Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Upgrade Price Change!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No safety features are disabled by Elon's own statements.

Elon never said that. (Mention safety features.) He was talking about traction/stability control. And the manual and on-screen warning before enabling track mode specifically states otherwise:

tesla-model-3-track-mode-enable-screen_100678783_l.jpg

Reactions: P85_DA and MXWing
What do you get out of being such a kill joy?

Replace joy with pedestrian and I can ask you the same thing :)

Isn't it obvious if I get into a crash that is a result of my driving that I would be responsible for all that ensues.

You don't seem to understand how any of this works legally.

Accident and negligence aren't the same thing.

"I was just driving normally and lost control" is an accident. Certainly there's some liability, but it's nowhere near as large as "I was just driving in a mode explicitly not for use on public roads, and knowingly turning off multiple safety features and lost control" and that second one likely opens up potentially criminal charges on top.

That's apart from the warranty stuff mp3mike brought up too.

The reason for these track mode disclaimers is because your kind would even contemplate it being someone else's fault.

.... what?

No safety features are disabled by Elon's own statements.

Once again- both factually wrong about what Elon said, and factually wrong based on what the Track Mode section of the owners manual says.

Are you EVER not wrong about facts?

No safety features are disabled by Elon's own statements. They are enhanced to achieve a different more driver centric behavior. It turns the car into the ultimate driving machine as BMW would put it.

More from the manual:

Note: When Track Mode is enabled, all Autopilot features are disabled or unavailable (including safety features such as Automatic Emergency Braking, Forward Collision Warning, etc.).

Note: Some settings, such as Slip Start and Regenerative Braking, are overridden and cannot be changed until Track Mode is disabled. When Track Mode is disabled, the settings return to their previous state.

Track Model Manual.png

I'm hoping to finally get my P3D- back from servicing the delivery issues tomorrow. Maybe I will ask if they can refund me 11k and flash me to an AWD while I'm there. Or maybe I should point out, "hey it's missing the PUP, aren't you guys delivering these with PUP these days?" when pick it up. This is of course assuming they actually fixed it right, otherwise back to the shop it goes until they can delivery me a proper car... Pretty sure it's 30 days for a lemon buy back in California, so I might have that card riding for me.

You've had that card for days now- your sig says 10/17 and in the shop since- you passed 30 days many days ago.

If you actually wanted them to buy it back you've had the chance for a while now- and it's been pointed out to you multiple times.

Even if that means you void the warranty while driving on public roads? :eek:

Did you purchase EAP? If so that seems like a waste since isn't EAP totally disabled in track mode? (I get that track mode is about you driving and EAP is more about you not driving, so they are sort of mutually exclusive.)
I would probably answer yes to that. What's the point of a performance car if you don't have fun with it. I would still expect warranty coverage on things that I don't deem related to using that mode though.

For those of us who enjoy driving cars to the limits, EAP is kind of an oxymoron so no I did not buy it. I am in the EAP trial now and although I have tried it as a novelty, I see no use for it. In fact I think it is more dangerous for me since, with it, my brain has to do more things. I have to asses the road conditions, then asses the car's behavior to said road conditions, and then have to decide when to intervene while assessing the road and the car. That decision tree is way more complex and fatiguing than normal driving which is asses and act.

Self driving only makes sense when it's good enough for me to sleep in the back or do some work while the car takes me door to door with zero intervention from me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Msjulie and MP3Mike
@Knightshade - sorry you had to piss into the wind

Using Track Mode on public roads as a "suggestion?"

Regulatory agencies are pushing for FCW, AEB, etc to be standard with eventual transition to MANDATORY. Though any auto maker with a brain won't wait that long.

No safety features are disabled by Elon's own statements. They are enhanced to achieve a different more driver centric behavior. It turns the car into the ultimate driving machine as BMW would put it.

WRONG

Straight from page 60 of the updated Model 3 Owners manual:

Note: When Track Mode is enabled, all Autopilot features are disabled or unavailable (including safety features such as Automatic Emergency Braking, Forward Collision Warning, etc.).

Well that wasn't Elon that said that.
You're right, my mistake. I remembered the source incorrectly. It was the engineer specifically tasked to managing the development of Track Mode, Michael Neumeyer, Tesla Manager of Chassis Controls. That gives it even more weight.
And again they weren't talking about AP related safety features.
I wasn't either. I was specifically talking about Track Mode. I don't care about EAP. I don't even have that. The argument was that safety features are being disabled in track mode. I contend that they are still there just modified to allow, and I quote: "more advanced driving modes".

Last edited:
The argument was that safety features are being disabled in track mode. I contend that they are still there just modified to be more in line with what spirited drivers like.

But they are as very clearly spelled out in the manual: "When Track Mode is enabled, all Autopilot features are disabled or unavailable (including safety features such as Automatic Emergency Braking, Forward Collision Warning, etc.)."

Which makes sense since most tracks require that you disable AEB when you are on the track.

But they are as very clearly spelled out in the manual: "When Track Mode is enabled, all Autopilot features are disabled or unavailable (including safety features such as Automatic Emergency Braking, Forward Collision Warning, etc.)."

Which makes sense since most tracks require that you disable AEB when you are on the track.
Those are bonuses. Most cars don't have those so if you want to hang your argument on these two features then I will concede that the M3 in Track Mode will be at least as safe as most other cars on the road without those two bonus features. It will still probably be safer for other body construction related reasons.

As an aside the Automatic Emergency Braking has shown in a few cases to have false positively been activated from cast shadows on the road. I personally would not miss being thrown through the front windshield on the car's whim.

Note the quote, "it allows sliding in such a controlled way as if the hand of god says this looks good but lets not get too crazy with it". So yea the nannies are still there so its still safer than any European sports car that allows disabling traction control.
I think this is an important point (and someone else made it earlier too): Even in track mode the Model 3 is safer than most street-legal muscle cars - and those things are always in track mode! (They probably have some kind of warning in their owner's manual about the power, but that's about it.)

If you want to be super safe, have friends or family abroad, etc. just don't use it.
If you are in a controlled environment - you decide! - it's ok to learn the limits of the car. No nanny state please.

• Love
Reactions: Perry
I'm hoping to finally get my P3D- back from servicing the delivery issues tomorrow. Maybe I will ask if they can refund me 11k and flash me to an AWD while I'm there. Or maybe I should point out, "hey it's missing the PUP, aren't you guys delivering these with PUP these days?" when pick it up. This is of course assuming they actually fixed it right, otherwise back to the shop it goes until they can delivery me a proper car... Pretty sure it's 30 days for a lemon buy back in California, so I might have that card riding for me.
Good idea. Give them options. Let them know your thoughts and preferences: a) free PUP (or $5K), b) 11K back and AWD, c) Return via lemon law and get a new replacement (- not necessarily in that order).

Gather facts. Give 'em hell! Tell 'em Elon gypped the P- folks in his tweets. (They might find that funny.) :)

Last edited:

Tesla Manager of Chassis control.... The person that managed the people that setup and designed the controls for Track mode.

How more clear can it get? o_O

Who gives crap if it voids warranty if you use track mode on public road. People twin turbo Larborghini Hurracans all the time... I could careless about my warranty. You can tell by the posts that some poeple have never owned a performance cars or been to a road course or never will.

Who gives crap if it voids warranty if you use track mode on public road. People twin turbo Larborghini Hurracans all the time... I could careless about my warranty. You can tell by the posts that some poeple have never owned a performance cars or been to a road course or never will.

That’s one thing everyone agrees on. Nobody cares avoid about the warranty of “your” car.

What people do care about is:

1.) Killing someone from “track driving” on public roads.
2.) Setting back autonomous driving. It’s a Tesla, owners won’t read page 60 of the owners manual, let alone media.
3.) Not having “nice things” due to some people’s disregards for the tools given to them.

Last edited: