Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom Braking - Fixed.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Autopilot doesn’t PB when passing other cars and semis now, so definitely some improvement there.

I wonder if they fixed the issue where the car would drift into the right turn lane on two lane roads when a right turn lane appears suddenly…

Kind of an aside to the post, but on topic. PB is a concern of mine as I wait for my first Tesla, as I have lots of two-lane, winding roads where I live. But: does anyone know if there're any documented accidents caused by phantom breaking?
In general, PB isn’t dangerous, at least not directly so, it’s just extremely annoying and aggravating. I’ve had PB events that range from 1-2MPH up/down to 20+ MPH at varying intensities. Where the ‘danger‘ comes in is if your car is on a road with traffic behind you and suddenly slows 15 MPH. At best everyone gets annoyed, at worst, someone rear ends you or it causes a chain reaction slow down and someone else gets rear ended further back. The Defenders of Elon will exclaim that it’s the job of the person behind you to pay attention and if they rear end you it’s their fault, and they’d technically be correct, however needlessly slowing down on an interstate, driving less than 45 (in good weather) and brake checking are all illegal, so their point can be debated and regardless, the unnecessary slow down caused the issue.

Thankfully, the vast majority of PB events are relatively minor and at worst lead to you getting the bird from the angry driver behind you.

I’m on 2022.4.5.21 and PB *seems* to be improving but I haven’t been driving much lately to really judge. From others’ reports, later versions of the software are definitely better so it seems that Tesla is improving the system, which is good news for all of us.

I will say that two lane roads are worse than wider roads and winding roads are intrinsically more difficult for any adaptive cruise system to manage so your situation is ‘high risk’ as it were, but there’s a ton of variability in experiences and the software is also changing so I’d just take a wait and see approach.
What do you mean by standard software? Get out of beta?
Yes - one of the benefits of being in the FSD beta program is that you get fewer updates and in general have to wait longer for fixes because the only updates you get are the FSD ones. It’s the price we pay for being valuable sources of data!

Attachments

• D9969ECD-6214-413D-BF81-4AD303E580DA.jpeg
    D9969ECD-6214-413D-BF81-4AD303E580DA.jpeg
    131.2 KB · Views: 81
Autopilot doesn’t PB when passing other cars and semis now, so definitely some improvement there.

I wonder if they fixed the issue where the car would drift into the right turn lane on two lane roads when a right turn lane appears suddenly…
2022.12.3 -- passing semi trucks has improved. I still have PB in one frequently traveled portion of a highway near me that the car slows about 10 mph. I am always ready, and anticipate it. Never did figure out why it does it in that particular spot. As far as drifting to the right when an on coming ramp merges, mine still does it. I still have a slight problem on right hand corners as the car want to follow the apex of the curve. It doesn't cross the line, but it does make me a little nervous - especially when a guard rail is involved.

2022.12.3 -- passing semi trucks has improved. I still have PB in one frequently traveled portion of a highway near me that the car slows about 10 mph. I am always ready, and anticipate it. Never did figure out why it does it in that particular spot. As far as drifting to the right when an on coming ramp merges, mine still does it. I still have a slight problem on right hand corners as the car want to follow the apex of the curve. It doesn't cross the line, but it does make me a little nervous - especially when a guard rail is involved.
The drifting‘s been a problem forever. Well, not really a problem, more of a mild annoyance. The algorithm simply tries to center the car in the lane so when the new lane merges from the right the car suddenly thinks the lane is a lot wider. Supposedly the FSD team is working on better lane vectoring so that may fix it but in the mean time it’s a pretty minor issue.

I drove from Ohio to NC today, 3 inappropriate braking events while in TACC/AS (I have FSD but was not using it). All occurred when someone was merging onto the highway and for one reason or another I had to be in the right lane. Despite the onus being on the other vehicle to merge into traffic, my MS LR 2022 on 2022.12.3.2 would brake hard apparently to allow these other vehicles to enter in front of me. This was inappropriate as the vehicles had not yet reached highway speed and expected me to pass and to get in behind me. IMO this behavior of hard braking to essentially yield to merging vehicles is not natural and would tend to cause accidents rather than prevent them.

Interesting to know. I have a radar 2021 LR and got phantom braking after the 12.3.2 update. Never had an issue before and now got a phantom braking at least once on my 70 miles round trip commute.

Have to agree, I'm on 2022.8.3 and it's 99% better. I had a 2 lane road as part of my commute where it would 100% phantom brake when passing an 18-wheeler. I went on a 180 mile roundtrip a couple weeks ago. It was mostly two lane highways, including the commute stretch, and it never PB'd when passing rigs. I only had a single PB event, when the car slowed down without need as the road dipped down/decline.

I've started to regularly use TACC and Autopilot now and have nearly lost all my PTSD/puckering reflex when passing traffic.
(2022.8.3 and it's 99% better)

I just install my GEN 3 wall charger ... MYLR not delivered yet
(1) How Can I check if it's 2022.8.3 ?
(2) or Do I have to wait UNTIL I have my car to check/update software?

Thanks

(2022.8.3 and it's 99% better)

I just install my GEN 3 wall charger ... MYLR not delivered yet
(1) How Can I check if it's 2022.8.3 ?
(2) or Do I have to wait UNTIL I have my car to check/update software?

Thanks
It’s like getting a new phone - you get whatever software version they happen to be loading when they build your car. There’s no way to find out ahead of time; you get what you get. After you get your car the system will update but it updates on its own schedule. No one knows how Tesla decides which cars get updated when, but it’s out of your control.

It’s like getting a new phone - you get whatever software version they happen to be loading when they build your car. There’s no way to find out ahead of time; you get what you get. After you get your car the system will update but it updates on its own schedule. No one knows how Tesla decides which cars get updated when, but it’s out of your control.
Lol out of your control for sure