yoke is not peeling, and you just want the new horn location, you will have to pay.

They told me that I would qualify for a one time replacement. I could get it replaced immediately (6 Mos ago) for free, or wait till a replacement came out, and they would replace it then. Did not want to replace one bad part, with another bad part.

• Informative
Reactions: aerodyne and Maaz