Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m also a little leery about covering the accelerator: the instant and powerful torque of an EV even with an accidental touch can cause more problems than it solves. Covering brakes isn’t so much of an issue - the guy behind would get any blame!

If you put the slightest pressure on the go faster pedal (while in cruise) when passing hgv’s, just enough to let the car know you are aware & it doesn’t brake.
So basically driving through the brakes & wearing pads down quicker. It’s the one part of getting my M3 next week I am not looking forward to. I hate the adaptive cruise in my lease VW Passat, lane assist & auto wipers are also crap imo

So basically driving through the brakes & wearing pads down quicker. It’s the one part of getting my M3 next week I am not looking forward to. I hate the adaptive cruise in my lease VW Passat, lane assist & auto wipers are also crap imo
I'm sure the brakes disengage when you accelerate. And anyway - you'll never use them other wise :)

No not driving through the brakes!
Applying the slightest pressure to the accelerator tells the car “it’s ok no need to brake”.
Similar with undertaking, the car will not undertake (there maybe a speed limit to this) until you apply slight pressure to the accelerator telling the car “it’s ok to undertake”.
This typically happens when the outer lane slows but your lane continues faster.

Reactions: Rustybkts and init6
I don’t think the M3 will ever allow you to apply power and brake at the same time. The slightest brush on the brake pedal with the side of your foot when applying power - reasonably easy to do if you have big feet and are wearing boots - produces alarm noises and on screen warnings. I’m sure any automatic application of brakes will remove power and vice versa.

Reactions: Yachtsman
I'm sure the brakes disengage when you accelerate. And anyway - you'll never use them other wise :)
Cheers, I barely used my brakes on my previous car anyway. Just this daft adaptive cruise. What gets me is the fact it tells me close windows or don’t have engine running while sitting still for better fuel economy…. then starts hitting the brakes all the time causing me to have to accelerate thereby using more damn fuel in the Passat lol.
I’ve always driven looking at cars 3-5 vehicles in front so easing off the accelerator generally works fine. I had 60k out of a set of pads on my old 320d BMW.
Any reason Tesla don’t use the regen to slow when using TACC? There’s no need to slam brakes on at all if you look ahead, for the most part.

No not driving through the brakes!
Applying the slightest pressure to the accelerator tells the car “it’s ok no need to brake”.
Similar with undertaking, the car will not undertake (there maybe a speed limit to this) until you apply slight pressure to the accelerator telling the car “it’s ok to undertake”.
This typically happens when the outer lane slows but your lane continues faster.
Thx for clarifying. I’m not a convert to adaptive cruise at all. I think it makes drivers lazy & less aware.

I took my very first fearful and tentative steps to using it recently. In queuing traffic on a motorway it’s a sheer joy. Try to use it on urban streets, where you’re not meant to, it’s a white knuckle ride lol, even tried some of the beta steering and that was interesting too. I used it on an urban motorway and was as scared as I was impressed.

I love my M3LR though and it’ll only get better.

Reactions: debrooker and init6
My first long trip in the car yesterday, Salisbury/Huntingdon/Salisbury, 360 miles.
Going up it was motorway all the way, TACC all the time and no issues whatsoever, not one phantom application of the brakes.
Average of 245wh/mile.
Returning, after the DAS module failure and neither TACC or Sat Nav I used 268wh/mile, probably because my acceleration is a bit more vigorous than the TACC.
Almost 6.5 hours in the car, no aches or pains, it is a really comfortable place to be.
Cheap, too. I spent £15 or so "re-filling the tank!"

Reactions: Yachtsman and init6
It is regen unless a sudden stop is required. Regen is capable of very hard speed reduction right to a stop. It makes for very relaxed driving and it can be weeks without me using the brake at all.
So if it’s regen what’s the ghost braking everyone is on about?
As I said in my OP I am not a fan of adaptive cruise at all anyway. I’d rather have control over my own brakes than some sensor determining it lol. I’d be quite happy if manufacturers dropped all the electronic aids for a price reduction personally. I also think the driving test should be stricter & more police be on the road rather than reliance on cameras too though.
The number of accidents, traffic jams etc is equal to the amount of selfish prats who won’t move over after overtaking in UK imo😈

Only had my car a few days but obviously tried the tacc on the motorway. First time using it did brake hard while in the fast lane. I was doing 70mph and a lorry moved right next to or just on the line of my lane......the car hard braked and scared the absolute life out of me. I know its a safety feature but not when you're in the fast lane and the lorry instantly moved over anyway. The car was probably about 50 feet behind so not even that close.

I like cruise control, but not sure I'll use it if TACC does that to be honest.

Only had my car a few days but obviously tried the tacc on the motorway. First time using it did brake hard while in the fast lane. I was doing 70mph and a lorry moved right next to or just on the line of my lane......the car hard braked and scared the absolute life out of me. I know its a safety feature but not when you're in the fast lane and the lorry instantly moved over anyway. The car was probably about 50 feet behind so not even that close.

I like cruise control, but not sure I'll use it if TACC does that to be honest.
You can get around this by applying slight pressure on the throttle when passing lorries in an adjacent lane if you are finding this is a common issue for you.

Also don't change lanes from 3 to 2 if this is putting yourself alongside a lorry in lane 1. Changing lanes into HGV blind spots is poor driving anyway in my view, but expect to be punished with a nice braking event if you do try it!

You can get around this by applying slight pressure on the throttle when passing lorries in an adjacent lane if you are finding this is a common issue for you.

Also don't change lanes from 3 to 2 if this is putting yourself alongside a lorry in lane 1. Changing lanes into HGV blind spots is poor driving anyway in my view, but expect to be punished with a nice braking event if you do try it!
thanks for the tips. I agree about the blind spot. In this case I was just overtaking the lorry, that was there as we got closer, it just so happened the lorry got a bit too close to our lane that made the car brake hard.

Seems a bit touchy, I guess on overtakes I could slightly keep the foot down just to over ride it.

thanks for the tips. I agree about the blind spot. In this case I was just overtaking the lorry, that was there as we got closer, it just so happened the lorry got a bit too close to our lane that made the car brake hard.

Seems a bit touchy, I guess on overtakes I could slightly keep the foot down just to over ride it.
I had exactly the same yesterday, HGV in lane 1, me moving from 3 to 2, massive and completely unnecessary phantom brake. Covering the accelerator is not a solution, there's no way you could react in time. It's bad implementation of a system that other car makers have got down pat - just like auto wipers and auto lamps. The fact that people rush to the defence of the system by telling us i. it's really not that bad (hello? 75-45 in lane 3?); ii.we're driving badly (oh, that'll be it...); iii. you can override it (if you're Commander Data maybe); iv. you don't understand how to drive a Tesla (shouldnt it be like.. er... a car?); v. it's not TACC/NoA/FSD but AEB implementation (as if that matters?It's doing it when it shouldnt); and vi. you're in the wrong mindset for a Tesla (yes!! I'm mad as hell!) just shows there are some about who are so devoted that they cant see any flaws in their beloved...
Contrary to what the above may suggest I like my Tesla. But as is obvious, it also makes my blood boil.

Reactions: Stranger Dings
it's not TACC/NoA/FSD but AEB implementation (as if that matters?It's doing it when it shouldnt);
It matters if you switch off TACC thinking you'll never get the issue again. Or maybe switching off AEB will let you use TACC without issue.

Also, not everyone gets the same problems with their car - including phantom braking. Almost every thread in the forum will have some people having an issue and others not.

So if it’s regen what’s the ghost braking everyone is on about?
As I said in my OP I am not a fan of adaptive cruise at all anyway. I’d rather have control over my own brakes than some sensor determining it lol. I’d be quite happy if manufacturers dropped all the electronic aids for a price reduction personally. I also think the driving test should be stricter & more police be on the road rather than reliance on cameras too though.
The number of accidents, traffic jams etc is equal to the amount of selfish prats who won’t move over after overtaking in UK imo😈
So having had the car for a couple of days I can say the TACC is definitely better than VW adaptive cruise. I’m also really happy that you can switch the lane assist off & it stays off unlike VW. Pretty impressed so far.

I'm really looking forward to having an adaptive cruise control that doesn't pass on the wrong side on motorways. That's the main annoyance I have with the DRCC on my Prius (which to be fair, is working exactly as designed - most adaptive cruise control has no awareness of what's happening in any lane other than the one you're driving in).

I've done a few hundred miles now with the basic autopilot and its been surprisingly good.

I had one instance of phantom breaking around J12 on the M4 going east when at night (low lighting), no cars around it seemed to get confused with an overhead bridge and gently applied the brakes.