Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone App: iPhone/Android app

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
^^^ Yes, same with me night before last. Charge Started message came on time just after midnight PDT. Charge Ended notice was over 3 hours late arriving, even though the text of the message itself had the proper time stamp when the charge most likely ended. I've not had this happen before. My only theory to myself was Tesla had some sort of backup with their servers which delayed the messages getting back out on time.

Anyone recently having issue where the app randomly won't connect to the vehicle? I don't have power saving mode turned on on the vehicle and always stay connected checked. When launching the app, it wouldn't connect and error with "Vehicle Connection Error" on occasions more frequently than before.

Anyone recently having issue where the app randomly won't connect to the vehicle? I don't have power saving mode turned on on the vehicle and always stay connected checked. When launching the app, it wouldn't connect and error with "Vehicle Connection Error" on occasions more frequently than before.
Power Saving should not effect communication to your MS one way or the other. Please clarify, as I'm not 100% sure from your wording -- sorry: Do you have Always Connected Checked? You should if you don't want to wait for an extended period for a response, but if that's the case, my past experience more than a year ago was the Tesla app just sat spinning-around until it eventually connected 20-30 min later -- with lack of more detailed release notes, I'm unsure if they may have changed what happens with some sort of timeout, and maybe now are presenting the error msg you are receiving.

From previous reports, the message you are receiving tends to happen with vehicles out of both WiFi AND cellular connection, e.g. owners that park in concrete parking garages or basements, and maybe where WiFi is problematic but your MS has connected itself that way -- unless of course there is a spurious problem with Tesla Servers, or perhaps your MS is updating firmware and not being responsive. When you have the problem, does your CID show you have solid connectivity to one or the other (my experience is 1-bar cellular can be problematic, as was low quality WiFi in my garage until I improved that soon after taking delivery.)

I assume you are running the latest version of the Tesla App on your smartphone. My suggestion is to then reboot both your MS (park, foot on brake, press both scroll wheels until Tesla T appears on the CID, when you can release all three), and reboot your smartphone -- either iPhone or Android (not sure which you have), and then restart the Tesla app. If you still have problems, I'd call the Tesla 800# (7x24) and see if they can help. Good luck.

How do you view a history of messages in the Android app? It tells me via app notification (not email, not text, not SMS) when charging starts and ends. I'd like to see a history of those messages.

If you don't dismiss/open the notifications, they all stack up in Android. They are also timestamped since Lollipop (or KitKat?). The app does not store a history of notifications. So if you dismiss/open the notifications, they are gone.

• Informative
Reactions: Dameon
Ahh the mobile app... I love Model S and can totally live with things like these issues, but it sure is worth it to think about limitations here. The car-phone integration, one of the top 3 things that got me to consider stretching my budget to Model S in the first place, has lagged behind to the point that we're often now less capable than the typical rental car.

We get new software features that seem planned to have more splash than substance for instance the (admittedly great) "Keep Climate On" feature was released before "Cabin Protect" was finished -- it doesn't seem to care about freezing, which is far deadlier than overheating, so not sure who or what it was designed to protect (space in the headlines at a certain time ?). Sure ya, we should expect to feel like beta testers, in a product and a company that are being designed and re-designed in real time, but some things are just absurd when considered in the mainstream.

Let's review the mobile app limitations that impact me personally to see if there are trends.
  • Rear Defroster and Subzero Package heaters - never available from the app.
  • Sunroof settings - removed (other than vent and close).
  • Control of the windows - was on the fob, and removed, but I'm not sure about app ?
  • Sending the NAV a trip (well one single destination as that's all we currently have) - never available or even planned ?
  • Keep Climate Control On - can deactivate but not activate from the app.
  • Scheduling activities - never available.
I've suspected that any stress to the 12V "backup" system was out of consideration due to what I imagine are excessive warranty claims. But now coinciding with the Model 3's (much better) design providing a 12V rail right in the pack, it seems that the idea of leaving the traction pack engaged in the Model S/X is more acceptable. But perhaps this is only if they remain engaged, when a human is at the car, versus engaging them from a distance, as I can't think of any action at the app that would do this except Summon (which in most of the world is only in fob proximity).

So perhaps a possible hazard / liability issue is keeping me from being able to activate the front and rear electric window defrosters when my Model S is parked outside and frosted over, because the power requirements would require the contactors to engage in the traction pack, but I'm not right there ? If that's the case then at least let me do it when in fob range without having to get into the car, please. Winter is not only no fun, it's dangerous.

Just got my MS a week ago. Very happy with the new car. But I have to admit the Volvo app had some nice features, the Tesla app is lacking:
  • Trip log information going back 100 days
  • Abilty to send an address to your car navigation system ready to go when you enter the car (after a confirmation of the received address).
    I know you can do kind of the same via you agenda, but is a bit more cumbersome. It was a cool fearure: via iphone you could just send and addres to a range of apps. If you selected the Volvo app the address would be sent to thr car. Worked like a charm.

Reactions: Shaggy
Just got my MS a week ago. Very happy with the new car. But I have to admit the Volvo app had some nice features, the Tesla app is lacking:
  • Trip log information going back 100 days
  • Abilty to send an address to your car navigation system ready to go when you enter the car (after a confirmation of the received address).
    I know you can do kind of the same via you agenda, but is a bit more cumbersome. It was a cool fearure: via iphone you could just send and addres to a range of apps. If you selected the Volvo app the address would be sent to thr car. Worked like a charm.
Not a free solution but TeslaFi will give you much more information and logging features. Re sending a link, I agree that Tesla OEM app should have that feature. I use my calendar app to send URLs to the car but it's difficult to send routes or destination.

Quick question for those running the Tesla app on a Droid.

Is there a way to adjust/calibrate the cars location? It's currently showing that my car is parked 5 houses down the street and I've noticed that it is "off" about the same distance when I'm parked at work as well.