Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Upgrade Price Change!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Deserve in what sense? Much of the reason people pay $11K more for the Performance isn't just to get from 4.5s to 3.3s, it's track mode.
But 3.3 is irresponsible and kills more people than 4.5 - so only the cars that do 4.5 or less should have track mode. :)
Unless you're a true and proven race driver you shouldn't you be allowed to have track mode with a 3.3 second car! :)
Fun aside, I think all Model 3's should get a version of track or sport+ mode...

Last edited:
Reactions: Perry
Deserve in what sense? Much of the reason people pay $11K more for the Performance isn't just to get from 4.5s to 3.3s, it's track mode.
Deserve as in should be made available. For performance should be included because its a performance feature. For AWD, at some extra cost, at least a scaled down version (cooling and regen only) if not more. I am not one that enjoys keeping features away from people just so we Ps can feel exclusive.

Great vid! Is that a winter track ? :cool: They should quit with the "Track Mode" and just call it Sport+ , and put some version of it on all cars.
They can still cover their butts and say "not for public roads".
Really all it does is make it more like a "normal" car.

Exactly, make it like all other sport sedans. Call it Sport+ and give it to all cars.

Reactions: Roys3 and Perry
I'm hoping to finally get my P3D- back from servicing the delivery issues tomorrow. Maybe I will ask if they can refund me 11k and flash me to an AWD while I'm there. Or maybe I should point out, "hey it's missing the PUP, aren't you guys delivering these with PUP these days?" when pick it up. This is of course assuming they actually fixed it right, otherwise back to the shop it goes until they can delivery me a proper car... Pretty sure it's 30 days for a lemon buy back in California, so I might have that card riding for me.

Doubt they'd do that for you. You decided at purchase it was worth the cost for an extra second over AWD, that's what you got and still have and enjoy today.

Reactions: MXWing
Deserve as in should be made available. For performance should be included because its a performance feature. For AWD, at some extra cost, at least a scaled down version (cooling and regen only) if not more. I am not one that enjoys keeping features away from people just so we Ps can feel exclusive.
I'll slowly raise my hand and say that I can see your POV. It's like what if all Tesla's drive in Chill Mode but then Performance Tesla's offer something called Standard. Everyone would say who in the hell would need to accelerate that fast! or that's dangerous and should only be available on a drag strip with special brakes! Maybe not quite the same but hopefully I'm close :)

I hear what you're saying but I just watched one of the most real life Track Mode scenarios and it scared the hell out of me.

Here's a real amateur youtuber showing off TM who now thinks she's a race car driver. What really scared me was here at the 11:14 mark where she could've spun if going a tad bit faster. Even worse I could easily see some random kids on their bikes around that turn. These are public roads and it's game over for all. It's like I don't care of the drunk driver wants to kill themself, but don't bring anyone else along with you.

Whether it's Track Mode, Beast Mode or Apple Pie a la Mode, people do dumb things when they've unlocked some performance feature.

P.S. It would've been a good fap before I got scared.

I'll slowly raise my hand and say that I can see your POV. It's like what if all Tesla's drive in Chill Mode but then Performance Tesla's offer something called Standard. Everyone would say who in the hell would need to accelerate that fast! or that's dangerous and should only be available on a drag strip with special brakes! Maybe not quite the same but hopefully I'm close :)

I hear what you're saying but I just watched one of the most real life Track Mode scenarios and it scared the hell out of me.

Here's a real amateur youtuber showing off TM who now thinks she's a race car driver. What really scared me was here at the 11:14 mark where she could've spun if going a tad bit faster. Even worse I could easily see some random kids on their bikes around that turn. These are public roads and it's game over for all. It's like I don't care of the drunk driver wants to kill themself, but don't bring anyone else along with you.

Whether it's Track Mode, Beast Mode or Apple Pie a la Mode, people do dumb things when they've unlocked some performance feature.

P.S. It would've been a good fap before I got scared.

Yea, she's not very educated on what Track Mode does and with her lack of performance driving skills it would be dangerous. That said all modern sport sedans have the ability to let the rear end out in various levels of slippage with a push of a button. Standard in BMW, Audi, etc. It should absolutely be standard to have the ability to relax the nannies a bit on all Tesla. Just don't give it a flashy marketing name and put a marketing push out for it that'll cause people who don't know much about performance driving to try it.

Reactions: Perry

Putting track mode on a car with eco tires and 320mm rotors is not a good idea. Elon really started this whole mess when he conceded to the demands for a lower price P model and simply software unlocked the AWD and sold it as a P. If you were craving performance, you should have bought the performance upgrade. Putting track mode on the stealth P would be silly. Every other car maker has a performance upgrade that includes proper tires and brakes. What you're asking for makes no sense. And you can't say what about aftermarket parts, because that doesn't matter to Tesla, who develops their software based on OEM parts.

I think Tesla missed an opportunity (or created an opportunity for some enterprising individual).

If Tesla, or a third party had a Performance Driving School, like BMW has, then it could link Track Mode with completion of said class.

Not all of us are experienced in track driving. Driving fast on winding roads is not the same as driving on the track and is quite dangerous. Just ask Dany Heatley.

I'm hoping to finally get my P3D- back from servicing the delivery issues tomorrow. Maybe I will ask if they can refund me 11k and flash me to an AWD while I'm there. Or maybe I should point out, "hey it's missing the PUP, aren't you guys delivering these with PUP these days?" when pick it up. This is of course assuming they actually fixed it right, otherwise back to the shop it goes until they can delivery me a proper car... Pretty sure it's 30 days for a lemon buy back in California, so I might have that card riding for me.
Needling the guys at the SC who have no power to refund/reflash or retrofit PUP will do nothing for you. Seems you’d only option is, if you wNt to lemon it, keep sending back for legit issues if there are any. Until your 30 days is up. Youve got to decide what you really want. Can you?

I just like this comment because it reminds some that Performance cars had a premium price even before they had the additional cost for wheels, tires, etc,,, since that was the start of this historic thread

Now, don’t make that about non PUP. If it is really about 1 guy!!

There are @Perry ‘s everywhere.

Those guys would have turned on track mode the day the software downloaded.

Teen was driving 116 mph seconds before fiery crash that killed him and friend, NTSB says

Of course it wouldn’t of mattered if the car was PUP/Non PUP to them but opening up TM for anyone to turn on would be a disaster.

How is Tesla going to ensure the car has at least the right hardware?

By default 3P- is as well equipped as a 3MR when it comes to wheels, tires, braking, suspension, etc?

• Informative
Reactions: Jedi2155 and P85_DA
Putting track mode on a car with eco tires and 320mm rotors is not a good idea. Elon really started this whole mess when he conceded to the demands for a lower price P model and simply software unlocked the AWD and sold it as a P. If you were craving performance, you should have bought the performance upgrade. Putting track mode on the stealth P would be silly. Every other car maker has a performance upgrade that includes proper tires and brakes. What you're asking for makes no sense. And you can't say what about aftermarket parts, because that doesn't matter to Tesla, who develops their software based on OEM parts.
No he created this mess when he gave away the performance parts for free to everyone except a certain group of performance customers then further said track mode would come to all performance models but it didn't. This emplyies that P3D- is not a performance car. We should get, at minimum, the option to at least downgrade to AWD with a refund.

We just want to be treated the same as everyone else. We just want to see Elon actually do what he promised.

Keep in mind we paid the same 11k more that everyone else did and some people did so after the tweets.

Yea, she's not very educated on what Track Mode does and with her lack of performance driving skills it would be dangerous. That said all modern sport sedans have the ability to let the rear end out in various levels of slippage with a push of a button. Standard in BMW, Audi, etc. It should absolutely be standard to have the ability to relax the nannies a bit on all Tesla. Just don't give it a flashy marketing name and put a marketing push out for it that'll cause people who don't know much about performance driving to try it.
Exactly. I don't know what all the fuss is about this. Track mode should be made available at no cost for all performance models because... performance. Duh. It should be a moderately priced upgrade for lower trims which would have the knock on effect of generating additional revenue for Tesla.