Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone as Key Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nexus 5x here. Works 99% of the time after turning off battery optimization for four apps/services: Tesla, Bluetooth, Google Connectivity Services, and Companion Device Manager.

Let me know if that improves the phone key.
Moto G5 Plus here (just repeating for newcomers :) ) and of that list, only one name matched perfectly: Tesla. For Bluetooth I have "Bluetooth Share" and "Bluetooth MIDI Service". No "Google Connectivity Services" and no "Companion Device Manager" on my end. I already had Tesla as "not optimized", though, but I added Bluetooth Share to not optimize battery.

My next clue is Android Wear (ugh... Wear OS, I hate that name). I have a LG Watch Urbane 2 that lives on my wrist so much I have a nasty tan-line from it and forgot all this time that it might affect things. It's always Bluetooth-connected. I'm starting to wonder if that's causing the problems...

After a little testing if the battery tweak on Bluetooth Share does anything, I'll try switching my watch to airplane mode (making it invisible to the phone) and see if that does anything next.

• Informative
Reactions: dduffey
Update.

My last post was May 17. It has worked almost perfectly for 21 days in a row.

I restart my phone every morning, or night before.

I say almost:

about 11 days in, it didn't work... so I used my card... even with a phone reset. then I figured out... oh, I switched cars on the app. I rarely switch cars, and I did the night before and didn't switch it back. So I'm going to give myself the benefit of the doubt and say it would've worked.

Then 2 nights ago, it let me into the car, but then it wouldn't start. I used my card. It did lock on walkaway without using the card, meaning it was detecting my phone.

So, I've slowly gained confidence in my phone as key... I still have a moment of uncertainty when I go to open the door. But it has lightened over the past 3 weeks.

hoping I didn't jinx myself.
update:
My last post was June 5, so almost 2 months. Well, I went on vacation for 2 weeks. Phone/key worked fine when I came back. Then less than a week later, i got a new phone. switched from Galaxy S7 to S9. So, it's been almost 6 weeks with the new phone, and it's worked 100%.

I still restart my phone everyday. Sometimes, it doesn't open, and I use the 'keep the pressure on the handle' technique, and it works after less than 5 seconds. One time, it took about 10 sec. I just stood there with the pressure, and it opened. In the past, that would have been a failure, because I would not have waited. One time, it took about 30 sec. That one, I panicked a little, and did the push push push... it eventually opened.

I feel it the lock/open is completely independent of the app (aside from having to have the right car on display), and my bluetooth permissions are nonexistent other than the Model 3. I just this past weekend, paired the new phone to the S (sits next to 3 in garage)... but I don't think I ever connect to it, since I don't carry my fob. We'll see if this affects the success rate.

Also, I think the waking up the car issue is a big limiter. I've been using summon in the morning, and since the last update, it's been consistently connecting, but that also wakes up the car and probably helps in the key connectivity.

So, since my last post, I've had zero failures. Things are looking up.

Moto G5 Plus here (just repeating for newcomers :) ) and of that list, only one name matched perfectly: Tesla. For Bluetooth I have "Bluetooth Share" and "Bluetooth MIDI Service". No "Google Connectivity Services" and no "Companion Device Manager" on my end. I already had Tesla as "not optimized", though, but I added Bluetooth Share to not optimize battery.

My next clue is Android Wear (ugh... Wear OS, I hate that name). I have a LG Watch Urbane 2 that lives on my wrist so much I have a nasty tan-line from it and forgot all this time that it might affect things. It's always Bluetooth-connected. I'm starting to wonder if that's causing the problems...

After a little testing if the battery tweak on Bluetooth Share does anything, I'll try switching my watch to airplane mode (making it invisible to the phone) and see if that does anything next.

I too have a LG Android watch. I ended up turning off Bluetooth calls because it would not give up the phone audio easily to the Model 3. I do not wear it consistently so do not know if there is a correlation to interferring with unlock. I will pay more attention to this.

Just in case anyone was curious it appears the Model X fobs could work with the Model 3 (as of the most recent owners manual), the fob is listed as only having 2.4Ghz support no support for 315Mhz. Interestingly the Model S fobs aren't listed as having 2.4Ghz support, nor is it pointed out in the FCC listing for the body controller.

i have updated my oneplus 5 to a custom rom based on AOSP, we'll see if that helps. i was able to disable battery optimization for bluetooth and companion device manager with this new rom, where i was not able to do so with oxygen os. i'll keep everyone posted.

i have updated my oneplus 5 to a custom rom based on AOSP, we'll see if that helps. i was able to disable battery optimization for bluetooth and companion device manager with this new rom, where i was not able to do so with oxygen os. i'll keep everyone posted.

Let me know how it works. I have a 5, and it seems to always work if the phone is unlocked but almost never works if it's locked. I suspect the phone is putting Bluetooth to sleep.

Reactions: crackers8199
So I've had my 3 since 7/25. Today, the phone key chose not to work. I had the card with me and got me to work. Here I got to read through the comments here to understand what had happened. Phone seems to work just fine now after a few of the tricks I learned from all of you. So thanks.

My hope is that Tesla comes up with a fob you can hang on to your key chain. The phone is nice because it has extra features but a fob like the S and X has would be less of a hassle. I would pay an extra $50 or less for a fob. Tesla should make it available for those that prefer a fob.

Reactions: JES2 and N5329K
Let me know how it works. I have a 5, and it seems to always work if the phone is unlocked but almost never works if it's locked. I suspect the phone is putting Bluetooth to sleep.

very small sample size, but promising so far. i ran to the store and came home to drop something off for my wife, was out of the car long enough for it to lock but not very long at all (maybe 30 seconds), and when i walked back up to the car and pressed the handle it unlocked. it took a second and "unlocked!" came up on the screen, which i hadn't seen before...but previously that never would have worked.

i'll see how it does the rest of today and the next few days and report back.

• Informative
Reactions: JES2 and Dynastar
I would just like to take a moment to say congrats to Tesla for the PHONE AS KEY ISSUES thread reaching 51 pages!

Clearly this was a well-thought out idea that took all the possible difficulties in to consideration. Not.

GIVES US A FOB ALREADY! This system will never be fully reliable in the long term.

Almost as many pages as the NON SUPERCHARGER Supercharger for Fort Stockton, TX. Post to this forum really makes a difference....:rolleyes:

My phone as key is finally working more consistently once I bought a phone with Bluetooth LE V.5.0. I also recently received a firmware upgrade to my Model 3 and now the phone key action is much more consistent.

My phone paired to the center screen but it wouldn’t unlock the car. I reopened the Tesla app and the phone key read disconnected. I understand that the BLE receiver on the car is different than the Bluetooth used for the center screen, but it proves that my phone isn’t the problem.

My wife and I got a call Wednesday from our local Tesla store asking if we want a test drive. Of course we said YES, and scheduled one the next morning at 10am (when they open up). It was the Performance version so after my wife drove it out, I drove it back. It does have a lot more ---- accelerating up a hill than our Model S 75D, but since both my wife and I drive more like Hypermilers than Drag Racers it does not mean that much to us. What does mean something is the Free Supercharging for life if we have need to drive this one on trips. Currently all our trips are in the Model S, so maybe the kids using it for weekend Snow Boarding trips and such.

Anyway, we still have not decided to spend the extra money on the P version or just wait until the D version comes out with the interior that she wants. No Black, and not happy with White. She is afraid the White will start looking dirty or stained.

Anyone with White seats have any issue with them not looking clean or not being able to keep clean? Comments appreciated.

Oh, and the original purpose of this post:

The Sales Associate told us, as we were approaching the car, that the Phone as Key was the primary method of using the Model 3 and that the Key Card was secondary. I told him what I read earlier that Tesla is now calling the Key Card Primary.

after about a week of using it with the custom ROM, and the following three apps not optimized: tesla, bluetooth, and custom device manager, the only time i can remember it not working is when i was an idiot and turned bluetooth off on my phone overnight (so no kidding, of course it didn't work)...

every other time all week, i can't remember it failing once. sometimes it's quicker than others (a few times i remember having to push the handle in and waiting a second until it unlocked), most of the time i was able to push and open the door simultaneously, but it worked every time.

Reactions: Dynastar