Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

People who went from an S to a 3, how do you feel about it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I originally planned to go for a CPO Model S but then decided to buy a Model 3. I am very happy with the 3 as it being smaller is a big plus.

I know there are a lot of people who went from an S to a 3, so just out of curiosity which do you like best?

I didn't technically own an S before I got my 3 but I'd put several thousand miles on one. I wouldn't trade my Model 3 for a brand new P100D unless it was to immediately sell the P100D and buy another Model 3 while pocketing the profit.

I think the Model 3 is a flat-out better car. There are some things about the S that are improvements but overall I don't think it's as good of a product. People with lots of kids might think differently, but as someone who doesn't need to raise sex souvenirs and doesn't need a car the size of an aircraft carrier, I'm thrilled that I saved tens of thousands of dollars and got a car that's more fun to drive and easier to park, and actually fits in my garage. Not to mention the much-improved interior with usable storage.

That said, on the 3 we have a crippled Summon implementation, no steering wheel heater, and a few other sad omissions.

It's a hard comparison because they're just so different.

With the 3 you can get more bang for the buck. Everything from range to quickness/power. You get an updated interior. The P3D+ is also astonishingly fast in a straight line or on the track.

The the S you get more niceties. I miss a lot of things about my S. The smoothness of the ride, the sunroof that opened up (no longer available), and the heated steering wheel. I liked having two screens, and I loved the next generation seats. Some cars just really fit the person that drives it, and it fit me.

What's funny is the S was what I got when I really wanted something smaller. I always laughed at how the Model S was the size of a spaceship. It was like I was docking the Enterprise when stopping at a supercharger.

It's tough for me to give the 3 a fair chance because of all the memories of the S.

Now that I've had both I'm longing for something tougher.

Both the S and the 3 are at home on nice smooth roads.

But, that's not what we get to drive on anymore.

I'll have a P3D for a few more years, and then I'll get something like a Tesla pickup or some EV SUV that suits what I want now. Or maybe I'll win the lottery or I'll become a drug kingpin to afford the Roadster 2.0.

It all depends on the buyer. This is why BMW makes the Model 1,2,3,4,5,6, and 7 sedans, and X1, X3, and X5 SUVs

It is not a Tesla Model 3 is better than Model S. It is Model 3 is better meets the needs for certain buyer (or a buyer's mood), and the Model S better meets the needs of a different buyer (or same buyer's different mood).

I have an X and may add a P3, so my moods are all over.

It all depends on the buyer. This is why BMW makes the Model 1,2,3,4,5,6, and 7 sedans, and X1, X3, and X5 SUVs

It is not a Tesla Model 3 is better than Model S. It is Model 3 is better meets the needs for certain buyer (or a buyer's mood), and the Model S better meets the needs of a different buyer (or same buyer's different mood).

I have an X and may add a P3, so my moods are all over.

Very true. That said, I have an X and much prefer driving my 3. We take the X on road trips just due to the practicality aspect, but driving the 3 I just awesome. I'm not even really a "fast car" kind of guy and have always driven SUVs for the most part. But, I actually CRAVE driving the 3.

I never considered the S because of the outdated interior. The S just feels less well put together than the 3. Even the way the doors close on the S sounds much less refined than on the 3. I have no doubt though that after the upcoming interior refresh for the S, it'll feel much more premium than the S in much the same way our X feels more premium than our 3. I might then trade in the 3 for an S.

People may think I am crazy, but I upgraded from a Model S P100D to a Model 3. My prior car before the P100D was a P85DL. It all started when my wife traded in her Model X for a P3D. After driving my wife's 3 for some time I decided to sell my P100D and buy another P3D (different color of course.) I have been in a S since 2014, and there are certain things I think are markedly improved in the 3. I know that there have been a lot of quality issues, especially early on, but I find the quality overall improved, and for the longterm I think it will hold up better.

Things that I think are better improvements are:
-Performance- I think the 3 handles much better, and with performance brakes, brakes better. The S was more of a straight line shooter, the 3 is a much more all around package. I envision it kind of like the feeling of an M3 versus M5. You could really feel the weight of the S in the corner at the limits, even though it hid it well, it always telegraphed a desire to understeer at the limit. The fact that they moved both motors of the 3 to the center, inside the axels and thereby lowered the moment of polar inertia is staggering brilliant. They essentially created almost a mid engined car feel in a car with instant torque. The car surprises in the corner with it's willingness to turn.
-A/C I think the AC is way improved,
- Screen is markedly better and higher resolution. (I had to keep having my Model S screens replaced because of the delamination issue of the adhesive causing the yellow around the edge.)
- Doors are improved. In the 3 they close solidly, in both my Ses they always seems a little "off" kind of double hitting when closed.
-Seats - I think the new Tesla designed synthetic seats will hold up better, and to me are more comfortable
-Stereo - I had the upgraded stereo in all our prior Teslas and I think the 3s is hands down better
Headlights - There is no adaptive lighting, but overall the 3's headlights provide better illumination
Efficiency / cooling - Even In the performance version and with a heavy foot the 3 with two different motors (3 phase AC induction motor, and permanent magnet motors) in tandem are much more efficient. Using innovations that are not in the S or X, or any other EV for that matter to increase the efficiency such as simply arranging the batteries in a Hallback array is amazing. I also don't see as much a hit driving in cold weather. I also am glad they improved the cooling of the batteries by having a higher coolant loop to battery ratio. I am also looking forward to the ability of the 2170 battery cells to be able to take advantage of the faster charging rate of supercharging 3.

To each his own, but I think it would be a bad time to buy an S or an X with the reported update refresh coming. I remember when autopilot 2 was just coming out, everyone said no one would want it, and everyone would prefer autopilot one when trying to sell it. I can tell you that isn't the case, in trying to sell a used Tesla everyone made sure the cars had autopilot 2. In the same way I think that when the S and X get refreshed with newer, more efficient battery cells, improved motors, better AC, and headlights, current versions may take a value hit. Just my 2 cents.

I would be happy to answer any specific questions, and realize they are just my own opinion.

Owned a 2015 Model S for 3 years and just purchased a Model 3 in December (Yay for $7500!) The only thing I miss from the S is the free supercharging and a couple of steering wheel controls for the HVAC. My Model 3 is more fun to drive, easier to park, better HVAC and sound systems and I like the center console as long as you wrap it to cover the piano black look. The only part of the Model 3 I don’t like are the door handles, but I would definitely buy another model 3 to eventually replace this one.

Reactions: SmartElectric
It really depends on what your priorities are or what you are looking for.
When taking the families out, I prefer the S/X over the 3. It's quieter, smoother, roomier.
If it's just myself, then I would take the 3. It's more nimble and better handling.

If the S is quieter, I'd hate to drive a 3. In my 2nd S (March 2017 vintage) last weekish, the front cabin measured 90+ dB repeatedly during the last road trip. And that's after the SvC tried twice to reduce wind/road noise - the only thing left to do now is to replace the windshield *twitch*. Tires are not worn excessively.

So... under optimal circumstances, unlike the above, how much louder is a 3 relative to an S, and has anyone downloaded Decibel Meter Pro or similar to take some ad hoc measurements? The measurements don't have to be perfect - just relative.

I had a loaner 2018 75D for a bit. The S feels like a more premium car, in which it is. The trunk is automatic. The cabin is very quiet even at freeway speeds. The suspension soaks up the bumps better. It just feels like you're riding in a big executive car. However the 3 drives a lot better than the S. The S steering wheel is huge, and steering input isn't as tight as the 3. It drives like a boat (albeit a fast one!). The 3 feels more nimble and sportier. The 3 also feels technologically newer. Both are great cars nonetheless.

Edit- forgot to mention the stereo in the 3 is worlds better than the S.

If the S is quieter, I'd hate to drive a 3. In my 2nd S (March 2017 vintage) last weekish, the front cabin measured 90+ dB repeatedly during the last road trip. And that's after the SvC tried twice to reduce wind/road noise - the only thing left to do now is to replace the windshield *twitch*. Tires are not worn excessively.

So... under optimal circumstances, unlike the above, how much louder is a 3 relative to an S, and has anyone downloaded Decibel Meter Pro or similar to take some ad hoc measurements? The measurements don't have to be perfect - just relative.

There are YouTube videos showing 65-70db on the interior cabin of the Model 3.