Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Upgrade Price Change!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like my battles are coming to a close - I just got this:

Hello Roy,

Thank you for contacting Tesla customer support. Your refund has been fully processes and a check has been issued to you on 1/9. It can take 30-60 days for you to receive it. Have a wonderful day!

Best regards,
Tesla Customer Supprot

This is about a $50K Roadster reservation refund, because I'm not getting a $5K refund (or anything else) out of this Performance Model 3 pricing mess - which we've taken to 147 pages! :)

Tesla stayed stubborn. I stayed stubborn. So no new Roadster from Tesla - maybe a used one at some point...
Not sure why it takes 30-60 days after check issuance, but so be it... (Sure beats the 60-90 days they stated first!)
I pointed out to them that some Performance Model 3 refunds took only 2 weeks.

Inquiring minds want to know why not? They refused to refund the 5k for FUSC?

Why aren't you getting the $5k refund? (Is it because you refuse to give up FUSC?)
Yup, I was one of those early buyers who got suckered into "buy NOW and get FUSC!"

So I consider the FUSC as part of my contract and not up for negotiation or trade - you know, one of the old "double-FUSC'rs" (because EVERYONE got gifted FUSC later.)

So it goes.... One fewer Roadster to be made... Like I said, I'm stubborn. :)
But no worries, many YouTubers are getting double and triple Roadsters gifted, so they still have plenty to make! :confused:

Btw. I was a very early, very trusting, buyer of the Model 3 - pulled the trigger on the Performance 3 w\o PUP.
Sorry Tesla, trust is gone. :( But hey, they got over a year's worth of interest on my $50K...

Yup, I was one of those early buyers who got suckered into "buy NOW and get FUSC!"

So I consider the FUSC as part of my contract and not up for negotiation or trade - you know, one of the old "double-FUSC'rs" (because EVERYONE got gifted FUSC later.)

But no worries, many YouTubers are getting double and triple Roadsters gifted, so they still have plenty to make! :confused:

Btw. I was a very early, very trusting, buyer of the Model 3 - pulled the trigger on the Performance 3 w\o PUP.
Sorry Tesla, trust is gone. :( But hey, they got over a year's worth of interest on my $50K...
Good call. History will likely repeat itself. Buyers will forgo the SpaceX Hover Package for $25k, then Tesla will offer it for free a few months later :)

Reactions: Roys3

Looks like you needed a reason to convince yourself, more power to you. I always thought the Double FUSC was just a joke, not that anyone thought they were entitled to a "Double dose" of FUSC. Since that makes no sense. So you want to keep FUSC, and get your 5k, that's pretty much having your cake and eat it too. Like you say, no worries. Tesla can only handle so many unreasonable customers.

Looks like you needed a reason to convince yourself, more power to you. I always thought the Double FUSC was just a joke, not that anyone thought they were entitled to a "Double dose" of FUSC. Since that makes no sense. So you want to keep FUSC, and get your 5k, that's pretty much having your cake and eat it too. Like you say, no worries. Tesla can only handle so many unreasonable customers.

I really don't get it at all. You just can't make everybody happy.
1. Tesla offers the P3D+ for $69K and the P3D- for $64K with FUSC if ordered before September 15.
2. Tesla drops the price of the P3D+ to $64K and removes the P3D- as an option. (No FUSC offered)
3. Tesla offers FUSC to anybody who bought the car prior to the price drop.
4. Tesla offers $5K in exchange for FUSC to all P3D buyers with FUSC.

If you bought it early, you get the FUSC or the discount. If you bought it later, you get the discount. It is your choice! Everybody should be thrilled!

There was never a double FUSC. In fact, if you ordered early, FUSC was not even advertised as a benefit. FUSC was originally offered to either those that placed their order prior to August 1st or those who used a referral prior to September 15th. You might have been "promised" FUSC when you ordered, but you were also never promised a refund in case of a future price change.

Remember, keeping the FUSC is probably a terrible decision for 97% of the population. Place the $5K in a stock index fund.(or TSLA) Withdraw a set amount to pay for your supercharging needs. Even if you use 2000 kWh in CA annually, this fund would last 17-18 years.

Reactions: tomas and whatthe2
Don't be upset guys. I'm not. I was upset for quite a while, but now I feel good that I'm out. It's nice to just sit back and watch developments, and strike at a used Roadster when the time is right. I learned from Tesla that reserving early and buying (biting) at their early carrots is stressful and financially stupid.

Obviously there is no real "double FUSC". It's a made-up term to help describe a particular situation (someone else called it "Indian Giving"). - You know like: "Have we got a limited-time special deal for you!" - then suddenly everyone gets the same deal - then, in order to not get gypped on "the new" price, you need to give up your "special deal".

Of course "you can't please everyone". Only MY trust in Tesla Admin gone. You all should keep yours.
Tesla just lost one Roadster sale. Who cares? (Tesla obviously doesn't.) Nobody NEEDS a Roadster. (Tesla gives 'em away like hotcakes anyway. Maybe I'll buy one of the surplus "free" ones.)

From my perspective Tesla screwed up (a bunch of times actually), but not my problem anymore...

PS: If all this is "unreasonable", then I'll take the epithet. "Roy The Unreasonable" :D "Vines the......"

Last edited:
Reactions: Big City
Speaking of the referral program, can someone full in the gaps for me? The program has prizes from 1-5 referrals in the lootbox. #3 seems to be the most valuable by far if you have an S or X. So what happens starting at 6? And how many to get a free roadster?

Speaking of the referral program, can someone full in the gaps for me? The program has prizes from 1-5 referrals in the lootbox. #3 seems to be the most valuable by far if you have an S or X. So what happens starting at 6? And how many to get a free roadster?
Not sure about the specifics but Tesla is gifting away over 50 of the $250,000 Roadsters so far.
This site compiles the "giftees": Top Tesla referrers from the Tesla referral program
Many have "won" multiple Roadsters. Nice to get $ 1/2 million value for a YouTube channel (or lots of rich friends buying Teslas).

PS: Just checked: 55 referrals gets you a Roadster. Many have "won" 3. The top guy is on his way to 6. Crazy, huh? Tesla is weird...

Last edited:
Not sure about the specifics but Tesla is gifting away over 50 of the $250,000 Roadsters so far.
This site compiles the "giftees": Top Tesla referrers from the Tesla referral program
Many have "won" multiple Roadsters. Nice to get $ 1/2 million value for a YouTube channel (or lots of rich friends buying Teslas).

PS: Just checked: 55 referrals gets you a Roadster. Many have "won" 3. The top guy is on his way to 6. Crazy, huh? Tesla is weird...
No, tesla is smart.

How much do you think Chevy spent on their ”real people not actors” campaign between producing the commercials and buying the tv ad spots?

No, tesla is smart.

How much do you think Chevy spent on their ”real people not actors” campaign between producing the commercials and buying the tv ad spots?
Depends on your target audience I guess. You may be right.
I can't judge this one because I never saw that Chevy campaign, and I never watched the guy with the 6 gifted Roadsters ( Andy Slye ) until I saw him on top of that list.
Still feels weird...

So I've been working with Tesla on the retrofit option for P3D stealth owners for a couple months now. I spoke with the rep today and got final word that unfortunately HQ will not be providing any path for a retrofit of our cars.

We also discussed trade in as an option however he felt the likelihood of getting a good price for the existing car right now isn't good. Would be better to sell private party.

This is very disappointing news for many I am sure. If you were holding out for retrofit I suggest not waiting any longer and grab your refund while you still can.

I really don't get it. Tesla refuses to sell rotors, calipers, and other components? How can that be? Aren't they available as replacement parts?

Not really.

That's why there's folks who make a pretty good living just buying salvage/wrecked Teslas and parting them out to folks wanting to modify or repair their own Teslas.

I've been saying for a while they're not going to offer a retrofit for the P- it would make 0 sense given the amount of both parts and labor involved- and doubly so when the service centers are increasingly backed up with "real" repairs and vehicle corrections to make... (and the HW3 retrofits they'll be doing soon, though ideally rangers can handle those)

That wasn't my question. I don't doubt that they won't do it for free. Much easier to refund $5k. Parts should be available for some price through service though, wheels certainly are, rotors are a wear item, so they must be as well. A damaged caliper can't be replaced? So the car is totaled?