Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom Braking / Slowdowns

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd suggest "Phantom Slowdowns" to be more accurate.
Regardless of nomenclature it is always surprising, colossally annoying, and generates WTF moments for every passenger/pet in the vehicle. Hate it, and my 2018 Model 3 continues to “feature” this despite well over one hundred software updates since new. And neither of my non-Tesla EVs have ever done this, whatever you call “this.”

Can a moderator please change the title to "Phantom Braking" NOT "Phantom Breaking"?

I liked the original topic. I couldn't get out of my head an image of the Phantom breaking…

Phantom breaking.png

Regardless of nomenclature it is always surprising, colossally annoying, and generates WTF moments for every passenger/pet in the vehicle. Hate it, and my 2018 Model 3 continues to “feature” this despite well over one hundred software updates since new. And neither of my non-Tesla EVs have ever done this, whatever you call “this.”

Try the"Current Speed" setting for TACC rather than "Speed Limit"

Exactly. Calling it “slowdowns” is mealy-mouthed wordplay trying to diminish its significance and impact. Oh, it’s just a “slowdown”, that makes it alright then 🙄. Move along, nothing to see here. Ask your passengers if they agree with that assessment when it happens 🤬

And I can tell you, what happened to me in the Rozelle Interchange a few months ago, when my car thought I was about to slam into a surface-street T-intersection at speed, was NOT a “slowdown”. It was a damn-right scary and dangerous application of full-on braking.

Having said that, my recent road-trip to Brisbane was much more pleasurable due to far fewer incidents of phantom braking under the latest software. I had only 1-2 each way, compared to a dozen or more going to Melbourne and back in Feb.

My experience has been that the "deceleration" from events like this was more than the deceleration from just full regen braking. This is obviously very subjective as the startle effect from something like this may augment the perception of deceleration. I have no information if brake pads were also activated.

Exactly. Calling it “slowdowns” is mealy-mouthed wordplay trying to diminish its significance and impact. Oh, it’s just a “slowdown”, that makes it alright then 🙄. Move along, nothing to see here. Ask your passengers if they agree with that assessment when it happens 🤬
Not at all, just that 'braking' implies use of the brake and in most cases full ABS lockup, which as I described I've experienced in a number of radar based vehicles and is a completely different experience (and much more dangerous).

I think it is VERY important to separate the two, as a slow down which is what people are talking about with Tesla 99.99% of the time is a very different and less significant experience.

Reactions: dronus
Not at all, just that 'braking' implies use of the brake and in most cases full ABS lockup, which as I described I've experienced in a number of radar based vehicles and is a completely different experience (and much more dangerous).

I think it is VERY important to separate the two, as a slow down which is what people are talking about with Tesla 99.99% of the time is a very different and less significant experience.
I was driving a newish Toyota Prado back from the mid north not that long ago, its version of TACC engaged.. Sweeping right hand bend in the road doing 110ish with a road train up my clacker, a car appears on the foot of a t intersection to my left on the bend. Anyone that has driven back from Roxby Downs knows about how brutal those roads are, and how dangerous it can be.

Anyway, the Prado thinks that the car waiting at the T intersection for me (and the road train) to pass is in the way as im assuming it has no idea where the road goes, just whats in front of its radar... So it does the most dangerous thing you could possibly do in that situation... it locks the brakes up and pretty much handed me up to my fate of between (ironically) t boning the waiting car, or getting minced by a road train.

I had no control of the Prado, and the road train behind me layed on the airhorn and swerved to to the right to miss my rapidly decelerating puckerbus. The Prado hit the dirt verge which i just assumed was going to be the last living memory i was going to have and then let go of the brakes.

Ive been thru some scarey stuff before but that was terrifying. I obviously survived, but ill never use the TACC (i think its called adaptive cruise control?) in that prado, or a toyota in general again.

Long story short, its not just Tesla with issues, and i reakon that maybe if the Prado had some kind of vision it could have made a different decision in regards to where the road is, dunno, dont care im never trusting that until i hear its evolved heaps.

Reactions: Onshore and Jules22
I was driving a newish Toyota Prado back from the mid north not that long ago, its version of TACC engaged.. Sweeping right hand bend in the road doing 110ish with a road train up my clacker, a car appears on the foot of a t intersection to my left on the bend. Anyone that has driven back from Roxby Downs knows about how brutal those roads are, and how dangerous it can be.

Anyway, the Prado thinks that the car waiting at the T intersection for me (and the road train) to pass is in the way as im assuming it has no idea where the road goes, just whats in front of its radar... So it does the most dangerous thing you could possibly do in that situation... it locks the brakes up and pretty much handed me up to my fate of between (ironically) t boning the waiting car, or getting minced by a road train.

I had no control of the Prado, and the road train behind me layed on the airhorn and swerved to to the right to miss my rapidly decelerating puckerbus. The Prado hit the dirt verge which i just assumed was going to be the last living memory i was going to have and then let go of the brakes.

Ive been thru some scarey stuff before but that was terrifying. I obviously survived, but ill never use the TACC (i think its called adaptive cruise control?) in that prado, or a toyota in general again.

Long story short, its not just Tesla with issues, and i reakon that maybe if the Prado had some kind of vision it could have made a different decision in regards to where the road is, dunno, dont care im never trusting that until i hear its evolved heaps.
Yeah couldn't be more different to a slight slow down which you can easily control.

That's why I think we should be clear which we are talking about.

I don't know what this say's about my relationship with my wife after 55 years of marriage but after numerous 'slowdowns/braking events' last weekend, she demanded I don't use Autopilot and drive the vehicle myself.

Maybe what this actually means is that semi autonomous driving is still a way off yet.
:confused:

Yeah couldn't be more different to a slight slow down which you can easily control.

That's why I think we should be clear which we are talking about.

Tend to agree. Two quite different things.

1 The car gently wiping off 10kph because it thinks something sketchy is ahead

vs

2 Full balls-out emergency braking. I have had this while passing a cyclist in the next lane about 2 metres away. And another time when a pedestrian ran across the road. He stopped in the centre line, but the car hit the anchors anyway. The car is very "anxious" in these cases, probably overly so.

In relation to case 1, does anyone watch those Dashcam Australia compilations. So many (human) drivers plough onwards full steam ahead, despite obviously sketchy stuff going on ahead of them. Wiping off 10 doesn't even occur to them as a good idea.

Reactions: dronus and Jules22