Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom Braking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My previous post, here, has my video and Teslamate statistical evidence from 18 months ago. All that is lacking is the audio of me swearing at the car, under my breath, and the 2 teenagers in the back seat screaming and wondering what the heck was going on.
One video? The other problem is these “dangerous phantom break maneuvers” slow the car from 65 to 55 most of the times. Over plenty of time for a driver to react. Now, if you weren’t paying attention, sure, the deceleration could cause alarm. But it’s not dangerous. The stops are gradual. Certainly not slamming the brakes, even in the videos here.

Put your foot on the accelerator and move on….

I think what is lacking is a simple no-frills cruise control. On all the vehicles I've driven that have adaptive cruise or traffic assist systems, they also have the good old fashioned maintain speed you set cruise control as an option as well. Is this not something offered by Tesla?

Also, i STILL say that Tesla really should bring back the option to select regen levels. Of course, it would be buried down multiple levels and practically useless anyway.

I have no interest in driving with TACC, AP, etc, except on long boring trips. But during my 24 hour demo i had last year, it got tiring to constantly maintain the precise accelerator application at all times. Hence, the "need" for TACC or AP, just to get a break now and then. Just another way they're forcing autonomy.

In my other cars, i'm constantly letting off the accel and applying it as a normal component of driving. It sounds counter-intuitive, but i find that to be much less tiring in my limited experience (and more satisfying). Does this make sense to anyone else?

I plan to get the S3XY buttons for selecting regen level on the fly. Until they program the car so that regen selection doesn't work anymore.

One video? The other problem is these “dangerous phantom break maneuvers” slow the car from 65 to 55 most of the times. Over plenty of time for a driver to react. Now, if you weren’t paying attention, sure, the deceleration could cause alarm. But it’s not dangerous. The stops are gradual. Certainly not slamming the brakes, even in the videos here.

Put your foot on the accelerator and move on….
So slowing from 65mph to 40 mph in less than 2 seconds is gradual (check the rear or side camera videos, the brake lights come on)....and for no reason whatsoever (so completely caught off guard)?!?!

Whatever dude, I'll smoke whatever you're smoking then and maybe I'll be more at ease the next time it happens.

Reactions: sleepydoc
So slowing from 65mph to 40 mph in less than 2 seconds is gradual (check the rear or side camera videos, the brake lights come on)....and for no reason whatsoever (so completely caught off guard)?!?!

The car can slown from 65 to 40 much faster than that. What were you doing that your reaction time was 2 seconds. That is an incredibly long time.

The average humans reaction time is 250ms, if your foot is ready for the gas or brake as it should be when you are driving, 1 second should be plenty of time to react. So worst case, the deceleration would be halved, if you were paying attention

Whatever dude, I'll smoke whatever you're smoking then and maybe I'll be more at ease the next time it happens.

Yes, you should.

The car can slown from 65 to 40 much faster than that. What were you doing that your reaction time was 2 seconds. That is an incredibly long time.

The average humans reaction time is 250ms, if your foot is ready for the gas or brake as it should be when you are driving, 1 second should be plenty of time to react. So worst case, the deceleration would be halved, if you were paying attention

Yes, you should.
There's much more than just reaction time at play here, first you have to figure out what the he!! the Tesla is doing, or potentially reacting to, before you decide what the best course of action is (accelerator, brake, swerve, etc..). When the Tesla is suddenly rapidly slowing down, the least normal reaction, and typically most dangerous, is to stomp on the accelerator, but that is exactly what this major TACC bug is training us to do = Unsafe!

There's much more than just reaction time at play here, first you have to figure out what the he!! the Tesla is doing,

But you experience it all the time. Should know what is happening already 👍

or potentially reacting to, before you decide what the best course of action is (accelerator, brake, swerve, etc..).

Why would you swerve while braking? Sound’s suboptimal.

When the Tesla is suddenly rapidly slowing down, the least normal reaction, and typically most dangerous, is to stomp on the accelerator, but that is exactly what this major TACC bug is training us to do = Unsafe!
Eh, no.

08/21 Tesla MYLR owner here. I also have a 2019 VW Atlas.

Same rural roads (two lanes, one in each direction, double yellow lines between them) the MY will slam on the breaks and beep like crazy and show on the screen imminent head on collision when a truck is traveling on the other side of the road, staying within its lane. This happens 9 out of 10 times. When I use AutoPilot and see a truck coming I brace myself and start pushing on the accelerator pedal so the slamming of the breaks is not as bad. Wife has prohibited me from using it.
Interstate travel is fine.

Same exact roads, when driving the Atlas with their TACC and lane centering assist enabled, I’ve never had this problem.

I love my tesla but they really need to spend some resources looking at this.

Some people here say the number of reports is not large therefore, it is an isolated issue. My personal experience is that I had no idea I could report it. Since learning about it this week, I have done just that. Just because people don’t know they can report it is not an affirmation that this doesn’t happen often.

So what you're saying is my post was accurate. haha.
Honda's latest (i.e. newest model) TACC is vision only.

I wouldn't be surprised if every manufacturer goes to vision only for TACC, it's cheaper.
You might have seen my posts about this before but

There's a guy named George Hotz who founded a company called comma.ai back in 2015 and now offers a $1k kit you can add on to compatible vehicles and that claims it will match Autopilot's functionality. Hotz also claims that Elon offered him $12million to create a system to replace MobilEye back when that was going down and that comma.ai will be a year or two behind Tesla whenever they achieve full autonomy.

Quite a claim for what's currently a $1k aftermarket kit that I think adds a smartphone and otherwise leverages hardware already in the compatible vehicles. Mr. Hotz is very much in the same school of thought with vision-based systems and incremental improvements leading to full autonomy.

You want AutoPilot driven YOUR way.
No, I want TACC to function the same way every other auto manufacturer seems to be able to make their adaptive cruise control work. I don't even care about Autopilot maintaining the lane, I just want a constant speed with no random braking that slows down when it catches up to a car in front of it. I don't think that it's an outlandish request.

Just drive it yourself man. I am just 🤷🏽‍♂️ 🤦‍♂️
Then why are you even participating in this thread?

Also very indicative that you have never had the experience of a chauffeur driven vehicle. If you had, the chauffeur would have given you the finger and left you on your own.
Ah that's why you're a troll, makes sense now. Also just as a note any chauffeur that drives as erratically as my M3 does when TACC is engaged on a 2 lane highway would be fired...just sayin.

You know what I don't get with threads like this, why the debate and exceuses. TACC is braking when it shouldn't, this isn't a one off complaint but several users on this board alone have mentioned it. Tesla should not get a pass because they are Tesla. It just needs to be fixed before it does become a problem and someone gets hurt because they get rear-ended.

I love so many things about my M3 but this one is just killing me. I drive 100km each way to work 4 times a week and I rely on cruise quite heavily.
Because there are some that will defend Elon to the end. Regardless of Elon's history of misleading statements, missed expectations, horrid customer service, etc. Like literally there is nothing he can do, that would change the opinion of certain fanbois. And there counterargument is "well, Nissan's and Honda's have phantom braking too!" (yet if you google "phantom braking", guess which car maker's name comes up on the first 5 pages. And no other car maker. and also, as if a Tesla owner cares at all what issue a Nissan owner is having. lol)

So much emotion over this issue. Take a step back and think logically. Do you experience Phantom Braking? If yes, report it to Tesla and hope they will fix it. If they do not fix it to your satisfaction, you have three options: 1) Continue to use FSD, AP, TACC and accept the braking. 2) Stop using FSD, AP, TACC. 3) Sell your Tesla and acquire a different manufacturer vehicle that meets your needs.

Venting online is cathartic, as is commiserating with others. But lashing out and attacking strangers is counterproductive and should be self-examined.

You might have seen my posts about this before but

There's a guy named George Hotz who founded a company called comma.ai back in 2015 and now offers a $1k kit you can add on to compatible vehicles and that claims it will match Autopilot's functionality. Hotz also claims that Elon offered him $12million to create a system to replace MobilEye back when that was going down and that comma.ai will be a year or two behind Tesla whenever they achieve full autonomy.

Quite a claim for what's currently a $1k aftermarket kit that I think adds a smartphone and otherwise leverages hardware already in the compatible vehicles. Mr. Hotz is very much in the same school of thought with vision-based systems and incremental improvements leading to full autonomy.
I'm certainly familiar with comma.ai but I've never been in a vehicle with it. Openpilot isn't vision only, it uses the vehicle's built in radar.
I would definitely get it if I had a vehicle that supported it. My second vehicle is for off-roading and all the Lexus/Toyota SUVs still use hydraulic steering (though I'm guessing the new platform has finally gone to a modern electric steering rack).

Reactions: AndreP
Lucky you. That is all I can say. The lord probably keeps the ignorant safe?

This should help you understand what I am talking about
Ok, from the link you posted:

When approaching a large vehicle, keep a steady grip on your steering wheel. Larger vehicles create more air turbulence at highway speeds . . .

ummm...yeah. When you drive past a large truck there are vortices caused by the truck that can affect your car. Anyone who's driven for more than a few weeks knows that. Fortunately for all of us they invented a device called a steering wheel that works quite well and dealing with these issues. It also works for wind gusts and avoiding obstacles.

The lord helped me by giving me a good brain. I thank him by using it every day.

So much emotion over this issue. Take a step back and think logically. Do you experience Phantom Braking? If yes, report it to Tesla and hope they will fix it. If they do not fix it to your satisfaction, you have three options: 1) Continue to use FSD, AP, TACC and accept the braking. 2) Stop using FSD, AP, TACC. 3) Sell your Tesla and acquire a different manufacturer vehicle that meets your needs.

Venting online is cathartic, as is commiserating with others. But lashing out and attacking strangers is counterproductive and should be self-examined.

Except how do you report it to Tesla - there’s no formal method for doing so. Tesla is known for responding to social media, so here we are…

Of course, reading this thread I‘ve learned that there’s no such thing as phantom braking. It’s all functioning as designed. Nothing more to see here. say 10 “hail Elon’s” and move along!

But you experience it all the time. Should know what is happening already 👍
so people should be able to predict the unpredictable. Got it.
Why would you swerve while braking? Sound’s suboptimal.
Well, if the car’s slamming on the brakes because there’s an obstacle in the way swerving to avoid would seem much more optimal than hitting it. At least to most people. you can go ahead and hit it if you like.
Actually yes. It’s a classic deconditioning or ‘boy who cried wolf’ response. After using Tesla’s cruise control for a while you learn that it will randomly brake for no reason. Pretty soon, your first instinct is to hit the accelerator before you have people blaring on their horns, swerving around you or rear ending you.

Reactions: COS Blue and Stach
"Except how do you report it to Tesla". Open a web browser, type www.google.com In the search field, type "report a problem to tesla" and press enter. You'll find several articles about how to do so, including links to Tesla's website for customer support. If none of those options work for you, or you've had a poor experience with them, then I refer you back to option #3.