Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Petition to demand "camera on top, media player on bottom" be retained in UI

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe we need to consider that they ADDED some really useful functionality in V9 (even for non-AP). There are times when we need to sacrifice a few legacy features in the name of progress... aka 'Missile Command'.

That's only if the sacrifice is related to the benefits. They could have EASILY done both -- improved the UI without taking away features, AND added all the good stuff they did add.

That's only if the sacrifice is related to the benefits. They could have EASILY done both -- improved the UI without taking away features, AND added all the good stuff they did add.
Not to mention real and easy improvements like tabbed browsing. I'd love to have 3 browser windows open/active even if only 1 can be displayed at a time.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
Not to mention real and easy improvements like tabbed browsing. I'd love to have 3 browser windows open/active even if only 1 can be displayed at a time.
On MCU1 and 8.1, the browser is so uselessly slow for many sites (even TMC) that maybe multiple tabs would let you start loading a 2nd or 3rd webpage while you wait the 30-60 seconds for the first page to load ;)
Is the browser on MCU1 with V9 any faster?

Reactions: HankLloydRight

Dude... Elon gives you Missile Command and you have the gall to complain about App positions and rear view cameras?

<Elon, if you're reading this, I apologize on behalf of all humans for our misguided complaints about usability and safety. Missile Command... you're doing God's work. Thank you!>

Dude... Elon gives you Missile Command and you have the gall to complain about App positions and rear view cameras?

<Elon, if you're reading this, I apologize on behalf of all humans for our misguided complaints about usability and safety. Missile Command... you're doing God's work. Thank you!>

Well, if Elon gave us Pole Position then we'd be cool

Yes, but with actual steering wheel control.

I know it's possible, because a Delorean owner I know did it in his car.

b7026fe095e2326a1513ebcc1ff0891e.jpg

Reactions: tizio
On MCU1 and 8.1, the browser is so uselessly slow for many sites (even TMC) that maybe multiple tabs would let you start loading a 2nd or 3rd webpage while you wait the 30-60 seconds for the first page to load ;)
Is the browser on MCU1 with V9 any faster?
I don't know if it is faster or not.

But that is somewhat my point. If we had multiple tabs for example, I'd be OK with them taking 30-60 seconds to load (and auto-load) in the background. So I can choose ABRB, TeslaWinds, TeslaWaze, and TeslaWeather (or others) and be a tab away from current info.

I have not yet received V9 in my 2013 Model S. Based on everything I've heard/read, I will delay installation once I get the push. My standard driving mode is Camera on Top, Media on Bottom (occasionally maps or energy on bottom).

I agree that the UI design seems to be moving toward a "full self-driving" future, which completely leaves out those of us with non-AP2 cars. I can understand the need to migrate that direction in general, but it's disappointing that features for the ~50,000 pre-AP2 cars are having features deprecated in the process, with no real gain in usability for us.

All cars should be considered when it comes to their software development. They need to budget for it and not kick the loyal early adopters in the nuts over saving a few dollars. How many developers would they need to have on staff to support software development for the classic Teslas?

I didn't pay for FSD and probably never will handover the $10K for it, so I would be happier if they stopped updating my car at 8.1, or at least gave me the option to update. v8.1 was pretty mature and did everything I needed... maybe fix the java vm and I'm good.... I played the Atari games about 10mins... I'm done with those... the avatars bouncing off my car in the instrument cluster are more distracting than helpful... and TeslaWaze provides a lot more useful information than the Tesla map

My God, this is making me sound like a cranky old man :eek:

Last edited:

I'm pretty sure the v9 design meeting went something like this;

Jr. UX Designer: I think a lot of the S/X guys like to drive with the top rear cam always on. Do you think they'll get upset if we take it away?

UX Design Manager: Trying to accommodate that top cam is going screw up the 3 inspired design consistency. Besides, the cam on my 3 sucks so bad, it barely gets me out of the driveway. I'd never drive with it always on.

Elon: Simple psychology solution. We'll replace Functionality with FUNtionality. Everyone loves Missile Command and Unicorn Farts. <head nod / team applause>

UX Design Manager: Oh Elon, you're always turning it up to 11 aren't you. Problem solved.

Jr. UX Designer: But, uh...

Elon: We need to move forward. Whiners gonna whine.

Last edited:
I agree with most comments that they should allow the driver to chose whatever 2 apps they want running on the main screen. The needs of drivers change based on if they are driving locally, on a road trip, or navigating congestion so a good UI should adapt by HELPING the driver select what is important than FORCE the driver to use a set rigid UI that might make sense in some situations but not others.

Overall I like the new UI except for this inability to decide what I want on the screen at a given time.

That makes no sense to me. Sorry.

I agree! The idea of "full self driving" is that the occupants don't ever need to interface with the car or the nav or the route. It's simply "take me from point A to point B" in the most efficient manner possible. Once you require the occupants to interaface with the nav/map, it's no longer "FULL SELF DRIVING".

It seems like Telsa is hedging their bets in that the occupants still need to see a Nav map to confirm where they're going. I'm sorry, but to me that fails the "Full Self Driving" test.

Either you are FSD or you aren't. There's no in between.

how will FSD know where to go without you telling it where to go? That's what he's saying, you're going to need a way to input the destination into the interface.

Yes, inputting the destination is required when you start the journey. But that's it. Once that is input, there is absolutely no need for a Nav map on the display, since the car is supposed to know where it's going.

This seems to be a huge disconnect between the FSD/Autonomous group and the UI group who for some reason thinks that the Nav display is required for FSD. Major FAIL for Tesla IMHO.

how will FSD know where to go without you telling it where to go? That's what he's saying, you're going to need a way to input the destination into the interface. :rolleyes:
Where versus how. I buy an airline ticket. I don't file a flight plan.
When I fly New York to Tokyo, I probably (I never actually look) go over northern Alaska and the Kamchatka Peninsula. It never strikes me odd that the pilot never asks me if it's OK about routing options. Likewise, FSD (which I will trust to not put me in a fatal accident) should easily be able to pick a "good enough" route without me having to study route, distance, projected traffic, construction, expected delays, etc.
I don't mean to be a jerk about this, but I'm really confused as to why FSD promotes the use of Nav and maps instead of deprecating it.