Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Upgrade Price Change!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m supposed to take delivery tomorrow of a P3D- and I have no idea what to do. I called my advisor and Tesla and everyone is confused. They think I will have the option to delay my delivery and they will upgrade my car with the performance pack or I could take the car as is with an undisclosed rebate. If I did keep as a P3D- would i still get track mode when available? I’d be happy to use the $5k to buy my own upgraded wheels and don’t really need the brakes. What would you all do if those are presented as options?
Refuse delivery and make them get you a "new" P3D+.

No matter what they tell you, you can't guarantee getting track mode, or anything else in the future. Secure what you need now, before you pay.

But three people who ordered just 1 week apart from each other for the same exact car probably paid completely different prices. I’m not a fan of this strategy at all.

This is ALL in the name of sales and profit margin, sales have somewhat started to taper off (long term reservation holders) and they are taking short/quick actions to increase them.

The Mid Range battery is literally just leaving out some of the cells (but still same pack design so its easy) which saves Tesla ~$1500 and they sell it for $3K less (so slightly less profit margin). Now they have done the same with the Performance version (reduced profit margin) also to increase sales.

All of these actions result in slightly reduced profit margin which will increase sales, but without significant manufacturing differences (which the SR Base 3 requires). This kinda makes sense that they would do this to gradually transition towards higher volume and tighter profit margins, but i dont like it :(

Reactions: omgwtfbyobbq
I’m supposed to take delivery tomorrow of a P3D- and I have no idea what to do. I called my advisor and Tesla and everyone is confused. They think I will have the option to delay my delivery and they will upgrade my car with the performance pack or I could take the car as is with an undisclosed rebate. If I did keep as a P3D- would i still get track mode when available? I’d be happy to use the $5k to buy my own upgraded wheels and don’t really need the brakes. What would you all do if those are presented as options?

If they're giving you money off the car, I would take it in a heartbeat unless you're serious about tracking the car.

Spoiler: $200
Painted brakes: $600 or DIY for $100 and a few hours
BBK: Ok, this is actually worth money if you're going to track the car, but otherwise, $0
Pedals: $30
Tires/Wheels: You're going to need 18s/all seasons at least part of the year in NJ anyway.

Seriously if you can get a P3D- with a discount, that's better than a P3D with a free +package IMO.

Yup. Man, how much will that suck if current P3D buyers get Ludicrous, and P3D- buyers that spent the same can’t. ****.

Tesla has already stated P3- can be upgraded to P3+. The big question now is: how much? It's a free upgrade at this point, so imagine they ask all the P3- to pay to upgrade to P3+ for $5,000 now. Yes, the P3- has a $2,000 set of tires/rims plus the smaller brakes, but still. I think it makes sense to just have one "Performance" without a silly "Performance Upgrade" but they really should do something to make sure P3- doesn't feel abandoned and P3+ doesn't feel ripped off. Do they have to? Nah, that's the risk you take of being an early adopter. Do the owners have to--for example--continue raving about Tesla? Nope, that's the risk Tesla takes by making changes.

Sadly my opinions are worthless owning only 2 Tesla’s but I’m gonna be as salty as I can be for all you guys and gals here. :)

F7AB2B35-D0E2-4F2D-BF96-C371F873B065.jpeg

Yes and I’ll be straight up. I’m fine and will live with it.

However I do understand the value of momentum and maximum pressure when the iron is hot.

I’m ok with getting NOTHiNG but I do feel it’s worth helping anyone else just so they feel better.

It’s a drastic beat down not a gradual walk down in price.

Refuse delivery and make them get you a "new" P3D+.

No matter what they tell you, you can't guarantee getting track mode, or anything else in the future. Secure what you need now, before you pay.
If they're giving you money off the car, I would take it in a heartbeat unless you're serious about tracking the car.

Spoiler: $200
Painted brakes: $600 or DIY for $100 and a few hours
BBK: Ok, this is actually worth money if you're going to track the car, but otherwise, $0
Pedals: $30
Tires/Wheels: You're going to need 18s/all seasons at least part of the year in NJ anyway.

Seriously if you can get a P3D- with a discount, that's better than a P3D with a free +package IMO.

You might have a point. I have another track car and while I would love to bring this on a track I’m out off by the practicality of it and the risk of damaging the batteries.

Seriously feel burned here. I’ve had the P3D+ for a month, it’s been in the shop 4 times, and now this? Here I bought as much as I could to try and help them become profitable and this is how they reward us? I’m sorry Elon, free supercharging is not worth 5k to me....can I swap that for 5k back? I suspect the answer is no.

Regardless, my opinion of Tesla has dropped because of this. I invested my retirement in Tesla, planned to buy the solar roof, and wanted the Y. I’m not going to sell my stock but I’m sure as hell not going to buy the Y or solar roof now!

• Funny
Reactions: P85_DA
Seriously feel burned here. I’ve had the P3D+ for a month, it’s been in the shop 4 times, and now this? Here I bought as much as I could to try and help them become profitable and this is how they reward us? I’m sorry Elon, free supercharging is not worth 5k to me....can I swap that for 5k back? I suspect the answer is no.

Regardless, my opinion of Tesla has dropped because of this. I invested my retirement in Tesla, planned to buy the solar roof, and wanted the Y. I’m not going to sell my stock but I’m sure as hell not going to buy the Y or solar roof now!

Why in the shop 4 times? I had to repaint my bumper 3 times until they could match the colour properly.

buy the Y but just wait until production settles

• Disagree
Reactions: P85_DA
I like how he keeps using that as if it's even remotely in the same league. Free SC is worth like... maybe $1,000 over the entire life of the car, unless you're a travelling salesman, compared to $5,000 right now.

I would "sell" my lifetime free supercharging back to Tesla for $5,000 without even a picosecond of hesitation.

Edit: Elon Musk on Twitter
Elon Musk said:
It was underpriced. Anyway, if you want $5k refund & free Supercharging turned off, we will do that.

Looks like I'm contacting Tesla tomorrow!

I got my P3D+ in August, and this is somewhat disappointing. Tesla should consider giving pre-price cut P3D+/P3D- owners free FSD. This would cost them very little. (Nothing, if they charged a nominal amount for the AP3 new CPU board and installation--maybe $1000.) Free supercharging is never going to add up to $5K.

Or maybe just give $3000 to $5000 credit towards any upgrade: EAP, FSD, P3D- to P3D+ upgrade, Ludicrous, Track Mode (if they decide to charge P3D- owners for it), wheel package (winter or possible future Arachnids). That way people can choose whatever they think is worth it. I could also see getting more credit towards software only upgrades and less for those that include hardware, since that mirrors Tesla's cost.