Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Petition to demand "camera on top, media player on bottom" be retained in UI

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You also can't see the camera if the overcharge or software update nags are on the screen. The navigation also blocks it if you put it in reverse while it's figuring out what route to take.
This is actually what I wrote to them:
I noticed today that if the car is in reverse and the camera is showing while backing, any change in the display will remove the camera popup. So for example you press the app icon or do something with the music. I find this to be unsatisfactory and a safety issue. I think if the car is in reverse the rear camera should ALWAYS display.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
For all ot those in this thread that hate V9 - what is the current status? I’m still on V8, but now that AP dropped in price, I’m tempted to buy it, but that certainly involves a software upgrade.

For all ot those in this thread that hate V9 - what is the current status? I’m still on V8, but now that AP dropped in price, I’m tempted to buy it, but that certainly involves a software upgrade.

Pretty much the same as it was no noticeable improvement other than those already noted. V9 is very glitchy. Would still much prefer having version 8 back again. Just for note my car 2012 S 85

I downloaded version 9 last week and ive been miserable ever since...8 looks so much better and felt more accessible and easy to navigate. 9 is just a cluttered mess with smaller icons to press while driving. My voice command takes 10 second to load up and the only benefit so far is being able to warm my seats and steering wheel remotely. Wish there was a way to get 8 back :(

I never got used to V8 because I only got my car back in Sept 2018 and it updated not long after that, but as long as it has been on V9 the MCU feels like it struggles to be smooth on anything you do, like it is totally underpowered to display what it does. Even just scrolling though radio stations in a list it is very glitchy, in fact the vertical scrolling on a 1982 Commodore 64 computer was smoother! Was V8 ever like this or has all this come about since V9?

• Love
I never got used to V8 because I only got my car back in Sept 2018 and it updated not long after that, but as long as it has been on V9 the MCU feels like it struggles to be smooth on anything you do, like it is totally underpowered to display what it does. Even just scrolling though radio stations in a list it is very glitchy, in fact the vertical scrolling on a 1982 Commodore 64 computer was smoother! Was V8 ever like this or has all this come about since V9?
I have a 2015 build still on V8. I only see lag in areas with poor connectivity, and then only when manually scrolling the map. Everything else is snappy and smooth.

Have you ever used a car with V9 in it as a comparison? When scrolling through lists it feels like a very underpowered or low on RAM computer. I don't use the Nav much in the car, I prefer to just use Google Maps on my phone as I've been using it for years.

Don't do it -- Tesla dropped the AP/FSD price to trick the last few v8 holdouts into tapping the "Install" button.

BTW, I've been on v9 since the roll out and have almost forgotten Tesla once had a good UI for the Model S/X, so it doesn't seem like it sucks as bad as it did last year

V
V9 works fine on my car — it is smooth and quick.

Do you still have an older 3G MCU? My newer LTE MCU was a huge improvement over the old one and it handles V9 very well.

• Disagree
Reactions: GreenT
How many of you would update to V9 to get ~25% faster Supercharging? (I'm just making a guess.)

I may do it for AP, but no, faster Supercharging wouldn't do it. I've only supercharged 8 times since I've had my car - once to make sure it worked (I took delivery during the charge port issues) and 7 times on one trip. Only one of those stops was I ready to go before the car was, so faster charging would have saved me about 10 minutes in my life so far.

If supercharging was something I frequently did, it might be a different story.

Don't do it -- Tesla dropped the AP/FSD price to trick the last few v8 holdouts into tapping the "Install" button.

BTW, I've been on v9 since the roll out and have almost forgotten Tesla once had a good UI for the Model S/X, so it doesn't seem like it sucks as bad as it did last year
True story: I had a new pair of boots back when doing I was doing field work. They really seemed to pinch and bind. It was surprisingly painful, but by the end of the day I wasn't consciously registering the pain anymore. When I got back to the room and took the boots off, I had a pretty obvious snake bite on my leg. That was when I learned I could get used to anything.
A couple of decades later, and the top icons on my center screen started auto-hiding. I still ain't used to that.

True story: I had a new pair of boots back when doing I was doing field work. They really seemed to pinch and bind. It was surprisingly painful, but by the end of the day I wasn't consciously registering the pain anymore. When I got back to the room and took the boots off, I had a pretty obvious snake bite on my leg. That was when I learned I could get used to anything.
A couple of decades later, and the top icons on my center screen started auto-hiding. I still ain't used to that.

On V8 the icons on top of the screen only "auto hide" when running NAV on the top half of the screen..

• Informative